HbA1c and low BS episodes

Melgar

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This maybe a daft question with an obvious answer, but do hypo events have an impact on your HbA1c results. I have completely random hypos (They are being investigated) and I wondered how much of an impact they have, if any. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 86

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
hypos and forum bugs
Looks like a faulty CGM, it happens.
If your average BG was 1 you'd be dead in a corner somewhere, or you're an alien so welcome
It looks to me that the numbers at the top refer to the number of events, not the glucose values then.

@Melgar , my understanding is that hba1c is a measure of average glucose, so lots of hypos will pull your level down. Do you know how low you are going?

@Lamont D might have some comments to make on this....

• Agree
Reactions: Antje77

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Melgar are the lows on the Libre corroborated by finger pricks? I’ve had sensors which have run very low.

It also seems most (but not all) of the lows are at night, so at least some of them could be compression lows depending on where the sensor is as you sleep?

Do you notice any symptoms when you’re low?

Melgar

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks @EllieM for your answer. That is what i thought, but was not sure. As for my lows Goonergal, I thought they may be compression lows so I changed the placement of my sensor to the top pf my chest, it made no difference. My sensor registers my lows between 1.9 and 3. Now, I don't think they are as bad as what my reader is saying as I am aware that the sensor becomes inaccurate at those lows. What i can say is I become symptomatic, I wake up with my heart pounding, I feel anxious and sweaty. I do go and check my bs with a finger prick and they are they are still below 3.5. I did write about my lows in a previous post to which @Lamont D kindly responded with some interesting thoughts and suggestions around reactive hypos and Insulin resistance which may cause the over production of insulin. @Lamont D has also suggested I read about Reactive Hypoglycemia posts on the RH forums here. I am also aware it is very rare to get lows when not taking glucose reducing meds. I do get lows during the day, but I am able to stop them with a carb intake. These lows are completely random, no pattern to them. I have taken a screen shot of this morning's chart which is my usual bs graph which I don't think is bad at all. When i have these lows my graph average lowers, my night time bs bumps along the 3.9 then dips down. Sometimes during the day it will look like a reactive hypo where my bs plunges down below 3.9. When I am going through one of these episodes my morning fasting bs is much lower, around 4.5. This change lasts about a day, maybe two before resuming. My average bs is very slowly going up. Hopefully they will do tests and I will get some answers :)

Reactions: Lamont D

Melgar

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sorry I was unable to attach this mornings chart. This is my usual morning graph without the low episodes.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-10-26 at 5.40.30 AM.jpg
    Screenshot 2022-10-26 at 5.40.30 AM.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 64
  • Agree
Reactions: MrsA2