HbA1c disappointing!

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Do celebrate your brilliant result your two hbac1s were very close together you’re doing really well don’t let this feeling derail your good work it’s all in right direction

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sue, I genuinely do not get why you were so upset. Your body simply does not process food (carbs) in the same way as a person without diabetes, no matter what you do. To get it down to such a level is simply a fantastic achievement. I sometimes think that you read so much about type 1's (or others) getting their hb1's down to 4.2 or whatever that the rest of us who cannot do this (or don't particularly feel the need) are left feeling inadequate. I fully understand the concept of achieving 'normal person' results but if it is at the expense of your mental health then what is the point. I am certainly NOT advocating the 'oh, well, what can I do about it' approach and I too, like my numbers to be below 6 but I refuse to place so much pressure on myself when at the end of the day, it IS a malfunction of the body. WELL DONE!!!!!

Hiitsme

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Very well done. As a type 1 you have so much to balance and as long as you're not having too many hypos this is an amazing result.

Reactions: renthompson

cireland

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi everyone,
I've just had my results back for HbA1c before going to the consultant next week and to say I'm disappointed would be a huge understatement. Just needed to share, sorry there's no one at home
When diagnosed in Aug 2017 it was 13% or 119 mmols.
Down to 8.2% or 66mmols a month later
Jan this year 5.7% or 39 mmols
19th Feb EXACTLY THE SAME!!!

I've been so good, it just doesn't seem fair. I'm the one who's always banging on about being positive and I need to say "OK, it's not gone up and I almost never have to do bolus" Win but I have to admit I'm very sad.

That's fantastic. genuinely not sure why you need to it go any lower. I've been 5.4% for the past 18 months which I think is incredible. Just like your results. Chin Up!

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
That's fantastic. genuinely not sure why you need to it go any lower. I've been 5.4% for the past 18 months which I think is incredible. Just like your results. Chin Up!
To be honest, I'm still sort of thinking they've made the wrong diagnosis. Call it denial but I think I was in a very high state of nutritional ketosis but again I'm not sure. I know I wasn't eating any carbs and very little protein:)

davidopong

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone,
I've just had my results back for HbA1c before going to the consultant next week and to say I'm disappointed would be a huge understatement. Just needed to share, sorry there's no one at home

I've been so good, it just doesn't seem fair. I'm the one who's always banging on about being positive and I need to say "OK, it's not gone up and I almost never have to do bolus" Win but I have to admit I'm very sad.
My dear. There's so much to be thankful for. You have done tremendously well and rather need commendation for your brilliant efforts. Your story is indeed an inspiration to some of us and I believe your next A1c will show you how wonderful you've been over the period. Chin up my dear and cheer up for a job well done

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
My dear. There's so much to be thankful for. You have done tremendously well and rather need commendation for your brilliant efforts. Your story is indeed an inspiration to some of us and I believe your next A1c will show you how wonderful you've been over the period. Chin up my dear and cheer up for a job well done
Thanks for the kind words. I haven't changed the way I eat very much from the time I was labelled so the encouragement and congrats are, although well-meaning, not deserved. Thanks anyway. Being disappointed was only a momentary brainstorm, I'm back to my feisty self now:happy:

davidopong

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for the kind words. I haven't changed the way I eat very much from the time I was labelled so the encouragement and congrats are, although well-meaning, not deserved. Thanks anyway. Being disappointed was only a momentary brainstorm, I'm back to my feisty self now:happy:
Good! That's the spirit

membrew

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
lies
Hi everyone,

Very well done with your results. Like most of us, I too would like a result like that.
I also am very sad about my recent review/result.
May I ask you all a question please? For some months now I have been having reading from 5.0 to 7.0. I recently had annual blood tests done and when the results came back the hospital said the reading is above average at 59mmol and they also record it as non fasting and it was a fasting blood test.
Does it make much difference if it non fasting or fasting.
Dr wants to give me an additional tablet 'Linagliptin, to go with my twice daily dose of 2 x 500gr Metformin. I said I was unhappy about this and we agreed not to take the additional for 3 months.
It was suggested I test more often but our surgery like most of the country does not provide the materials for this.

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Very well done with your results. Like most of us, I too would like a result like that.
I also am very sad about my recent review/result.
May I ask you all a question please? For some months now I have been having reading from 5.0 to 7.0. I recently had annual blood tests done and when the results came back the hospital said the reading is above average at 59mmol and they also record it as non fasting and it was a fasting blood test.
Dr wants to give me an additional tablet 'Linagliptin, to go with my twice daily dose of 2 x 500gr Metformin. I said I was unhappy about this and we agreed not to take the additional for 3 months.
It was suggested I test more often but our surgery like most of the country does not provide the materials for this.
Hi, and thanks.
My blood test was a fasting one and that's the way I always do it but to be honest, I don't know if it makes a difference. Getting readings in the 5-7 range is good. I suppose it does take time for the body to get rid of the excess sugar in the blood so just keep at it. Why don't you want to take another set of medicines?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only

An HbA1c of 59 is equal to an average meter reading of 9.3. If your HbA1c is accurate, this means you have not been catching all your peaks after eating, so testing more often after eating is a good idea. That means testing an hour after first bite, 90 minutes, 2 hours, and half hourly thereafter until you are back down again. Even this may not be enough. I appreciate it requires a lot of test strips, but we are stuck with self funding if our surgery doesn't supply enough.

For the HbA1c test it is not necessary to fast. It is an average over the previous 2 to 3 months, so what you ate for breakfast will make zero difference.

If your red blood cells are standard, the HbA1c is most likely accurate enough. If, however, you have irregular red blood cells such as with certain types of anaemia or if you have thyroid issues, it may be falsely elevated, or indeed falsely lowered.

agwagw

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
That's a result I just dream of! I've been approx 9% for donkey's years, only down to about 7% this year due to my Libre sensor.

Very well done!

Reactions: Dodo
That’s a great result and I have no idea why anyone would be unhappy with that?
I was diagnosed T1 (after a miss diagnosis of T2 for a few years) last year and was regularly hitting mid to high 20 - 30mmol before having to go on to insulin instantly.
A couple of months later and I’m still hitting results within a wide range from near hypo ‘lo’s to high teens.
If you have managed to stabilised your results to ‘anywhere’ between 5 (to drive) and 7, you should be over the moon?

Reactions: Dodo and JeanCL