SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Hi everyone,
I've just had my results back for HbA1c before going to the consultant next week and to say I'm disappointed would be a huge understatement. Just needed to share, sorry there's no one at home
When diagnosed in Aug 2017 it was 13% or 119 mmols.
Down to 8.2% or 66mmols a month later
Jan this year 5.7% or 39 mmols
19th Feb EXACTLY THE SAME!!!

I've been so good, it just doesn't seem fair. I'm the one who's always banging on about being positive and I need to say "OK, it's not gone up and I almost never have to do bolus" Win but I have to admit I'm very sad.

Reactions: Prem51

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
That’s a brilliant HbA1c result though, and so soon after your last one. You wouldn’t see a big drop in such a short time now that you’re so close to normal levels.

I do understand your frustration though xxx

Reactions: Prem51 and Hpetal

eggs11

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Don't be sad, your results are brilliant - I believe the lower the number the slower it will be to change and it is very soon after your last one. I think you've done amazingly well, so don't sell yourself short!

Reactions: Prem51 and ziggy_w

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Genuinely, that is a wonderful result! You should be dancing round the house in delight at that? What were you expecting it to be?

Edited to add - HbA1c is an average over the previous 2 to 3 months, so that takes you back to November!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Celebrate and relax. :D

Are you aiming for Bernstein’s target levels? If so, i appreciate the man is brilliant, but his numbers are unrealistic for most of us.

Reactions: Kbarbaracollins_

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
I know how you feel, I felt the same just before Christmas. If this were a game of cards for life and you could stick with this number indefinitely, it would be a serious consideration to stick, as at this figure complications should not be on the horizon. We should both celebrate being below 42 as this is a good achievement, the majority don't get to.

Reactions: jon1980

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
WOW.... I would be VERY happy with 5.7%
Dont beat yourself up over those HBA1C results they are amazing

D

Deleted Account

If you have achieved this with type 1 without fighting hypos most days, this is amazing.
I agree with everyone else: it is something to celebrate feel disappointed that you are not better than someone without diabetes.

Reactions: Kbarbaracollins_

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Hi everyone,
I've just had my results back for HbA1c before going to the consultant next week and to say I'm disappointed would be a huge understatement. Just needed to share, sorry there's no one at home
When diagnosed in Aug 2017 it was 13% or 119 mmols.
Down to 8.2% or 66mmols a month later
Jan this year 5.7% or 39 mmols
19th Feb EXACTLY THE SAME!!!

I've been so good, it just doesn't seem fair. I'm the one who's always banging on about being positive and I need to say "OK, it's not gone up and I almost never have to do bolus" Win but I have to admit I'm very sad.
How low do you want it?
By the way your second 39 is fantastic :)

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well I'd be very happy with that result! And so should you be too - you've proved that you can reduce your levels down to non-diabetic and are keeping them there.

I've found over the last four years my HbA1c results are pretty stable but go up and down a little each time - but I'm not a well oiled robot, so I expect a little variation, and as long as I don't get huge changes, I feel I'm doing OK - as my mum used to say "What more do you want - jam on it???"! :wideyed::D

So have a gold star instead and sit back and congratulate yourself...

gold_star.png
Robbity

Attachments

• gold_star.png
    gold_star.png
    10.3 KB · Views: 479
Reactions: porl69

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
@SueJB Please don't be hard on yourself - i've had t1 6 years now and never got a HbA1c that good, I wish I could as I work so hard at this but despite my best efforts I am unable to - give yourself a pat on the back and go a bit easier on yourself.

River83

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You shouldn't be disappointed with these results, as others have said there hasn't been long between the last two and anyway, 5.7% is good and better than most will achieve. I'm aiming for 5.5% however it is proving a challenge...
03/17 - 7.1%
08/17 - 6.6%
11/17 - 6.4%
02/18 - 6.2%
I'm aiming for sub 5.9% on my next test.

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Don't be sad, your results are brilliant - I believe the lower the number the slower it will be to change and it is very soon after your last one. I think you've done amazingly well, so don't sell yourself short!
Good thinking, "selling me short", you're right

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Well I'd be very happy with that result! And so should you be too - you've proved that you can reduce your levels down to non-diabetic and are keeping them there.

I've found over the last four years my HbA1c results are pretty stable but go up and down a little each time - but I'm not a well oiled robot, so I expect a little variation, and as long as I don't get huge changes, I feel I'm doing OK - as my mum used to say "What more do you want - jam on it???"! :wideyed::D

So have a gold star instead and sit back and congratulate yourself...

View attachment 25445
Robbity
Right!! well done you and the quote from your mum. Yes I do want jam on it... the stuff I made in July last year:D

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
@SueJB Please don't be hard on yourself - i've had t1 6 years now and never got a HbA1c that good, I wish I could as I work so hard at this but despite my best efforts I am unable to - give yourself a pat on the back and go a bit easier on yourself.
A big pat to you too and thanks for the kind words.:happy:

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
You shouldn't be disappointed with these results, as others have said there hasn't been long between the last two and anyway, 5.7% is good and better than most will achieve. I'm aiming for 5.5% however it is proving a challenge...
03/17 - 7.1%
08/17 - 6.6%
11/17 - 6.4%
02/18 - 6.2%
I'm aiming for sub 5.9% on my next test.
Keep going and keep trying, the replies I've had from my post are all so encouraging:happy:

Reactions: renthompson