hba1c reading of 70

greensquares

Can anyone tells me what this means and if it converts to other figures. my dr tells me that i am diabetic. i am on 2 tablets of metaformin daily.

also how many cals/g of macronutrients i should be aiming for daily - i know it will only be a rough idea because we are all individuals but some advice is better than where i am at the moment.

i don't have access to a nutrionist unfortunately.

can't get appt to see anyone face to face except to have bloods taken.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @greensquares and welcome!

An HbA1c of 70 is high, but not off the scale! Many people on here have reduced from a similar number (or higher) to non-diabetic levels using either diet only or diet and metformin, so there is hope!

The threshold for diagnosis in the UK is 48, with 42-47 counting as prediabetes, so that gives an idea of where you are on the scale - and this chart will allow you to see how that equates to individual blood sugar readings.

In terms of what to eat, I wouldn’t over complicate things by worrying about precise macros. The key is to reduce your carbohydrate intake as all carbs turn to sugar in the blood. The simple version of this would be to suggest eating fresh, real foods with as few ingredients as possible so meat, fish, eggs, dairy and above ground veg. Slightly more complicated if you’re vegetarian, but there are links on here if needed.

I’d suggest starting with the dietdoctor.com website for more information (no need to sign up for the paid options unless you want to).

You may also find this information helpful: https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/basic-information-for-newly-diagnosed-diabetics.17088/

E58634BB-1622-4E5A-864D-18045DFBA71C.png

edited for typo

Last edited:
Reactions: ziggy_w

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Hi @greensquares and welcome to the forums.

An hba1c of 70 corresponds to an average blood sugar of 11mmol/L over the last 3 months (or 198mg/dL if you are using US units). Non diabetics normally stay between 4 and 8 mmol/L so you can see that that reading makes you well and truly diabetic.:):)

I am assuming that your doctor says you are T2 diabetic? (Most likely at your age but it's not impossible for you to be slow onset T1).

As a T2, you don't process carbs well, you are insulin resistant and produce more and more insulin to attempt to use the carbs in your diet. Eventually, your insulin resistance increases to the point where your body can't cope with the carb load and your blood sugar goes up above normal.

The easiest way to reduce your levels is to eat less carbs (imagine if you were gluten intolerant, you'd cut down on bread), and many of the T2s here have returned their levels to normal by doing this.)

@Goonergal has supplied some useful links but I'm going to add this quick start guide by @JoKalsbeek
JoKalsbeek's blog | Diabetes Forum • The Global Diabetes Community

Your doctor will assume that you won't change your diet and give you an escalating set of drugs culminating in insulin injections after sufficient years. Plenty of people do this but it is a choice. If you aren't wedded to carbs I'd suggest trying to restrict them before going the heavy duty medication route.

Metformin is a mild drug which has a number of benefits other than that of slightly lowering your blood sugar. Some people find it gives them gastric issues but you may well find that it works for you. Particularly if you lower your carbs at the same time. :)

Good luck.

Reactions: Dr Snoddy

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @greensquares and welcome to the forum.
I was diagnosed type 2 nearly four years ago, my HbA1c was also 70. I started on Metformin and low carb eating. Initially kept to under 100g/ day then gradually reduced them further. After 2 months my HbA1c was down to 45 (pre-diabetic), then after a further two months it was down into the thirties (non diabetic). I have maintained these numbers with Metformin and carbs of under 45 daily since.

Reactions: Dr Snoddy