HbA1c

HfxBaz

Phoned my surgery and asked what my result was before Christmas, they said my hba1c came back @ 46.
What does this mean??

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Phoned my surgery and asked what my result was before Christmas, they said my hba1c came back @ 46.
What does this mean??
A HbA1c is the average blood glucose of the past 3 months, weighing slightly more heavily on the most recent two weeks. 46 is the prediabetic range, so time to take the bull by the horns and fix it before damage starts being done.

Reactions: HfxBaz

HfxBaz

A HbA1c is the average blood glucose of the past 3 months, weighing slightly more heavily on the most recent two weeks. 46 is the prediabetic range, so time to take the bull by the horns and fix it before damage starts being done.
So any increase on 46 between now and July will have me knocking on the door of t2 and asking to join the club

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So any increase on 46 between now and July will have me knocking on the door of t2 and asking to join the club

Look at it this way: It's a chance! Prediabetes was in my medical file for YEARS, and no-one told me about it. If I'd known, I would've googled it, and would have found out it wasn't fats that were my problem, but carbs. I wouldn't've become a diabetic before I even hit 40. It's a chance to turn things around that not all of us are given. Hit the low carb regime, go for walks, and kick the prediabetes to the curb. I don't know if you're noticing anything of slightly elevated blood sugars, like fatigue for instance, but you can head this off before non alcoholic fatty liver disease is a real painful problem, before your eyes or kidneys are damaged.... You can sort it out and avoid a whole lot of grief.

You've got a shot to avoid a world of hurt. Grab on to it with both hands!

HfxBaz

Look at it this way: It's a chance! Prediabetes was in my medical file for YEARS, and no-one told me about it. If I'd known, I would've googled it, and would have found out it wasn't fats that were my problem, but carbs. I wouldn't've become a diabetic before I even hit 40. It's a chance to turn things around that not all of us are given. Hit the low carb regime, go for walks, and kick the prediabetes to the curb. I don't know if you're noticing anything of slightly elevated blood sugars, like fatigue for instance, but you can head this off before non alcoholic fatty liver disease is a real painful problem, before your eyes or kidneys are damaged.... You can sort it out and avoid a whole lot of grief.

You've got a shot to avoid a world of hurt. Grab on to it with both hands!
Fatigue - I'm always tired as sleep can be a problem, I can sleep for 2 hours then I'm up again or up to 7 hours. I already have an inherited eye problem so not much else can go wrong there, I'm having LFTs or whatever they are called now re done in march as 'something' came back on my last lot, GP wasn't clear on what..

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I notice from the photo used - presumably that is you - that your neck is quite thick just under the jawline - have you ever been checked for sleep apnoea?
I was stopping breathing and my oxygen levels dropped - going right off the graph when I was checked overnight. I have a CPAP machine, but these days my neck is a lot thinner and my voice a lot clearer too.
One symptom of apnoea is snoring, by the way.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Fatigue - I'm always tired as sleep can be a problem, I can sleep for 2 hours then I'm up again or up to 7 hours. I already have an inherited eye problem so not much else can go wrong there, I'm having LFTs or whatever they are called now re done in march as 'something' came back on my last lot, GP wasn't clear on what..
I could barely get out of bed when I was diagnosed, and I blamed it on my wonky thyroid for the years before that happened. I think you'll find that'll clear up a lot. That's just it, if you get stuck in right now you can improve your quality of life. You don't have to go through the nightmare I went through, the pain, the "It's probably cancer of the liver" which it wasn't, just non alcoholic fatty liver disease which is okay now, bla bla bla... Things got really grim. You can avoid that. Things can get better, and you can feel better in a few weeks time. And as @Resurgam mentions, sleep apnea for me is a thing of the past too (used to wake up choking, and snored like a lumberjack), so if that's an issue for you, that can be improved too. (Might also be an idea to get your thyroid checked.)

My diagnosis is the best thing that ever happened to me, I just wish it had happened before things got really bad. For you, it doesn't have to go that route.

HfxBaz

I notice from the photo used - presumably that is you - that your neck is quite thick just under the jawline - have you ever been checked for sleep apnoea?
I was stopping breathing and my oxygen levels dropped - going right off the graph when I was checked overnight. I have a CPAP machine, but these days my neck is a lot thinner and my voice a lot clearer too.
One symptom of apnoea is snoring, by the way.
oh yep that's me, never been tested for it. Oh I snore I've even woke up to my own snoring

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My sleep was much improved once my husband lost weight and stopped snoring as a consequence.
Just saying .
BTW he only lost a stone or so but it made a huge difference to the snoring