Hbac1 55

Bluegrey2019

Hi so my husbands numbers just came back as this the diabetic nurse wants to run another blood test as His glucose levels were normal.

How bad Is the number above is it into full blown type 2 or is it pre-diabetic levels. Sorry to ask but he didnt ask any questions

What do we do going forward the nurse said avoid potatoes according to him I'm sure there is more but that's all I got.

Any advice would be really helpful thanks

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome
HbA1c levels in the UK are looked on as follows
42-47 mmol/m pre diabetes
48 mmol/m and above Type 2
So your husband has T2 .

Most of us here have found that a low carb diet has helped bring blood sugars under control (along with a slew of other health benefits).
That means cutting out starchy foods like spuds, flour, rice. So cut down or remove bread, pasta and obviously anything sweet and sugary.
Eat lots of meat, fish, green veg.

55 mmol/m isn't horrendously high (mine on diagnosis was 87 mmol/m) so dietary changes should be fine to bring it back under control.

Bluegrey2019

Thanks for reply that for him is going to be a big problem he is a bit of a bread lover. I can't imagine he will want to give it up.

Do you have to eliminate potatoes rice and pasta or can you eat them in less amounts then exercise to help insulin levels.

I need to get him on board for changing as he has already said that number isn't too bad. I've gone gluten free but I'm not low carbing as a vegetarian family rice and potatoes pad out meals

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
he is a bit of a bread lover
I was too.. had to give it up completely .. it was an addiction really.. cold turkey was the best cure.

I gave up all starchy food completely and now eat virtually animal products only.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for reply that for him is going to be a big problem he is a bit of a bread lover. I can't imagine he will want to give it up.

Do you have to eliminate potatoes rice and pasta or can you eat them in less amounts then exercise to help insulin levels.

I need to get him on board for changing as he has already said that number isn't too bad. I've gone gluten free but I'm not low carbing as a vegetarian family rice and potatoes pad out meals
You sound a little like you're trying to bargain on your husband's behalf. I've already given you this link before, but here it is again: https://josekalsbeek.blogspot.com/2019/11/the-nutritional-thingy.html

He has options. Cut the carbs, and yes, that does mean bread, spuds, rice, all of it. He can cut back on the carbs a little and have a little medication, try and find an equilibrium, adjusting both as he goes along over the years. Or he can keep eating that stuff, the T2 will be progressive, and he will need ever increasing amounts of medication, eventually in all likelihood insulin, and he'll suffer complications and quite likely, an early death. That's the ugly truth of it. The thing is, his numbers aren't that bad, NOW... I know I came back from worse. But T2 is a progressive condition unless you tackle diet first and foremost. Without that element, he'll get worse. No bargaining about that. How precious is his bread to him? More beloved than his legs, kidneys, eyesight? Life?

That's basically the reality of T2. Change the diet and don't need medication. Change the diet a little and only need a little medication (with slight progression if any), or let medication do all the work and just... Deteriorate.

I'm so sorry. There's no easy way to bring this, it's a harsh thing to have to hear, I know... But it's a reality we all live with here.
Hugs to you both,
Jo

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
A HbA1c of 55 isn't too bad though it is no matter how you look at it a diabetic level, if not brought under control by lowering the amount of carbs eaten it is likely that it will not remain at a not so bad level but will increase eventually to a much worse level and then control will take longer and may be harder to obtain get him too see that if possible and reduce his carb intake if only incrementally at first but really carby food is not good for a T2 diabetic.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If nothing else cutting the carbs he is willing to cut is something. Don’t let seeking perfection hold him back from improvements.

Testing to prove how much certain foods cause an issue might just change his mind.

Reactions: Perminder1

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “

Hi, ideally the carbs need to be cut as much as possible, so the carb padding needs to go. Some people can tolerate more carbs than others, the only way is to know is to test. I can tolerate some carbs within an hour or so after exercise. I really have to earn my sushi rolls lol.

in short, test the meals so you/he can get an idea of current meals, adjust, repeat.