Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Some good news from this T1 of twenty years I thought I’d share

I had a letter in October saying I’d been referred to the ophthalmologist as they’d seen maculopathy in my left eye and pre-proliferative retinopathy in my right after my routine eye scan. To say I was bricking myself for my hospital appointment today is an understatement.

The damage to my eyes they had spotted at my screening in the autumn has healed! My doctor said my eyes are actually in amazing condition even without considering I’ve had type one for twenty years, he said to “keep doing what you’re doing” - also “what _are_ you doing to keep your levels that good?” So I told him, he was quite impressed with the add on MiaoMiao to my Libre and the low carb food changes I’ve been making. And my eyesight is sharper than his

So it looks like it was **** control for two decades catching up with me, followed by the sudden drop in HbA1c level since last year (I went from 89 last winter to 37 now) that caused the problems, and that my good levels since have healed it (in that time the numbness in my toes has almost gone, the suicidal levels of pain I was getting in my jaw thanks to diabetes induced trigeminal neuralgia is no more than the odd twinge, my receding gums are gripping my teeth again, and I feel great for the first time since I was diagnosed in 98) - showing that some complications can be reversed if you maintain normal bg levels.

That's great news Mel, well done :happy: x

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Well done......

I have a smaller success story in that the spotted maculopathy in one of my eyes, monitored every three months for a year, then put me back to once a year...I don't think its gone but its definitely not getting worse....

I can sympathise with the trigeminal neuralgia....the wife has it and its not nice to watch......the worse pain known to man......never thought diabetes could bring it on though...

Reactions: Grant_Vicat

mike@work

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

I had a letter in October saying I’d been referred to the ophthalmologist as they’d seen maculopathy in my left eye and pre-proliferative retinopathy in my right after my routine eye scan. To say I was bricking myself for my hospital appointment today is an understatement.

The damage to my eyes they had spotted at my screening in the autumn has healed! My doctor said my eyes are actually in amazing condition even without considering I’ve had type one for twenty years, he said to “keep doing what you’re doing” - also “what _are_ you doing to keep your levels that good?” So I told him, he was quite impressed with the add on MiaoMiao to my Libre and the low carb food changes I’ve been making. And my eyesight is sharper than his

So it looks like it was **** control for two decades catching up with me, followed by the sudden drop in HbA1c level since last year (I went from 89 last winter to 37 now) that caused the problems, and that my good levels since have healed it (in that time the numbness in my toes has almost gone, the suicidal levels of pain I was getting in my jaw thanks to diabetes induced trigeminal neuralgia is no more than the odd twinge, my receding gums are gripping my teeth again, and I feel great for the first time since I was diagnosed in 98) - showing that some complications can be reversed if you maintain normal bg levels.

Fabulous work done!

8T6oLxyTE.jpg

alphabeta

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Congratulations!!!!! I'm so happy for you!!!!

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Wow what a surprise , so that’s what an HbA1c of 37 does for our bodies wow

enzina

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pain, being dependent, egoistic people & jealousy
Oh, i just saw this thread now @Mel dCP ! That's wonderful news, so happy for you. Well done you.:)

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Back from my holibobs and catching up. Brilliant news for you Mel!
I had a clear eye check just after diagnosis, but background retinopathy the following year, I had dramatically reduced my HbA1c between the scans. Here’s hoping my check up this May will be clear again like yours xx

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
That’s brilliant! Gives us all hope my eye sight has deteriorated so much. Have bifocals and thought I would have to settle for the damage to eyes n joints... it feels like my lower legs have been mummified sometime - but the cramps let me know they are still mine loving that you healing
I’ve got bifocals (mid 40s, pretty standard stuff), think I’ll just have to put up with that. I have had some healing of the numbness in my toes too - there was several months of pain before they went numb a couple of years ago. I hadn’t realised how bad they had got until I got out of the bath, looked down and saw that one of my toes was completely folded under my foot, and I didn’t feel a thing. That was a bit of a lightbulb moment that I had to get my s**t together. The feeling slowly came back via the same sort of pain, and while there is still a little numbness, it’s miles better and still improving.

There is hope for us all ❤️

BibaBee

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So pleased to hear this @Mel dCP . It seems to be a very common trend that poorer control followed by sudden very tight control can lead to an escalation in retinopathy. The good news is that things tend to settle for most people, as you have clearly shown. And for anyone that does need treatment, at least the anti-Vegf injections are there as an option for many and often have miraculous results. Whilst unpleasant, my husband has said he'd have the injections every day to preserve his eyesight. Back in summer he had very severe maculopathy and feared losing his sight completely.

Last edited:

cassie091

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That's great news. I can imagine your relief. I had laser treatment for maculopathy about 6 years ago. saw the ophthalomogist at the hospital 3 weeks ago. He told me that my eyes are in remarkably good condition considering I have been a type 1 diabetic for 60 years. I had two cataract ops in 2001 and can read the bottom line of the chart. If you keep your BGs under control you stand a good chance of retaining your sight.

fantastic9888

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin

Great news.. Just wondering, if you take insulin, did you reduce your intake on low cárb diet...

Zilsniggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I have had a similar experience to you, was actually undergoing macular injection therapy in both eyes up until last July. Since then, and combined with nearly 2 years low carb and a HBA1C of 40, I haven't needed further injections, the pockets of fluid in both eyes have disappeared! I credit it to being very low carb and having good control, rather than the injections.

MichM

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

Hi Mel

I seen your post re Trigeminal Neuralgia and your hba1c improving this

MichM

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Mel

I seen your post re Trigeminal Neuralgia and your hba1c improving this

I am type one and just diagnosed with TN. My hba1c been all over the place past few years. Have you had any recurrence of TN. At a loss now and super stressed with it all

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I am type one and just diagnosed with TN. My hba1c been all over the place past few years. Have you had any recurrence of TN. At a loss now and super stressed with it all
I get the odd twinge, but no more than a 4/10 on the pain scale. Was at 12/10 any time I salivated before. I’ve had non diabetic HbA1c (very steady levels, so no massive spikes or hypos) for around a year now. I’m sure it can heal.

MichM

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thank you so much Mel dCP this is so good to hear. I’m sure you must have gone through that feeling of desperation and why? The pain is immense when it flares. I must admit that mine spikes a lot as you say that you have maintained. Did you have an MRI scan or alike?
I’m so pleased to hear that it is a possibility for me now. Guess I have to work even harder at these sugars

Many many thanks for replying to me x

JAT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
WOW - I just came across this thread now. Congratulations on your achievement Mel. That's utterly and totally fantastic, very very inspiring!