1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Healthy and unhealthy breakfasts.

Discussion in 'Food, Nutrition and Recipes' started by phoenix, Nov 15, 2014.

1. AnnieC

AnnieC · Guest

Vegemite is mostly what they have in Australia they seem to like it better than Marmite I have to agree with you Vegemite is not nice
    I couldn't imagine life without Marmite I have eaten it all my 75 years my children all loved it and they still eat it and so do my grandchildren and they are all grown up now

• Like Like x 4
  2. zand

zand Type 2 · Expert

mmmmmm Marmite on cheese - wonderful! :)

• Like Like x 3
  3. Simon84

Simon84 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

marmite rules! :D

• Like Like x 4
  4. noblehead

noblehead Type 1 · Guru
    Retired Moderator

No it's not nice at all, Marmite is in a different league altogether :)

• Like Like x 2
  5. Pasha

Pasha Prediabetes · Expert

It just depends on what you grew up with, vegemite or marmite.

6. CollieBoy

CollieBoy Type 2 · Well-Known Member

The essence of good control is to negate the disease, not just mask the symptoms. Would you drink poison , then pop a pill to mask it's effects?
    I didn't want to inject myself or pop pills, so I took the lower carb way and now I'm on D&E (T2)

• Like Like x 8
  7. CollieBoy

CollieBoy Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I agree with this:)

8. rowan

rowan Type 2 · Well-Known Member

It was eating things like that that put my levels in the danger zone. There's only so much metformin you can take, same as other meds.
    I really think it's irresponsible to tell people they can eat what they want, some newbies might actually believe you, and there are very few diabetics who can eat whatever they want. And it's even worse than the nhs telling us to eat carbs at every meal.

• Like Like x 9
  9. fallongerie

fallongerie Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Sorry im not too sure about type 2. I wouldn't eat that sort of food anyway. I try to be as health consous as possible. I was presently surprised today I managed to find all bran in a health shop that contain no added sugars. Only only roughly 5 grams of carbs per 20g! Much less than any I've ever seen before

• Like Like x 2
  10. Paul59

Paul59 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I still like my 30g oats with 15-20g asda bran sticks with 1 tsp sweetener & approx 200mil water or best of all Burgen bread toasted one side then peanut butter a sprinkle of chia & topped with cheese then popped back under the grill to melt the cheese. I have that for breaky or lunch.

11. Geoff-O

Geoff-O Type 2 · Well-Known Member

No added sugar nutty oat muesli (with no raisins), a sliced strawberry or two, all mixed-up with natural (i.e. unsweetened) bio yoghurt. It takes ages to eat/chew which makes you feel full. I used to have home-grown stewed fruit (raspberries, gooseberries, blackberries, blackcurrants and apple - no sugar/sweeteners) on the above, But since going on insulin, stewed fruit gives me unbelievable heartburn. Or a quick omelette with tomatoes & cheese in it. Or those cheap frozen kippers. For a Sunday treat - a full English with grilled organic high meat content sausages. For some reason a full English doesn't increase my blood sugars that much, even with a slice of toast. Perhaps there is some truth in the theory that it's the combination of foods that's important? Talking about combinations, scrambled eggs (with tomatoes & cheese) on Marmite toast - as part of the full English?

12. Geoff-O

Geoff-O Type 2 · Well-Known Member

BUT it really all depends on how much exercise you get as part of your daily lifestyle. Even wearing heavy walking boots rather than trainers can lower your blood sugars a wee bit.

13. tonal

tonal Type 2 · Active Member

I used to love kippers too but with fresh bread ând butter what can I eat the with now?

• Like Like x 2
  14. Susikav

Susikav Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Microwave muffin! Melt 1 tbsp coconut oil.... beat an egg into it.... add 2 tbsp milled flax seed.... 1 tbsp of ground almonds (almond flour).... 1/4 tsp baking powder.... salt to taste, and I add the tip of a teaspoon of xanthan gum as it gives your 'bread' lightness and texture, although it is nice without it too... I cook it in the microwave for 2 minutes in a large coffee cup - the type that look like a small soup bowl - and I take it out straight away and stand it on a folded piece of kitchen paper - it tends to be a bit damp on the bottom otherwise... I often add a tbsp of Philly too... you can grate cheese into it and all sorts... I slice and toast it too, it's nicer I think... if you toast it really thin it makes a sort of cracker too... :)

15. Susikav

I eat more fish than not for breakfast... :) I love the pancake idea though... do you have them made with flour, or one of the low-carb recipes?

16. Susikav

That makes so much sense and sounds very like me... except I have liver dumps in the early morning usually...

17. diabeticjedi

diabeticjedi Type 1 · Member

My diabetic nurse seems to think porridge is a good idea.I normally just have cereal like bran flakes or corn flakes with semi skimmed milk ,works for me:)

• Like Like x 2
  18. Susikav

It would all spike me.... :(

19. Brunneria

Brunneria Other · Guru
    Retired Moderator

That is (sadly) the reason why I dismiss any dietary advice given to me by my doc and nurse.

They can give this diet advice out because they haven't got a clue how much it spikes my blood glucose (2 slices of wholemeal sends my blood glucose up from 6.1 to 12.7 in 2 hours and takes 3 more hours to return to normal).

Thank heavens for my trusty blood glucose meter. It has taught me so much.

• Like Like x 4
  20. tim2000s

tim2000s Type 1 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

My current favorite is a corned beef and spinach omelette with chilli coated goats cheese crumbled over it. Lush :)

• Like Like x 4
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook