Healthy and unhealthy breakfasts.

A

AnnieC

Kat, my wife bought some Vegemite last year as a change from Marmite, it was awful and we ended up throwing it out as no one liked it in our family, so we've stuck with Marmite:D
Vegemite is mostly what they have in Australia they seem to like it better than Marmite I have to agree with you Vegemite is not nice
I couldn't imagine life without Marmite I have eaten it all my 75 years my children all loved it and they still eat it and so do my grandchildren and they are all grown up now

Reactions: 4 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Vegemite is mostly what they have in Australia they seem to like it better than Marmite I have to agree with you Vegemite is not nice
I couldn't imagine life without Marmite I have eaten it all my 75 years my children all loved it and they still eat it and so do my grandchildren and they are all grown up now

No it's not nice at all, Marmite is in a different league altogether :)

Reactions: 2 people

Pasha

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
It just depends on what you grew up with, vegemite or marmite.

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
My point is if u want to eat this sort of stuff then u should just increase ur medication!
The essence of good control is to negate the disease, not just mask the symptoms. Would you drink poison , then pop a pill to mask it's effects?
I didn't want to inject myself or pop pills, so I took the lower carb way and now I'm on D&E (T2)

Reactions: 8 people

rowan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My point is if u want to eat this sort of stuff then u should just increase ur medication!

It was eating things like that that put my levels in the danger zone. There's only so much metformin you can take, same as other meds.
I really think it's irresponsible to tell people they can eat what they want, some newbies might actually believe you, and there are very few diabetics who can eat whatever they want. And it's even worse than the nhs telling us to eat carbs at every meal.

Reactions: 9 people

fallongerie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry im not too sure about type 2. I wouldn't eat that sort of food anyway. I try to be as health consous as possible. I was presently surprised today I managed to find all bran in a health shop that contain no added sugars. Only only roughly 5 grams of carbs per 20g! Much less than any I've ever seen before

Paul59

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I still like my 30g oats with 15-20g asda bran sticks with 1 tsp sweetener & approx 200mil water or best of all Burgen bread toasted one side then peanut butter a sprinkle of chia & topped with cheese then popped back under the grill to melt the cheese. I have that for breaky or lunch.

Geoff-O

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
No added sugar nutty oat muesli (with no raisins), a sliced strawberry or two, all mixed-up with natural (i.e. unsweetened) bio yoghurt. It takes ages to eat/chew which makes you feel full. I used to have home-grown stewed fruit (raspberries, gooseberries, blackberries, blackcurrants and apple - no sugar/sweeteners) on the above, But since going on insulin, stewed fruit gives me unbelievable heartburn. Or a quick omelette with tomatoes & cheese in it. Or those cheap frozen kippers. For a Sunday treat - a full English with grilled organic high meat content sausages. For some reason a full English doesn't increase my blood sugars that much, even with a slice of toast. Perhaps there is some truth in the theory that it's the combination of foods that's important? Talking about combinations, scrambled eggs (with tomatoes & cheese) on Marmite toast - as part of the full English?

Geoff-O

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
BUT it really all depends on how much exercise you get as part of your daily lifestyle. Even wearing heavy walking boots rather than trainers can lower your blood sugars a wee bit.

Susikav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes and ulcerative colitis.... :) Rude people... Violence.... and the amount of time I spend away from my beautiful family in the UK...
I used to love kippers too but with fresh bread ând butter what can I eat the with now?
Microwave muffin! Melt 1 tbsp coconut oil.... beat an egg into it.... add 2 tbsp milled flax seed.... 1 tbsp of ground almonds (almond flour).... 1/4 tsp baking powder.... salt to taste, and I add the tip of a teaspoon of xanthan gum as it gives your 'bread' lightness and texture, although it is nice without it too... I cook it in the microwave for 2 minutes in a large coffee cup - the type that look like a small soup bowl - and I take it out straight away and stand it on a folded piece of kitchen paper - it tends to be a bit damp on the bottom otherwise... I often add a tbsp of Philly too... you can grate cheese into it and all sorts... I slice and toast it too, it's nicer I think... if you toast it really thin it makes a sort of cracker too... :)

Susikav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes and ulcerative colitis.... :) Rude people... Violence.... and the amount of time I spend away from my beautiful family in the UK...
My breakfasts, which I think are healthy are:

berries, yoghurt, a little lizzi's granola with some omega mix and almond milk
or a couple of plain pancakes with berries and yoghurt
or bacon, toms, a slice of buttered livlife toast and a handmade pork,cheddar and bacon sausage......
or a pork and marmite one :singing: nom nom

I try to vary my breakfasts and have the pancakes once or twice a week and the cooked brekkie once a week.

Definitely could not do fish ...... Nope :sour:
I eat more fish than not for breakfast... :) I love the pancake idea though... do you have them made with flour, or one of the low-carb recipes?

Susikav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I cheat and buy the plain 6/8" packs of pancakes from Sainsbury's.
They work for me...... Had to try quite a few different brands, all of which sent my BG through the ceiling, up into 12's and 18's.
Two of these with full fat yoghurt to slow down the bs spike are ok now, as long as I exercise after.
I do exercise starting half an hour to 45 minutes after every meal. Without that, I couldn't eat most things without spiking.
I think my 'D' has been around a long time before I was diagnosed.
I think it was masked by my sensible eating and I always fasted by up to 18 hrs anytime I had blood tests.
Never ate after 6pm the night before, sometimes blood tests weren't done until 12 noon the following day. Plus I don't get liver dumps, like most people do.
That makes so much sense and sounds very like me... except I have liver dumps in the early morning usually...

diabeticjedi

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My diabetic nurse seems to think porridge is a good idea.I normally just have cereal like bran flakes or corn flakes with semi skimmed milk ,works for me:)

Susikav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My diabetic nurse seems to think porridge is a good idea.I normally just have cereal like bran flakes or corn flakes with semi skimmed milk ,works for me:)
It would all spike me.... :(

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

That is (sadly) the reason why I dismiss any dietary advice given to me by my doc and nurse.

They can give this diet advice out because they haven't got a clue how much it spikes my blood glucose (2 slices of wholemeal sends my blood glucose up from 6.1 to 12.7 in 2 hours and takes 3 more hours to return to normal).

Thank heavens for my trusty blood glucose meter. It has taught me so much.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
My current favorite is a corned beef and spinach omelette with chilli coated goats cheese crumbled over it. Lush :)