Healthy and unhealthy breakfasts.

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
As we are all different I eat cereal for breakfast. I could not eat anything else first thing in the morning.

Reactions: 2 people

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
As we are all different I eat cereal for breakfast. I could not eat anything else first thing in the morning.
Wow - what does that do to your blood glucose right after? Cereal, even porridge, puts me at 10 to 12 mmol/L.

K

Kat100

@Robinredbreast
re rice, staple in Asian countries and served like this is a traditional breakfast food bit like porridge
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Congee
Years and years ago I had an Asian experience....breakfast was a feast ....the rice cooked with coconut and vegetables was the best I had ever tasted ...
Lovely dhal, a veggies delight if you like spices ...and a wonderful bread made out of chickpea flour ....brings back memories
Breakfast really was lovely ....

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
Wow - what does that do to your blood glucose right after? Cereal, even porridge, puts me at 10 to 12 mmol/L.

They probably are quite high, I never test after. I'm a very fussy eater also and I wouldn't be able to eat what these low carbers eat. I wish I could eat low carb but just can't. Also have a very very sweet tooth!

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
They probably are quite high, I never test after. I'm a very fussy eater also and I wouldn't be able to eat what these low carbers eat. I wish I could eat low carb but just can't. Also have a very very sweet tooth!
I must confess that I had a sweet tooth and was literally physically incapable of resisting eating sugary carby food if it was around.

However, by going low carb I lost the sweet tooth (even 85% chocolate tastes really sweet to me and I had to reduce how much Splenda I put in my coffee) and the carb cravings.

Anyway, to each his or her own.

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
You be better with bran flakes or other bran cereal other than cornflakes, High Glycemic Load cornflakes, where as bran is low.

I realise that Paul but I dont actually like bran type cereals which is why I keep the portion of cornflakes small, im not suggesting it is a great breakfast for anyone its just all I fancy in the mornings and the portion I eat doesnt raise my bg levels too much :)

Paul59

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I realise that Paul but I dont actually like bran type cereals which is why I keep the portion of cornflakes small, im not suggesting it is a great breakfast for anyone its just all I fancy in the mornings and the portion I eat doesnt raise my bg levels too much :)
Does it keep you going till lunch ? being such a small portion.

fallongerie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Lol got to laugh at the last post 'mmm runny yolk'
Quite agree tho! mmm. ....

fallongerie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think have what u want for breakfast with limits. I'm not saying choose frosties but if u like cornflakes have them just increase the insulin... u control ur diabetes it doesn't control u

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think have what u want for breakfast with limits. I'm not saying choose frosties but if u like cornflakes have them just increase the insulin... u control ur diabetes it doesn't control u
That's great for people on insulin, but types 2s often control their diabetes by diet, which means they can avoid drugs and going into insulin for as long as possible (maybe for ever).

Reactions: 4 people

Phlogiston

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, ofsted inspectors, uninvited phonecalls
I have tried a number of breakfasts since diagnosis.
Over the last few years, Kippers have been a great treat. Kedgeree was also a treat but takes more preparation and contains rice. Once I have a meter, I shall explore the impact of a "low rice" kedgeree.
Baked beans are probably too sugary,
Scrambled eggs are good, especially if I've engineered some left over fish.
Tinned herring with tinned tomato is another "individual" breakfast I suspect will be shared by few.
I used to love a squirt of ketchup on the kipper - that's a pleasure of the past.

Best wishes
Adam

fallongerie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My nans diabetic and she eats what she wants
Every morning she has three slices of hovis Doorstep bread with butter and non diabetic jam much to my jealousy
(The thickest white bread u can buy!).plus she has to always have her 2 borbon biscuits when ever she has a coffee. Her sugars are prefect. If they went high over a number of weeks the doctor would increase her metforin

equipoise

My nans diabetic and she eats what she wants
Every morning she has three slices of hovis Doorstep bread with butter and non diabetic jam much to my jealousy
(The thickest white bread u can buy!).plus she has to always have her 2 borbon biscuits when ever she has a coffee. Her sugars are prefect. If they went high over a number of weeks the doctor would increase her metforin
And your point is?

fallongerie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My point is if u want to eat this sort of stuff then u should just increase ur medication!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My point is if u want to eat this sort of stuff then u should just increase ur medication!
That is a choice you and your nan are free to make, but it is definitely not a choice that I (and many type 2s who post here) are willing to make.

Besides, metformin does not iron out blood glucose spikes, it just lowers overall levels by a couple of mmol/l.

Reactions: 6 people