Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
With the temperatures pushing the mid 30's just wanted to warn all insulin users to take extra care with managing their blood glucose levels, personally I am adjusting each day but am averaging about 2 hypos a day at the moment, so taking extra glucose everywhere and testing more frequently is essential, take care out there folks :)

db89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for heads up @Juicyj - sorry to hear you're experiencing a few hypos from it.

I'm going to start checking 2h after every meal for a while in this weather to make sure my ratios aren't too aggressive again like I had on holiday last month for a bit.

Reactions: Juicyj

benfolger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I have experienced the same over the passed few days, hypo'd twice in the day yesterday and in the early hours of this morning. That was after reducing my Nova Rapid and Levimir!

Makes me think, what is there that doesn't affect our diabetes!!

Reactions: himtoo and Sibyl

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
It's just another thing to be mindful of :banghead: but particularly those who exercise should take extra care too, i'm having them at pretty inconvenient moments..

Reactions: paulpapa

kimlala

It's just another thing to be mindful of :banghead: but particularly those who exercise should take extra care too, i'm having them at pretty inconvenient moments..
Thanks for the info. Our temps are in the 100's, yesterday we were 106. I could fry an egg on the sidewalk, and this being my first summer with diabetes.

Reactions: Sibyl and himtoo

Lynz84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Ive just started jogging and you are so right! Ive been testing bloods regularly but its such a pain!

Pets4Life

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Macaroni Cheese, Plain Onions
I was just gonna put the same post on lol mine is all over the place too right now staying around the 3.2 mark :depressed::wideyed: be careful around the heat cause i know i will be :cat:

Reactions: himtoo

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
This is why I love the closed loop. It has done a good job of managing, even when I've not been paying attention and bolused too much due to additional insulin sensitivity!

Reactions: db89 and Sibyl

pinewood

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good advice @Juicyj :cool: Hot weather can play havoc with BS. I've had lows but this morning woke up to a high :rolleyes: I'm sure the extreme heat caused that too.
Me too. I have no idea what happened this morning; took my usual 2.5 units and had my usual breakfast. Get to work and see a nasty 12.5mmol on the screen! Rage bloused 2 units and hypo'd before lunch :(

Dairygrade

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Having diabetes
Yes this hot weather does certainly makes a difference as I put on yesterday had three during afternoon and one during late evening good job I know when there going to happen still feeling rough today but sugars not to bad so please take care while hot weather continues stay safe.

Reactions: ickihun and Juicyj

ljmercer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Heat does play havoc with BS! I'm one of the lucky, or unfortunate ones, where it takes this extreme heat for my sugars to be in range due to extremely high insulin resistance from having diabetes through puberty and my teenage years (I'm 18 now).

Ah well. Enjoy our British summer guys!

asortafairytale

DWED Support
Staff Member
I always have my blood sugars soar higher in the heat instead of dropping low. I have never been able to find out a reason as to why this is as most people seem to experience more hypos (though know there are others like me too)? I hate how unpredictable diabetes can be from day to day argh!

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hypo rollercoaster for me at the moment, too - interestingly I don't remember being quite this affected (diabetically, I mean) by the heat like this before!

In the process of setting up a new 'heatwave' basal profile for my pump.......

:)

Reactions: Juicyj

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Good idea @Snapsy am also doing the same today, had another hypo mid morning after bolus had worn off so basal needs reviewing.. it's times like this that I actually enjoy shopping in the freezer section at our local supermarket !

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It's seems even hotter today! I'd also add that I'm doing more tests than usual because the extreme heat makes it harder to spot both highs and lows.

I've stopped three times today because I thought I felt low - only to be in the 5s or 6s.

Reactions: Snapsy

EllsKBells

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's strange, because in previous years I have always been much more insulin sensitive in the hot weather, and had lots of hypos, but this year the opposite is true, struggling to keep it down. The only difference is between this summer and last, I have changed from Novorapid and Levemir to Humalog and Tresiba. I do wonder if that could have anything to do with it, since there are chemical differences between the different types of insulin. Just my two penn'orth

Reactions: db89 and Juicyj
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Last night I was 5.3 before bed, so I took 1 unit less of Insulin( 9) woke up on a 7.9. that's okay. Had yogurt for breakfast and 1 unit of Insulin, at 10.30 BS was 4.1 and on my way out walking, so I had 1/2 glucose tablet. Before lunch it was 5.3, so taken a little less Insulin again. I have had, like @Juicyj, a few hypo's:wideyed:

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I always have my blood sugars soar higher in the heat instead of dropping low. I have never been able to find out a reason as to why this is as most people seem to experience more hypos (though know there are others like me too)? I hate how unpredictable diabetes can be from day to day argh!
I'm having highs and lows with very little inbetween. I haven't tried to adjust my insulin as I feel I could make matters worse. If highs continued I would adjust but so far today being a cooler day they are behaving themselves. I may end up with a tad more insulin resistance due to body wanting to natural protect me from a hypo. Thanks liver but i want to manage without your dump! :confused: