Hello Again!

JoBodensee

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was here on the forum for a while after a type 1 diagnosis in May this year. Then I changed phones and now I'm finally back on again. I have to say, I really missed it even if no-one knew I was gone!

My sugars have gone from being super reliable to kind of lame. On Lantus at night now and still bolussing (double 's'??) with Fiasp. I'm staying under 20-40gm/carbs almost 100% of the time but never quite get into ketosis. Maybe now that it's summer and the end-of-school-year rush is over I can manage that better.

Anyway, nice to be back!

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was here on the forum for a while after a type 1 diagnosis in May this year. Then I changed phones and now I'm finally back on again. I have to say, I really missed it even if no-one knew I was gone!

My sugars have gone from being super reliable to kind of lame. On Lantus at night now and still bolussing (double 's'??) with Fiasp. I'm staying under 20-40gm/carbs almost 100% of the time but never quite get into ketosis. Maybe now that it's summer and the end-of-school-year rush is over I can manage that better.

Anyway, nice to be back!

might be your eaten proteins that are at a too high level for ketosis ??? how many grams of protein do you eat daily... more than 0.8 grams of protein pro kg lean bodyweight ???

JoBodensee

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
might be your eaten proteins that are at a too high level for ketosis ??? how many grams of protein do you eat daily... more than 0.8 grams of protein pro kg lean bodyweight ???
I've considered that, but I've been pretty careful if I eat protein to keep it in pretty small amounts. I think I've just been generally out of whack in this last while. This will be my first summer as a diabetic with kids full-time at home!

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Anyway, nice to be back!
Jo I remember you very well, lovely to find you here again. So sorry your sugars are proving a bit disappointing. I find that sort of thing really gets under my skin. I know I should not let myself get elated by one high reading and then cast right down by a bad one, but I do. How are you feeling in yourself?

JoBodensee

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you!

And the phone is good! It took a while, but I think I like it better. The old one was a BlackBerry Passport and although it had already been 'jailbroken' I had been having trouble installing android apps for a while. So, now a BlackBerry Keyone (android) so that I can use the MiaoMiao specifically, plus a few other practical apps. I'm spoiled and like the proper keyboard!

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi @JoBodensee, You have an overwhelming set of tasks, like a juggling performer.
I wonder if you keep putting others ahead of you.

Of course your children are a priority. and you are their super-heroine) But your diabetes needs to be another one, particularly when it comes to work.
You have a new whizz-bang new phone, so perhaps set some subtle alarms on it to measure your bsls or read them off at work.
That information can help when you discuss things with your DSN.
No need to feel pressured or guilty about doing this at work. Or of rushing through work.
Think about smokers. They may need a smoke break during work and this is usually tolerated ?
If so, you have even more right than them to take time out to check bsls, plus not work through lunch etc.
Stress is the enemy, so try at least several times a day (phone reminder!) even perhaps at BSL reading times to concentrate on your breathing. We breathe shallowly and more often when stressed and we struggle with making decisions etc in that state.
Consider taking some slow breaths, not too deep or rapid, to allow stress to ease. Breathe slowly.
Also do you have a counselling service related to your workplace ? You might be able to legitimately have time to receive such counselling and possibly free of charge. Breath slowly !!
Being able to delegate some duties to one's partner, receive and accept help from friends, parents etc(and not being too proud to do so). The Sunday cook up to provide frozen meals during the week (thank heaven for the microwave) and finding quality time for the little'uns AND for yourself is all part of it. My brazen, self-centred recommendation is: my-best-kite.com for kids and you. Breathe.
Know that you are doing a great job with so many challenges !
We are all cheering you on so please keep posting, asking questions, sharing feelings.

Reactions: JoBodensee

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My sugars have gone from being super reliable to kind of lame.
I remember you were query LADA, but your healthcare system didn't interest itself in that possibility. It makes me wonder if the problem is that your own production of insulin is diminishing and/or becoming irregular, so throwing out your basal and bolus strategies, which previously were working fine? Might it be worth asking your healthcare team about repeat testing for your insulin production levels, to see if they have changed? Just a thought. I am by no means expert on insulin. IMO it would be a pity for you to be blaming your diet / lifestyle for something that might be beyond your control. That's a lesson I learned decades ago, when I was suffering from undiagnosed hepatitis and kept telling myself to buck up and do more, when actually I was quite ill. It was only when I turned yellow that anyone (my GP included) realised what was going on!

Reactions: JoBodensee