hello folks help and advice needed

elmer_dinkley

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi folks. I was diagnosed in January last year. Basically I was going to the toilet every 3 hours, never had anything like it before and went to the doctors. I had very high readings and was quickly sent away for blood tests. I was immediately put on 500mg of metaformin twice a day. 2 weeks later after blood results (not fasting) the doctor told me to double the dose. I did this at 6pm with a meal by 8pm I was struck with the most chronic diarrhoea I have ever experienced. I dropped it back down straight away. My last doctors appointment consisted of him telling me by blood test showed levels had halved and carry on. no weight or foot check done.
Anyway on the low dose I am still having upset stomach. bloating and stomach cramps. My wee is really low as is my water intake.
I decided to cut back to just one tablet a day. Now coming up for the first week doing this and my stomach feels so much better. It had become a bit of a problem I dare not go to the gym as I felt there could be an accident it felt so under pressure. The advice I need is with my testing. I have been taking readings just before tea when I would have taken a tablet last nights was 6.4. the highest I have had was 10.2 but averaging around 6.6. when should I test and what sort of readings should I be getting.
I have been given no information on dealing with the condition just sent away with a packet of pills. I am trying to cut carbs and sugar intake,

Reactions: Guzzler

pleinster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
ignorance
Hi folks. I was diagnosed in January last year. Basically I was going to the toilet every 3 hours, never had anything like it before and went to the doctors. I had very high readings and was quickly sent away for blood tests. I was immediately put on 500mg of metaformin twice a day. 2 weeks later after blood results (not fasting) the doctor told me to double the dose. I did this at 6pm with a meal by 8pm I was struck with the most chronic diarrhoea I have ever experienced. I dropped it back down straight away. My last doctors appointment consisted of him telling me by blood test showed levels had halved and carry on. no weight or foot check done.
Anyway on the low dose I am still having upset stomach. bloating and stomach cramps. My wee is really low as is my water intake.
I decided to cut back to just one tablet a day. Now coming up for the first week doing this and my stomach feels so much better. It had become a bit of a problem I dare not go to the gym as I felt there could be an accident it felt so under pressure. The advice I need is with my testing. I have been taking readings just before tea when I would have taken a tablet last nights was 6.4. the highest I have had was 10.2 but averaging around 6.6. when should I test and what sort of readings should I be getting.
I have been given no information on dealing with the condition just sent away with a packet of pills. I am trying to cut carbs and sugar intake,

Hi. The metformin diarrhoea is, I gather, not uncommon and lots of people have stomach problems with it. While it is a good drug in other ways, it is not really very effective in bringing blood sugar levels down that much. I have never been on it but I have seen a lot of stuff about it on this site. I was on a stronger drug myself until I decided to try a low carb diet alone as my approach. I would very strongly suggest that you look into LCHF diets (ie. low carb high fat). It was only through cutting carbs right down (particularly by avoiding bread, potatoes, cereal, pasta and rice) that my levels dropped into the normal range. Like many Type 2s here, my levels have been under control through attention to diet alone.

If you test before and two to two and half hours after eating you will soon see what impact your meal is having on your blood sugar. If there is more than a 2mmol difference between the readings, you are probably eating too many carbs. I did test quite a few times a day initially and noted down readings and times as well as the food I was eating and soon learned a great deal. You may also wish to test before bed just to make sure it's not too low. These days (two years later) I seldom test more than two or three times a day.

I have tagged the wonderful @daisy1 who will be along with some very good info to take on board. Good luck.

Reactions: ziggy_w

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @elmer_dinkley ,

Welcome to the forum.

It's great your going for monitoring your blood levels!
I agree with @pleinster on the testing times.
Keep an honest log of what you eat carb wise, you maybe surprised the effects of what certain carb types can do regarding BS levels...

Good luck!

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Hello and welcome. You could ask your GP to prescribe a slow release Metformin that is slightly better than the normal one for the loo issues. As you are new to the condition I would suggest that you test before the first bite of food then one and a half hours after your first bite then an hour later. This will tell you how your body is reacting to the foods you eat. Keep a detailed diary which will show you which foods are better than others for you. After a while, as you gain better control of your blood glucose you will not have to test so much. There's a lot to take in at the beginning but it will become easier as time passes.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Keep your fluid levels up. As your blood glucose falls the frequency of urination will fall.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

if you count your number of grams of carbs in a day and stay under 150 grams of carbs , you would probably get a much better control and get numbers back into normal levels, if not then go even lower.
the most easy way is to eat a breakfast totally without carbs like : bacon and eggs, omelet with mushrooms, half an avocado , cheese and ham, you can eat it along with lots of cucumber and tomatoes as they are really low in carbs ...but no bread..
Lidl has a proetien roll that is a very fine substitue for bread ... it is very low in ..carbs . I love its taste , it is also good with meat on top

foods without hardly any carbs are the best choise and veg grown over ground

if you miss sweets very much then eat some berries with cream , berries are much lower in sugar than fruits

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Its scary stuff isn't it ? If you find th time to have a read on here, especially the success stories, you will see that lots of us have found ways to deal with this through diet alone or reduced medications. Many doctors don't consider diet at all in their advice and it sounds like you are one of them . You are in good hands here:) so welcome to the forum.

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@elmer_dinkley

Hello Elmer and welcome to the Forum :) Here is the Basic Information we give to new members and I hope it will be useful to you. Ask as many questions as you need to and someone will be able to help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEW MEMBERS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you'll find well over 250,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.

There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:
  • Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates
Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes.

Over 145,000 people have taken part in the Low Carb Program - a free 10 week structured education course that is helping people lose weight and reduce medication dependency by explaining the science behind carbs, insulin and GI.

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to blood glucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic.

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

Take part in Diabetes.co.uk digital education programs and improve your understanding. They're all free.
  • Low Carb Program - it's made front-page news of the New Scientist and The Times. Developed with 20,000 people with type 2 diabetes; 96% of people who take part recommend it... find out why
  • Hypo Program - improve your understanding of hypos. There's a version for people with diabetes, parents/guardians of children with type 1, children with type 1 diabetes, teachers and HCPs.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Hi and welcome,

It sounds to me as though you don't know what your "very high" numbers were, nor what they were on your last test when "they had halved". If this is the case, you really need to know so you can understand everything better. You can ask for print outs of these results (and if you are in England you can ask if your surgery puts test results on line, and how to register for this)

Testing yourself once a day is meaningless when you are learning. As others have said above, you need to:

Test before first bite
Test again about 2 hours after first bite
Record these numbers alongside the food you ate
Look at the rise from before to after and try to keep this under 2mmol/l (preferably a lot less)
If the rise is too high, there were too many carbs in that meal which you need to reduce or eliminate
Make sure your food diary has all the ingredients of the meal and portion sizes.

This is called eating to your meter.

Metformin is a mild drug and only helps to a limited extent. Diet is the key, and carbs are the cause of the blood sugar rises.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
I was immediately put on 500mg of metaformin twice a day. 2 weeks later after blood results (not fasting) the doctor told me to double the dose. I did this at 6pm with a meal by 8pm I was struck with the most chronic diarrhoea I have ever experienced. I dropped it back down straight away.<snip>
I decided to cut back to just one tablet a day. Now coming up for the first week doing this and my stomach feels so much better. It had become a bit of a problem I dare not go to the gym as I felt there could be an accident it felt so under pressure.,

I picked up that you seem to be taking the Metformin 2 hours before your meal.

As far as I know you should take the Metformin with your meal.

It is far more important to take the tablets with food to minimise the impact on your bowels than to take them at a set time.

Taking Metformin on an empty stomach can be dangerous (in an oops! sense) for seasoned users so it is really not a good idea when you are trying to get used to it. Normally recommended to start with one tablet then slowly increase the dose once your body gets used to it.

I woner if your improved BG is at least partly due to your food passing through far more quickly than it used to!:woot:

I als found that I was more sensitive to Metformin when eating a carbohydrate meal. Could be coincidence, of course.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I can't hold out hope of eating any particular way to control the consequences of Metformin - I got the effects on just one tablet and was unable to go out of the house, which rather negated any thought of exercise.
The good news is that by eating low carb foods there is little need for medication - your doctor might advise otherwise, but it depends on how you define 'need'. I have normal blood test results on a low carb diet.