Hello... from a definite newbie

mouseee

I posted on here over the weekend when waiting to speak to a Dr on the Monday and I'd like to thank those who replied for their help! I used the email system to email the Drs on Monday morning, had bloods at 9.15 yesterday and the Dr rang this lunch time to tell me that I had a prescription waiting for Metformin as I'm definitely T2. Still waiting for the h....1 ( I'll get used to the jargon!) but yesterday's bg was 12 so it will just give us a bit more information.

I will have loads of questions going forward but today there are two!
How is the best way to stage start the Metformin? I'll be going to 2 tablets morning and night eventually.

And, what are the best things to have in the cupboard that you wouldn't be without? I am going to be trying to keep the carbs right down but not quite LCHF. I generally cook from scratch but meals usually revolve around pasta, rice or potatoes!

Thanks!

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Welcome to the club, no one wants to belong to! Actually I look on my diagnosis as a blessing in disguise but that’s another story!
Metformin is usually started gradually, I started on one in the morning for a week, then one morning and one with my evening meal for the next week. I then added in a third but looks like two is your full dose. It needs to be taken with food as that reduces the risk of stomach upset. I had an upset stomach for the first week to ten days. If you have gastric problems that don’t resolve, it’s worth asking to try the slow release version.
My go tos (in the fridge) are eggs, bacon, mushrooms, cream, cheese, salad stuff, dark chocolate and berries.
In the cupboard pork scratchings, nuts and sugar free jellies.
Cooking from scratch is good, if you haven’t seen it already, this website is a good place to start, loads of advise and low carb recipes:
https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb

copilost

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I generally cook from scratch but meals usually revolve around pasta, rice or potatoes!
It's good you can cook, that puts you at an advantage:) I've based my cooking around "healthy carbs" for years so I can understand your dilemma. I think it's helpful that it's summer (for me anyway) as that gives me more options that aren't too far from some usual things I prepare. I started (two weeks ago) by changing my weekly shop and excluding all carbs but including lots of things I like. I looked up some of the recipes online which are sometimes helpful and sometimes not ;) A good piece of advice I've seen is not to try to substitute for carbs but to plan a meal from what's in your fridge/pantry. Take stuff out, put it on the counter and just see what comes to you. I was stuck for lunch, I had some tinned fish which I would normally have had with pasta/rice/bread or salad....but I had none of these. I did have one courgette. So I grated the courgette and fried it in butter and put the fish in to warm when the courgette was done. It was really nice :) I could have added cheese but didn't!
I've tried making cauliflower cheese without flour, which was not quite so successful, but there's a thread in the forum where some nice people helped me out. I made a quiche (with cream yay) and an almond pastry case (which needs some work). I've tried roasted chicken wings on roasted veg, low carb sausages and eggs with mushrooms and spinach, omelettes (with cheese hurrah). Roast pork belly, with green veg and crackling. Pork belly is going into a stir fry tonight. Salmon steamed with a butter and lemon sauce and steamed veg (really easy)......
I want to try making nachos with this fat head dough thing which you can find easily on the web. Then I can pile on the cheese and guacamole and sour cream ...... really looking forward to that (if it works!)
Good luck, it's sort of fun....

Reactions: jjraak

copilost

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
oh and moussaka with more aubergine and no potato.
I'm struggling with getting the complimentary texture that carbs bring and aubergines are quite good oil absorbers (understatement)

mouseee

Thanks guys! I just had salmon with sugar snap peas which was yummy and full fat yogurt with berries and a handful of granola.
I have bought a glucose meter to test before and after evening meal only to help to identify what gives me a spike so I can hopefully choose food wisely.
I'm actually looking forward to getting started and I teach so I have more time in the next few weeks.

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks guys! I just had salmon with sugar snap peas which was yummy and full fat yogurt with berries and a handful of granola.
I have bought a glucose meter to test before and after evening meal only to help to identify what gives me a spike so I can hopefully choose food wisely.
I'm actually looking forward to getting started and I teach so I have more time in the next few weeks.

Just seen tour post re Hba1c if 110. You may need to be stricter and drop the granola. I know I couldn’t eat it. But then I couldn’t eat the yogurt and berries either. Stay strong. You will find your way and what works for you. Avoid sacks, drink lots of water, walk after meals, don’t eat late, don’t eat too much protein, etc etc. Everyone is different

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @mouseee

"How is the best way to stage start the Metformin? I'll be going to 2 tablets morning and night eventually.

And, what are the best things to have in the cupboard that you wouldn't be without? I am going to be trying to keep the carbs right down but not quite LCHF."

as rachel says start slow..i did, one am one pm for two weeks, then moved up to the 2 in am - 2 in pm.
i should eat with meal, but rarely do, i've been lucky and had no/little ill effects.
but others have suffered.

great ideas by the above..the one i always point to is avocado.
they come ripe (eat today tomorrow ) OR to ripen and eat in a few days time.

Most useful for the fats, but goes well i think with scrambled egg.make an easy breakfast.
and BILTONG..never would have bothered with it pre Diagnosis, but now it's a staple in the fridge,
alongside any deli meat. ( chorizo sausage current favourite.)
Both help as a snack to stop me eating things that are not so good.
both keep in fridge for ages.

You sound like you've nailed it with the menu of salmon etc..great choice
but i'd amend the full fat for greek yoghurt or fage
and like @Flora123 , wisely says, at that score i'd want to be getting much lower, so the granola does you no favours, sadly.

the phrase i remember the best was REAL FOOD, ( so being able to cook your ahead of me.)

so if it still looks like REAL FOOD when you buy it, OR the ingredient list is small.it's probably ok,

BUT i do still measure EVERYTHING i buy by 3 rules.

Under 5g per 100g..i put in basket
5-10g..i umm and ahh, and think IS it worth it for the taste etc.
(bear in mind many thing you won't eat in large amounts, (tomato sauce, mustard, etc),, judge yourself how much you'll use )
and
things over 10g have to be pretty spectacular and even then i probably put it back on the shelf and quickly move on to the next items.

Good luck working out your way forward, but from what i can see already....you got this.

Last edited: