Hello from returning member whose had a serious loss of control over 2015

Dougie22

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Hello Folks. I am a Vegetarian and have been since I was young, but over the years I have 'sampled' meat - so I am not totally 100% Vegetarian now. Trying to have a 'balanced' diet can be hard - because I suffer with Aneamia and am treated with Iron tablets 1 a day at the moment(sometimes 2 a day)but the Aneamia is caused by taking another drug for another condition that I have. I also find that some other medications have an effect on my Diabetes too - raise my blood sugars. I believe that being on Steroids for many years played a part in my Diabetes as well as it being Genetic. My family history of Diabetes is: both Grandmothers had Type 2 (20yrs), my Mother had Type 2 on tablets (20yrs), my younger brother Type 2 on Insulin/Tablets at 31yrs (he's now 49) got a female cousin who is 55 and she is on Insulin and then there is me, also Type 2 (15 yrs) on Insulin/tablets. With me for 10 years I kept my Diabetes under control and then 5 years ago I went through a traumatic event and I went off the rails and just neglected my Diabetes. It's taken the past 5 years to get back on track - and it has been hard to do, I have managed to get my weight down, my BMI down and my HBA1C down thanks to Insulin, more Metformin and Dapagliflozin. But I have to admit that some days I think "B**LS" to it - I am going to have a bag of crisp, and I am going to have a piece of cake, and a bar of Chocolate = because it makes me FEEL GOOD. I attend the Hospital Diabetic Clinic every 6 months now and the Consultant I see is Diabetic herself, she is pleased with my progress and says we all have 'SLIP UPS' but, just to make sure there is not too many. At the end of every month we go out for a meal as a treat.

Slip ups and "lapses" are inevitable for me. My task is to stop one or two day lapses turning into months of poor eating. I'm in the zone at the minute but I need to find ways to stay there. I'm just about the opposite of vegetarian, more of a carnivore. This means I just can't fill my plate with greens, etc as I hate them. I've managed to find a few veggies I can eat but I prefer pulses and root vegetable to brassicas and the like. One solution for me is my wife's home made soup. I can eat almost any vegetable once it's been turned into soup.

Reactions: 6 people

Dougie22

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
It was to reduce the vomiting and tummy upsets. When you live in the country it is difficult to get around and very few GPs. They very rarely do house calls. I once had a home visit, run thro a collective, who told me to make an appointment to see my own GP. By the time I saw someone at the practice I was sent to hospital and put on antibiotic drip for 5 days. as for New Years Eve I ate mainly cheese. Veggies are not always catered for as I do not eat fish or chicken. Its funny but while in hospital the staff thought I would like ham salad or fishcakes.

I'm on 4*500mg Metformin and tolerate it reasonably well but it does give me a bit of tummy ache and affects the toilet. I recently visited my son a few hundred miles away for four days and, for the first time, forgot to take my medication with me. Shock horror! But actually I felt really good for a couple of days and my tummy returned to a healthy normal for that time. I'm back on them now, of course, but it showed me what they were doing to me.
As on one of my other replies, I'm afraid I'm a carnivore. It would think it would be so much easier to eat sensibly and lose weight if I was a vegetarian!

Reactions: 2 people

Dougie22

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
You seem to have a good grip on all this, I can't find anyone to take me seriously, I know I am breaking down

Brenda. I know how hard it can be. I walked 5 miles the other day (and was pretty sore at the end of it) but six months ago I could hardly walk to the pillar box at the top of our street (about 500 yards, if that). The trick is to start with a few small changes. £Eat a little better for a couple of days, walk to the end of the street and back. Then just try to build it slowly. You'll be surprised how far that approach can take you. Chin up!

Dougie22

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
All too easily done. You just have to redouble your efforts and get back into the frame of mind which gave you your initial success. You know it works. But I agree, giving up on old habits can be as difficult as giving up on smoking, as far as that little voice in your head is concerned.

I am prone to these lapses too but I developed a real interest in cooking and mostly find that the act of planning and preparing a meal, stops me opening up the biscuit tin. I also find experimenting by making things like haverbread or blinis and testing the results, both for taste and impact on blood sugar, keeps the devil away so to speak, even if the experiement turns out to be a bit of a dud. It's all about thinking about other stuff, stuff which is healthy and tasty and developing new tastes.

Luckily, I've never smoked (although both my parents were 40 a day addicts so I got a lot of secondary smoke when I was young), but there is a big difference in my view. People can give up smoking completely (I know it's hard but some manage). You can't give up eating completely. It's the equivalent of cutting down to three cigarettes a day or similar. The temptation is always there.

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Reminds me of my childhood stuck in a car with everyone smoking and i used to be stuck in the middle, yay childhood memories. I think the thing that makes diabetes so hard to deal with is the fact that food affects us all so differently so its not a one size fits all. I have read so many good suggestions in this thread, Ive even picked a few good ideas. I know for myself anyway it seems like an ever revolving door, sometimes I cruise around with no worries and other times im speeding out of control.

Reactions: 6 people

Dougie22

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Reminds me of my childhood stuck in a car with everyone smoking and i used to be stuck in the middle, yay childhood memories. I think the thing that makes diabetes so hard to deal with is the fact that food affects us all so differently so its not a one size fits all. I have read so many good suggestions in this thread, Ive even picked a few good ideas. I know for myself anyway it seems like an ever revolving door, sometimes I cruise around with no worries and other times im speeding out of control.

I can well remember sitting in the living room with the smoke so dense you felt you could cut a cube out of it. So far I've not had any problems but if there's any truth to this secondary smoke theory......

Dougie22

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
So Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday in the first week of my tighter regime were great. Yesterday, Thursday, wasn't so good with a day of picking at biscuits and sweets. Not maybe "red" in my scheme of things but definitely "amber". After a bit of thought, I think I can see what the factors were:
1. Stuck in the house all day on my own waiting for a delivery and nothing much to do.
2. Didn't have enough to eat on Wednesday, so pre-programmed to eat more on Thursday.
3. No exercise of any kind.
4. After 3 o'clock, setting up new computer. Lots of waiting for files to copy and format. More coffee and biscuits!

So back on the wagon today. Hopefully walk or gym in the afternoon.

Dougie22

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Really bad day to day. Gorged on rubbish all evening. Probably over 3000 calories. Rubbish. And Indian meal tomorrow night! Sunday is going to have to be austere ready for a new start on Monday. First attendance at the NHS weight clinic on Monday! It was all going so well.....

Reactions: 3 people

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
Went out today for lunch had a whole pizza with the toppings of saturated fats, followed by a latte. Then had a friend come round to visit and we sat and ate Mince Pies and had lattes (sachets) - then later on when my partner went to bed early, got out a 300g bag of Vanilla fudge and scoffed the lot! I don't care because my partner and I had a row earlier in the day, so it's their fault for upsetting me. (got to put the blame on someone for my binge) Anyhow, I enjoyed going off the rails and we should once in a while.

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Went out today for lunch had a whole pizza with the toppings of saturated fats, followed by a latte. Then had a friend come round to visit and we sat and ate Mince Pies and had lattes (sachets) - then later on when my partner went to bed early, got out a 300g bag of Vanilla fudge and scoffed the lot! I don't care because my partner and I had a row earlier in the day, so it's their fault for upsetting me. (got to put the blame on someone for my binge) Anyhow, I enjoyed going off the rails and we should once in a while.

This was on Friday. (As its now Saturday).

brenda walker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Really bad day to day. Gorged on rubbish all evening. Probably over 3000 calories. Rubbish. And Indian meal tomorrow night! Sunday is going to have to be austere ready for a new start on Monday. First attendance at the NHS weight clinic on Monday! It was all going so well.....
I wouldn't like to be you on Sunday morning

Reactions: 4 people

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi. Drinking LOTS of water in the hope of 'diluting' the sugar in my blood from eating all that fudge. But, I bet I will have a high blood sugar reading in the morning. And I have the 'Sweats' too, I find this happens whenever I eat sugary foods within 15 to 20 I have a sugar rush and just sweat for hours.

brenda walker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If everyone knows I am diabetic and out of control why do they buy me so much chocolate for Christmas, are they trying to kill me? I have a big box of thorntons in front of me right now left by someone that just gone to bed. Incidentally a member of my family worked for Stoerk marketing and had unlimited supply of free chocs and sweets like bendicks and wetheralls.

brenda walker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi. Drinking LOTS of water in the hope of 'diluting' the sugar in my blood from eating all that fudge. But, I bet I will have a high blood sugar reading in the morning. And I have the 'Sweats' too, I find this happens whenever I eat sugary foods within 15 to 20 I have a sugar rush and just sweat for hours.
you should try the menapause - it's always hot and cold flushes for years, not to menstion the rest

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Right - I'm on my way round to your house, shall we 'pig out' together? Won't feel as guilty then with someone else doing it...... Time I went to my bed, have enjoyed our banter. Good Night. William.

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I had a bad day yesterday eating all day but on the bright side I managed to only eat loads of chicken and my LC baking so for.me that is a bit of a.milestone as I usually go for biscuits ect. @Dougie22 I know what you mean about being stuck around home, I usually get unstuck in the weekends when Im around home more. Dont despair about going off track it happens and unfortunately usually more often than we would like but just get yourself on track when you can.

Trevor 142

Type of diabetes
Type 2
My bg levels have gone crazy as I the stress of Xmas have affected my mood and depression. I know I need to get my head sorted before I can get my diabetes back under control. !!!

Reactions: 5 people

Dougie22

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I don't care because my partner and I had a row earlier in the day, so it's their fault for upsetting me.

Been there. Got that T shirt! I definitely turn to eating rubbish when we fall out or she abandons me. You'd think I was 4 years old.

Dougie22

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other

I'm sure my readings are very high when I've had a bad binge. So sure, in fact, that I never take any. Talk about burying your head in the sand!