Hello From The Diabetic 'Doctor'

Status
Not open for further replies.

fergus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Re: Hello From The Diabetic Doctor

You're a bit wide of the mark on the ATP issue Dr. H

Many types of food can be used to manufacture ATP, which rather gives the lie to the concept that we rely only on carbohydrates to provide energy. In fact, a single glucose molecule is capable of generating 36 molecules of ATP, or six ATP molecules for each of the six carbon atoms in the glucose molecule. Thank you for persevering with the sciency bit because this is where it actually starts to get interesting. A molecule of fatty acid also has six atoms of carbon in its structure, but is capable of generating 48 ATP molecules, or 8 atoms of ATP per carbon atom. Just as we are constantly reminded that fat contains more calories than carbohydrate, we should also be aware that it’s energy creating potential is that much greater too.

Say Hi to Gillian McKeith when you see her!

fergus

timo2

Dislikes
Glycemic excursions

The good doctor has been given 24 hours in which to cool it down.

Doczoc

timo2 said:
The good doctor has been given 24 hours in which to cool it down.

Think all those carbs were increasing his blood pressure LOL

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.

Actually it's 7 days.....we need to let him have some time for re-training I think. :lol:

graham64

Dislikes
Ironing, cooking, shopping. Pessimists, people with sense of humour bypass. Speed cameras Traffic wardens, Nanny state and Hypocrites

In response to the last remark of Dr H concerning me.

I should think the opposite is true the establishment recommends eat loads of starchy carbs and take the meds.

timo2

Dislikes
Glycemic excursions

7 days! Man, you guys are a tough bunch. :D

That's an awful lot of cooling down.

He's going to be as cool as a cucumber when he gets back.

rcampbl

have to agree with you here Ken, since going low carbing I actually feel as if I have more energy.
In fact I fell off the wagon yesterday and feel like Sh** today so am being very strict with myself today to get back on track
Rosemary

Dillinger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Celery.

Easy now...

I for one am quite thrilled that we've got a post back that has got the blood up a bit - I know arguments are distressing to some, but it feels much more lively to have them here.

However, I don't for a moment doubt that the Good Doctor is a doctor or that he's here to spread some sort of conspiracy theory type agenda, I don't think any conditions should be placed upon him on how he comments or what he says. We are trying to find the answers here to serious issues and if you stop people from expressing an honest but different opinion to yours that's you done and dusted as an enquiring mind... You are not looking for answers you are just looking for people to agree with you and there's nothing down that road.

Let's get those medical text books out and have a discussion about the Krebs Cycle and ATP - I'd find that really useful.

So, I'm saying let the doctor speak and let's talk it through, we can then roll our eyes at his 'evangelical nonsense' phrases and point out the threads are generated by the users not the admin people so that a low uptake of 'high carb' discussions just means people are more interested in low carb ideas, fresh challenging and exciting as they are and then we can properly assess low carb diets and the Szent-Györgyi-Krebs cycle (as I prefer to call it...) :wink: .

Lastly, I have no love for pomposity and the Good Doctor is certainly in danger of straying into that arena (crammed as it is with health care professionals) switching from his ' I know as much about nutrition as most schoolchildren’ to being upset when challenged by Fergus, but let’s be clear if he is banned for his views or this thread is locked then shame on this site :evil:

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.

Hi Dillinger.

Admirable sentiments. I agree totally, except to say that the thread was locked because some of us have homes to go to and we aren't going to stop up all night overseeing argument and debate which quite obviously was going to get worse ?

Therefore the Topic was locked to give everybody a breathing space. No shame in that. Just a pause in the action. As for banning, if forum rules which all members should know are broken then any member could be suspended or banned. It's happened before, it could happen again.

Hope that helps.

Ken.

Dillinger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Celery.

Hi Ken,

Thanks for the reply. I look forward then to returning, once more unto the breach, when Doctor H gets going again ! :)

All the best

Dillinger

salsasue

Hi Dr H,

Welcome to the forum and great to read your thoughts and feeling relating to your type 2 diabetes situation too! It's good to have all views expressed on here and is a great, friendy and supportive forum! best wishes, Sue

Jen&Khaleb

Dislikes
Not having enough time. Broken sleep.

Hello Dr H,

I hope you get more benefit from this forum than a debate about carbs. Welcome aboard. I've got a T1 son so I mainly chat with other parents. Did you manage to have a life aswell as being a trauma surgeon? I imagine your job is stressful and you would keep unusual hours.

Jen.

ltvegh

Hi Dr H!

Im new to the site, Type 1. Just wanted to say its good to hear from someone who has been through uni with diabetes and came out sucessfully the other end! Im 25 and have spent 6yrs at uni but feel that im constantly battling to get somewhere because im always ill! You seem quite sensible about your diabetes, keep it up, ive already got eye probs and nueropathy and plenty more. If kept under control you'll be fine!

ltvegh

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)

Hmmmm, don't usually look in on this board so its the first time I've read this thread.

So where is the Dr, has he been banned for disagreeing with the mods?

cugila

Master
Dislikes

Sorry. Your point is ?

Moogie1947

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Hi there,
If Dr H's diet was so good then as a pre diabetic for years, why did he progress to full blown type II ?

I wish I'd have known 5 years ago about low carb diets, then I would not have got to my present diabetic diagnosis. I would have worked my socks off on the low carb diet instead of sticking with the advice to low GI I was given. I am also a vegetarian so low GI was never giving me enough protein without extra pulses with all their higher carb implications. I never lost weight on low GI in fact it kept creeping up. Now I am back to my weight of around 20 years ago.

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)

cugila said:
Sorry. Your point is ?

Was I making a point? I thought I was asking a question...The question mark after my sentence was a clue.

But if in a roundabout way you are asking me why I asked the question. Well it seems reading this thread that here was someone who dared to question some of the beliefs held here regarding energy and fats and had his views ridiculed and then got banned.

Or have I got it all wrong, please tell me if I have.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.

For your information this member was not banned,merely suspended for an Admin review.

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes

Doczoc said:
Think all those carbs were increasing his blood pressure LOL

cugila said:
Actually it's 7 days.....we need to let him have some time for re-training I think. :lol:

So its all LOL's and :lol: 's So its OK for you to ridicule the Dr is it? Highly amusing.

Dillinger said:
but let’s be clear if he is banned for his views or this thread is locked then shame on this site :evil:

The voice of reason. OK you may not agree with the Dr's views but does that mean he should not be allowed to air them?

cugila said:
Therefore the Topic was locked to give everybody a breathing space. No shame in that. Just a pause in the action. As for banning, if forum rules which all members should know are broken then any member could be suspended or banned. It's happened before, it could happen again.

Exactely which forum rules were broken? I was not aware there was a rule saying "You must agree with the mods at all times".

cugila said:
Sorry. Your point is ?

Now the sarcastic ridiculing is directed at me, and please don't patronise me by telling me you weren't being sarcastic.

sugarless sue said:
For your information

Talking of patronising :lol:

sugarless sue said:
this member was not banned,merely suspended for an Admin review.

Admin revue? Cencorship that suspends or bans on the grounds of disagreement smacks of the regimes of North Korea or China, I thought that we in the west had a modicum of free speech left, obviously not on this forum

Status
Not open for further replies.