Hello, new here, thought I'd poke my head in. :)

menelly

Hi! I found y'all on a Google search and you look like a nice informative place to hang out. :) I'm a RH patient after a gastric bypass left me with a pancreas and liver that have decided that functioning properly is optional. (sigh) However, with about 9-10 months with a CGM, I've noticed that my lows tend to fluctuate far more with my hormones than with what I eat. I can eat the exact same meal in the exact same quantities during ovulation and tank to <40-50 and then 5 days later eat it and stay at 70+ at my lowest. Do any other still menstruating people have similar experiences? (I also notice that my highs are <generally> not as high on non-hormonal weeks.) Period week (and the days leading up to it) are equally awful (or worse.)

I know the general consensus is everything is carb related, but do other uterus bearers have similar experiences, where it's more hormonal than anything else?

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Sorry, pass!
@Brunneria is of that species!

Insulin is considered a hormone, as with all hormones they have a bearing on how the body reacts to food, and of course the resulting symptoms, every day!

Anyway, welcome to the forum!
Hi! I found y'all on a Google search and you look like a nice informative place to hang out. :) I'm a RH patient after a gastric bypass left me with a pancreas and liver that have decided that functioning properly is optional. (sigh) However, with about 9-10 months with a CGM, I've noticed that my lows tend to fluctuate far more with my hormones than with what I eat. I can eat the exact same meal in the exact same quantities during ovulation and tank to <40-50 and then 5 days later eat it and stay at 70+ at my lowest. Do any other still menstruating people have similar experiences? (I also notice that my highs are <generally> not as high on non-hormonal weeks.) Period week (and the days leading up to it) are equally awful (or worse.)

I know the general consensus is everything is carb related, but do other uterus bearers have similar experiences, where it's more hormonal than anything else?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, welcome,

You’ve been through the wars.

And yeah - hormones throw a real spanner in the works for me too, but less now that I have more miles on the clock. Happens to type 1 diabetics too, apparently. They often have to adjust their insulin ratios around the time of the month. I think the hormones affect insulin resistance which just makes everything more wangy.