Hello

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi.

I was diagnosed last week - Type 2 it seems, my HbA1c is 50 - and I haven't yet had any contact with diabetic services apart from an appointment for a retinopathy check in January. No medication prescribed. Not sure what to expect as this forum shows a wide range of experiences. To be honest I'm slightly relieved that it looks like a lot of problems over the last few years are caused by my diabetes rather than anything worse. I've had good experience with low-carb diets in the past and I hope that can be replicated. Exercise is a bit more difficult - I have a number of injuries from sports and other things that limit what is possible - only the boring stuff, apparently. Would really like to hear from anyone with reduced spinal mobility who has solved this.

Kenny

Reactions: Redshank

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
As you are only just in the diabetic range a reduction in carb intake should resolve the problem, as eating low carb is a powerful tool in controlling blood glucose.

mouseee

No exercise here... just LC but halved my hba1c in 3 months so definitely possible to get from 50 down low with no exercise. It was just a lack of motivation for exercise. It is part of my continuing plan!!

Reactions: KennyA

Ryhia

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Welcome to the forum. I have mild cervical stenosis/spondylosis. In the past I have been advised by doctors not to undertake strenuous exercise. When I was first diagnosed I did use a low impact Air walker for a time, but its not being used at present. I do try to do some gentle walking when I feel I want, or need to, other than that my bloods are kept in check by eating low carb and testing with a blood glucose monitor. Seems to be working for me at present; started off with an HbA1c average of 53 in Feb, last Hba1c in July was 39. In recent weeks I have been seeing lower averages from my readings so it will be interesting to see what my next HbA1c will be.

I was never given the option of taking meds just told to try to control my levels by diet. I find my glucose meter has been a godsend in helping me achieve "normal" levels, as using it before and 2hrs after meals, gives me insight into how my body reacts to the food I eat and I can tailor what I eat accordingly.

Last edited:
Reactions: KennyA

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi.

I was diagnosed last week - Type 2 it seems, my HbA1c is 50 - and I haven't yet had any contact with diabetic services apart from an appointment for a retinopathy check in January. No medication prescribed. Not sure what to expect as this forum shows a wide range of experiences. To be honest I'm slightly relieved that it looks like a lot of problems over the last few years are caused by my diabetes rather than anything worse. I've had good experience with low-carb diets in the past and I hope that can be replicated. Exercise is a bit more difficult - I have a number of injuries from sports and other things that limit what is possible - only the boring stuff, apparently. Would really like to hear from anyone with reduced spinal mobility who has solved this.

Kenny
Mobility shouldn't be much of an issue: You're just barely in the diabetic range, and a low carb diet (a permanent one, so maybe consider it more a lifestyle from here on in) would soon bring your levels back down to the normal range. And most likely fix the complications you've been experiencing which you can now attribute to the elevated blood sugars. So yay, nothing stands in your way when it comes to tackling this!

Reactions: KennyA and angustia

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome,

I also couldn't do any exercise when first diagnosed but brought my HbA1c within normal range by diet alone- I've started exercise but nothing vigorous. First time in my life I've lost weight without counting calories and/or doing lots of exercise.

Good luck and welcome.

Reactions: KennyA and angustia

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for all the replies. I have my first appointment with the DSN on 7 January. Feeling good on low carbs and thanks to this forum now know about Marston's Resolution. Tried one - maybe not the best beer in the world but it is beer and it has 2g carbs per bottle.