Hello

Hi all. I'm new to the forum, I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes and Diabetic Nephropathy in 2016.
I joined because until recently my diabetes has been under control and stable, but I have been told that my neuropathy has got so bad now that I have no feeling in my feet at all.
I guess I'm after support/advice on what I can do to make sure it doresn't get any worse (I can still walk currently)

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome.
How is your diabetes treated, and what are your test results like?

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
OK but if you walk around barefoot do you feel things through your feet?

Probably not a good idea to walk around barefoot in this situation? Way too easy to damage your feet unfortunately.

@EgregiousOnion (and I love your username too) welcome to the forums. If you search neuropathy on the forums there are quite a few threads from sufferers.

@Resurgam 's question on treatment and results is pretty relevant, as tightening your diabetic control may be an option to help your situation.

Hello and welcome.
How is your diabetes treated, and what are your test results like?
Hi. My diabetes is treated with Linagliptin 5mg once a day and careful diet, though I find it very hard to balance a diabetic and renal diet.
Test results are generally very good. Hba1c is usually around the early 40s, though it spiked to 67 in April, but back down to 51 now (Last week's result)
Blood sugars vary between 6 and 8, I have them tested a couple of times a month at dialysis.

Reactions: EllieM

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I rarely walk around barefoot apart from occasionally if I get up for the toilet in the night, but I don't really feel my feet touching the floor even

I was warned years ago that I shouldn't go barefoot around the house, just because of my diabetes. In your position, I might try to have a pair of slippers to hand near the bed. It's not worth risking a foot injury because you can't feel anything.

Sorry I can't offer any more advice, your diabetic levels sound pretty good to me. Do you think you may have had years of high blood sugars before the diagnosis in 2016? Are your doctors confident it's diabetic neuropathy and not something else?

Lots of virtual hugs.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
though I find it very hard to balance a diabetic and renal diet.

One more thought, what do you count as a diabetic diet? If it's the NHS eatwell plate then you may have some options, though I appreciate that a kidney friendly diet probably takes priority.

I was warned years ago that I shouldn't go barefoot around the house, just because of my diabetes. In your position, I might try to have a pair of slippers to hand near the bed. It's not worth risking a foot injury because you can't feel anything.

Sorry I can't offer any more advice, your diabetic levels sound pretty good to me. Do you think you may have had years of high blood sugars before the diagnosis in 2016? Are your doctors confident it's diabetic neuropathy and not something else?

Lots of virtual hugs.

My consultant thinks I was diabetic for a long time before I was diagnosed and that's what caused my kidneys to fail ☹