Helloooo

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you for your response
No I don’t have a testing meter…should I get one anyway, in the past 2 meetings with the diabetic nurse she never mentioned it, to be honest I’m not sure why she bothered ringing me I’m still none the wiser so I’m glad I found this site
Normally I would have a cereal… I can’t face cooked foods in the morning it but looking at a few of the food posts I’ve tried to have omelette or scrambled egg with ham or bacon though I’m still feeling hungry and I think I’d much rather dive into a bowl of cereal..I will keep trying with this cooked food, as I work shifts I guess it will be fine when I’m on lates I can have it later in the morning, I know I’m going to find it difficult to have a cooked breakfast at 5.30 -6.00am.
I never realised that so many foods have carbs in them I have tried Seafood but not being a fan of it it took me 30mins to get one prawn in my mouth nope couldn’t do it I’m not into fish thou I am trying to introduce into my diet and,
I’m not a great meat eater so that might prove a problem will see.
I did change my milk for coconut milk thinking this was the better option …it tastes lovely but I’ve no idea if it’s good for me or not.
The good news is that you can be back at normal BG levels within a matter of months. A meter is how you know what foods (ie carbs) affect your system and how much. People vary and what raises my BG unacceptably might have a different effect on yours. It's not one size fits all. You'll also see from day to day (with luck) that your blood glucose levels are falling, which they should with a low-carb lifestyle. I'd strongly recommend you get a meter, test directly before eating and two hours after finishing, and record your results and what you ate. You might also want to test in the mornings first thing, but maybe not so important to begin with.

Cereal is something I no longer go near. It is carbs to begin with and often has sugar added, sometimes in the form of "healthy fruit". One of the big challenges to a newly diagnosed T2 is accepting that almost all the "healthy eating" advice we've been used to getting all our lives is wrong and dangerous for T2 diabetics like me. Unfortunately I liked eating fruit, bread, pasta, rice, cereals, porridge, all that stuff that the media constantly says is healthy for all of us but is what took me to diabetic levels. It was either stop eating it or accept that my symptoms were only going to get worse.

Good luck.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
WOW! Really???
Yeah!
It all stems from when "low fat diets" were reputed to be the best and low fat was (randomly) defined as under 5 %, so manufacturers started removing fat from yoghurt, and added in sugar, sweeteners and flavourings instead.
For a low carb, higher good fat diet, the best yoghurt is a thick Greek or Greek style plain yoghurt. The nutritional ingredients on the back should just state Milk and nothing else (some list the bacteria but they don't have to)
As your taste buds adjust and you get used to less sweetness this yoghurt will start to taste heavenly. Later on still, if you need to lose more weight you can go to the lower fat versions, but initially the full fat versions will help keep you feel full for longer (satiety)

I like Lidls creamy yoghurt which is 75% full fat greek yoghurt with 25% cream added, and even then it is only 10% fat overall and 4.5 g of carbs

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Social mixing most sport, Soaps!
Yeah!
It all stems from when "low fat diets" were reputed to be the best and low fat was (randomly) defined as under 5 %, so manufacturers started removing fat from yoghurt, and added in sugar, sweeteners and flavourings instead.
For a low carb, higher good fat diet, the best yoghurt is a thick Greek or Greek style plain yoghurt. The nutritional ingredients on the back should just state Milk and nothing else (some list the bacteria but they don't have to)
As your taste buds adjust and you get used to less sweetness this yoghurt will start to taste heavenly. Later on still, if you need to lose more weight you can go to the lower fat versions, but initially the full fat versions will help keep you feel full for longer (satiety)

I like Lidl creamy yoghurt which is 75% full fat greek yoghurt with 25% cream added, and even then it is only 10% fat overall and 4.5 g of carbs
Thank you sooo much for explaining that to me! I was getting anxious at not finding one that was 'full fat'. I shop online as I daren't go into shops just yet, so I will need to see if Asda, Iceland or Tesco do a suitable one. We don't have an Aldo or Lidl where I live. You have cheered me up no end :D

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you sooo much for explaining that to me! I was getting anxious at not finding one that was 'full fat'. I shop online as I daren't go into shops just yet, so I will need to see if Asda, Iceland or Tesco do a suitable one. We don't have an Aldo or Lidl where I live. You have cheered me up no end :D
No problem.
This low carb higher good fats malarkey is tough to get ones head around as it turns most conventional diets on their heads. If you've got other questions you can always start your own thread to keep all the replies together. No one here minds questions, we all had them