Helloooo

Sandy-55

Hi to all you lovely people ..I’m Sandy 55 years old … last year I was classed as prediabetic got put on a prevention programme, but due to my father passing away in 2019 my head wasn’t clear in dealing with the programme and it was over the phone too due to COVID my attention just wandered, well now Ive been diagnosed as type 2 diabetes. On the 9.6.2021 since then I’ve had 2 calls from the diabetic nurse now as a chat, I’m guessing the next appointment is for my MOT check up ,
My mum had stroke diabetes , double amputee in that order… so that’s kind of a worry..
I am absolutely confused in what I should be eating, I need all the help and guidance please
thanks Sandy

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
As it seems you have been diagnosed early, simply eating a lower carb diet, fewer starchy and sugary foods might very well do the trick.
Do you have a testing meter? They can really help a lot to see how various foods affect you. You might well be advised not to - because the NHS can't afford to fund the testing, though they seem OK to deal with the consequences of high blood glucose, which is rather silly, to my way of thinking, but the basic menu is low carb veges and berries, as the lowest carb fruits, along with meat, fish, seafood, eggs, cheese, cream and full fat Greek yoghurt.
This is contrary to the advice of many, but there is nothing wrong with a type 2s ability to cope with protein and fat, but sugar and starches are where the problem starts.

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
Hi Sandy.
Welcome to the club: )

Sandy-55

As it seems you have been diagnosed early, simply eating a lower carb diet, fewer starchy and sugary foods might very well do the trick.
Do you have a testing meter? They can really help a lot to see how various foods affect you. You might well be advised not to - because the NHS can't afford to fund the testing, though they seem OK to deal with the consequences of high blood glucose, which is rather silly, to my way of thinking, but the basic menu is low carb veges and berries, as the lowest carb fruits, along with meat, fish, seafood, eggs, cheese, cream and full fat Greek yoghurt.
This is contrary to the advice of many, but there is nothing wrong with a type 2s ability to cope with protein and fat, but sugar and starches are where the problem starts.

Thank you for your response
No I don’t have a testing meter…should I get one anyway, in the past 2 meetings with the diabetic nurse she never mentioned it, to be honest I’m not sure why she bothered ringing me I’m still none the wiser so I’m glad I found this site
Normally I would have a cereal… I can’t face cooked foods in the morning it but looking at a few of the food posts I’ve tried to have omelette or scrambled egg with ham or bacon though I’m still feeling hungry and I think I’d much rather dive into a bowl of cereal..I will keep trying with this cooked food, as I work shifts I guess it will be fine when I’m on lates I can have it later in the morning, I know I’m going to find it difficult to have a cooked breakfast at 5.30 -6.00am.
I never realised that so many foods have carbs in them I have tried Seafood but not being a fan of it it took me 30mins to get one prawn in my mouth nope couldn’t do it I’m not into fish thou I am trying to introduce into my diet and,
I’m not a great meat eater so that might prove a problem will see.
I did change my milk for coconut milk thinking this was the better option …it tastes lovely but I’ve no idea if it’s good for me or not.

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
Yes absolutely get a meter, that way you know what the problem foods are. Over time you’ll be able to build a menu that you enjoy eating and won’t cause spikes. You can’t fix what you can’t measure.

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Social mixing most sport, Soaps!
Thank you for your response
No I don’t have a testing meter…should I get one anyway, in the past 2 meetings with the diabetic nurse she never mentioned it, to be honest I’m not sure why she bothered ringing me I’m still none the wiser so I’m glad I found this site
Normally I would have a cereal… I can’t face cooked foods in the morning it but looking at a few of the food posts I’ve tried to have omelette or scrambled egg with ham or bacon though I’m still feeling hungry and I think I’d much rather dive into a bowl of cereal..I will keep trying with this cooked food, as I work shifts I guess it will be fine when I’m on lates I can have it later in the morning, I know I’m going to find it difficult to have a cooked breakfast at 5.30 -6.00am.
I never realised that so many foods have carbs in them I have tried Seafood but not being a fan of it it took me 30mins to get one prawn in my mouth nope couldn’t do it I’m not into fish thou I am trying to introduce into my diet and,
I’m not a great meat eater so that might prove a problem will see.
I did change my milk for coconut milk thinking this was the better option …it tastes lovely but I’ve no idea if it’s good for me or not.
Sandy I'm very similar to you in that I can rarely face a cooked breakfast and also 'dive into cereal'. But I've gained two stone over lockdown, especially being paranoid about going out! This last few days I've delayed breakfast though .. the first day having nothing but copious amounts of tea, water and a minute serving of orange juice diluted with hot water, and actually eating nothing at all until 3pm ! The following days I have delayed until 11am but returned to a very small dish of my muesli with almond milk (like you I have coconut milk some days) and to make up for the quarter portion of cereal I've added two dessertspoons of Chia, Flaxseed, pumpkin seed mix to make up the shortfall. I have absolutely no idea if I'm doing the right thing here! I try to read everything on here and a lot does help, but I'm struggling so I am waiting to see what advice you get. x

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Resurgam, where do you get the full fat Greek yogurt because I just cannot find this anywhere! The only ones I see are either reduced fat or fat free! Thank you x

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I can find full fat yoghurt in Aldi and Lidl and Morrison's in my area but they do need searching for sometimes I can eat 1slice of Burgen soya and linseed bread toasted with lots of cheese toasted on top and a smear of Marmite for my breakfast followed by Yoghurt and berries for breakfast
Carol

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I can find full fat yoghurt in Aldi and Lidl and Morrison's in my area but they do need searching for sometimes I can eat 1slice of Burgen soya and linseed bread toasted with lots of cheese toasted on top and a smear of Marmite for my breakfast followed by Yoghurt and berries for breakfast
Carol
Ahh now that will explain it! There's no Aldi or Lidl here and the only Morrisons is a few miles away (I don't drive) but thank you for that xx

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
Sandy I'm very similar to you in that I can rarely face a cooked breakfast and also 'dive into cereal'. But I've gained two stone over lockdown, especially being paranoid about going out! This last few days I've delayed breakfast though .. the first day having nothing but copious amounts of tea, water and a minute serving of orange juice diluted with hot water, and actually eating nothing at all until 3pm ! The following days I have delayed until 11am but returned to a very small dish of my muesli with almond milk (like you I have coconut milk some days) and to make up for the quarter portion of cereal I've added two dessertspoons of Chia, Flaxseed, pumpkin seed mix to make up the shortfall. I have absolutely no idea if I'm doing the right thing here! I try to read everything on here and a lot does help, but I'm struggling so I am waiting to see what advice you get. x
@Sandy-55 and @coby There are many carb free granola recipes available on the internet. If you are used to cereals in the morning this could be the way forward. Just don't expect a big portion, because they are nutritionally dense, as opposed to puffed up with air, you don't need much to fill you up.
Hope you both find something that suits you.

Reactions: Sandy-55

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ahh now that will explain it! There's no Aldi or Lidl here and the only Morrisons is a few miles away (I don't drive) but thank you for that xx
You could try Asda or if you have Asian shops in your area they sell full fat yoghurt
Carol

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Resurgam, where do you get the full fat Greek yogurt because I just cannot find this anywhere! The only ones I see are either reduced fat or fat free! Thank you x
Mine is Greek style, but low carb - from Lidl.

I find Lidl and Aldi far more simple to shop in for low carb - I also go to Asda for the low carb protein bread if I need it.

Do be aware that the full fat and low fat cartons are identical in design, but the shade of blue is the key if you don't spot the 'low fat' flag - dark blue is the full fat, and the big rectangular 1kg tubs are very handy for gardening as they fill all the space on a shelf and I put 5 on a grow bag, with the bottom cut out to grow tomatoes and get double the crop of a grow bag alone.

Reactions: Sandy-55

Rustytypin

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, my local “small town” Sainsbury’s and M &S both sell full fat yogurt and Greek yoghurts. A quick google shows Tesco also sells the same. You should be able to find them quite easily, just make sure you read the labels! There is a lot of similar stuff around that can be high in carbs, especially for example, yoghurts with honey or fruit.

Reactions: coby

Sandy-55

Hi Coby
I think we’ve all gained weight over the lockdowns so you’re not alone. surely that’s not good to be eating nothing until 15.00 pm hopefully someone can help you…. There is so much information on here it’s a little bit mind boggling but I’m sure we’ll get there.

Sandy-55

Thank you for your replies I’ll look out for the Greek yogurt tomorrow when I’m food shopping
I’ll check out the meter on line I did ask at boots and they don’t sell it, but would I need to get a sharpes box with that?

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Thank you for your replies I’ll look out for the Greek yogurt tomorrow when I’m food shopping
I’ll check out the meter on line I did ask at boots and they don’t sell it, but would I need to get a sharpes box with that?
Sandy I hope you find the yogurt because I cannot for some reason. The best I found was 10 per cent fat, but I had hoped for full fat? A few folk made suggestions as to where I could find it but so far I've drawn a blank.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think we’ve all gained weight over the lockdowns so you’re not alone. surely that’s not good to be eating nothing until 15.00 pm

Hi there, I don't eat anything until 5pm. I have one meal a day and I'm perfectly fine with that. The only time I may eat at other times is on the odd occasion if I'm heading for a hypo, then I might have a 15 carb snack. I work shifts too and have eaten like this for as long as I can remember. It's not for everyone of course but as to whether it's 'good', then yes, it certainly is. x

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sandy I hope you find the yogurt because I cannot for some reason. The best I found was 10 per cent fat, but I had hoped for full fat? A few folk made suggestions as to where I could find it but so far I've drawn a blank.
10% is full fat in yoghurt terms.
Even butter is only 81% fat