Help blood sugar way too high

Exco16

Hello I’m new to this but wondered if there was anyone who could help me I have had type2 diabetes for quite a few years but really haven’t kept a big check on it so now I am having trouble with working out what I’m supposed do to get my blood sugar down my morning ones have been very high between 15.1 / 16.1 then before lunch they are 13.1 then before dinner roughly 11.1 then before bed 15 / 16 again I know this is very bad but I’m worrying so much now about it I am changing my bread from normal white to wholemeal and seedy brown one also nuts to snack on but the nurse at my doctors seem to think I will never get down to single figures but after having nuts and changing bread I got the blood down to 9.01 but only once and that was at about 5 o’clock before dinner any one out there tell me how I can get myself back on track many thanks for any help

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello and welcome to the forum Exco16
Although you’re not new to type 2 you may find this info for newbies useful:
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/basic-information-for-newly-diagnosed-diabetics.17088/
I know you think you have done the right thing changing to brown bread and this has indeed shown some improvement, however all carbs regardless of being brown or white are a problem for us type 2s.
Many of us here now have non diabetic numbers by reducing our carb intake. Stick with us and we’ll help you.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello I’m new to this but wondered if there was anyone who could help me I have had type2 diabetes for quite a few years but really haven’t kept a big check on it so now I am having trouble with working out what I’m supposed do to get my blood sugar down my morning ones have been very high between 15.1 / 16.1 then before lunch they are 13.1 then before dinner roughly 11.1 then before bed 15 / 16 again I know this is very bad but I’m worrying so much now about it I am changing my bread from normal white to wholemeal and seedy brown one also nuts to snack on but the nurse at my doctors seem to think I will never get down to single figures but after having nuts and changing bread I got the blood down to 9.01 but only once and that was at about 5 o’clock before dinner any one out there tell me how I can get myself back on track many thanks for any help
Hi @Exco16 , and welcome,

First off: relax. You're going to get this under control, and you're going to blow the mind of the nurse. Secondly, you've already seen that a change in your diet can have an impact, but you don't know what changes to make. That's where practically the whole T2 part of this forum can come in: we do. https://josekalsbeek.blogspot.com/2019/11/the-nutritional-thingy.html is the quick start guide I wrote with everything I wish someone'd told me from the get-go. I hadn't found this place until much later, otherwise it all would've gotten under control a lot quicker, but hey. Water under the bridge.

It's all carbs, basically... They turn to glucose once ingested. Not just the sugars, but the starches too. That does sadly include the brown carbs of whole meal bread, so you're actually better off not having bread all together... Sorry. Same with spuds, pasta, rice, cereal, corn, most fruit (berries and tomatoes are alright, but that's practically it). But that leaves a whole lot of other things... Eggs with bacon or ham, cheese, mushrooms, tomato and/or high-meat content sausages for breakfast sound alright? Or full fat greek yoghurt with nuts, or coconut shavings, or a couple of berries? (Think of it, in the summer you can have strawberries with unsweetened whipped cream.... And it wouldn't hurt your blood sugars! Clotted cream is good too. ;)) Salads with tuna, salmon or warmed goat's cheese? Meat, fowl or fish with above ground, non-starchy veggies for dinner, maybe with cauliflower rice or celeriac as a spud-replacer? (That rice is insanely versatile). Better not snack, but if you absolutely have to, cheeses, cold cuts, olives, pork scratchings, extra dark chocolate (85% Lindt is good!).... It is an adjustment to make, yes. But it is very effective and you get to prove people in the medical profession wrong, which I have to say from experience, is one heck of a kicker. ;)

You'll get this T2 thing on track. Take a moment to learn about carbs, go over your grocerylist and scratch what is too carby for you, go through the house with a box for the food bank if you don't want to throw things out, and check nutritional information for your next trip to the grocerystore online... You don't want to go in there not knowing what's what, because if you have to chec every single label, you'll be there for a few hours. (again, experience speaking). Just check what you want, what you need to replace, and adjust your shopping list acordingly before you go. It's a fantatsic investment of your time. And remember: You want to check all carbs, not just "of which sugars".

Good luck!
Jo

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Welcome to the forum. Most of us control our numbers by restricting the carbohydrates we eat. Read around the forum and ask lots of questions.

Do you know the number of your last hba1c?

Consider getting a glucose meter, it's an invaluable tool when you are starting out.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello @Exco16

We may be able to help more appropriately with a little more information from you. Can you tell us which diabetes medications you are taking (if any) and what you latest HbA1c test result was?

You seem to have your own glucose meter. Can you tell us exactly when you test each day? Is this ever 2 hours after starting a meal?

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
I agree with all the posts above. Low Carb isn't a 'fad diet' it is the original (published) weight Loss diet (from back in the 1800's),
It is the modern advice which is a fad - i.e. Eatwell Plate, 5 a Day, encouraging snacking (which just means your Insulin stays higher for longer) etc.

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome,

I agree with the previous posters- it is possible to make dietary changes that will help your blood sugar levels go lower.

You have found the best site for help and support and information for diabetics. Read the information Rachox and JoKalsbeek have posted- it is really helpful.

You sound like you have a meter and test regularly- which is great. Try reducing your carb intake for a few days and see what happens to your levels- just a warning it may take a few days to get lower as your body may dump glucose into your system to keep it at the levels it is used to and be aware that some people (me included) suffer from keto flu when first dramatically reducing your carb intake.

Good luck- keep posting, asking questions and reading around on this site. There are many amazing knowledgeable people on this site who are willing to help- this site has made all the difference to me and can do the same for you.

Any questions just ask- if you need to vent that's okay too. We are in this together and the more we help and support each other the better we will all be.

Good luck and welcome.

Reactions: Lotties