Help Daughter on Insulin pump but forgets to do it

juls

Hi I hope someone out there can help me my daughter is 9 and has been on an isulin pump for 1.5 years now but seems to be going through a phase of forgetting to bolus, it is driving me mad as i feel like a parrott constantly asking her if she has done it, but she is now forgetting at school, any tips would be much appreciated - a worried mum. :(

Jen&Khaleb

Dislikes
Not having enough time. Broken sleep.
Have you tried getting a watch with an alarm to remind her? Do you think someone at school would be able to check that she has done the bolus? Is there some reason why she doesn't do the bolus? Maybe she doesn't want to get caught taking the pump out by her peers. Has a teacher made a stupid comment?

My brother-in-law is a high school teacher and made a kid at school cry for refusing to hand over his "ipod/mobile phone". I made my brother-in-law go and apologise to the kid because I knew he was diabetic and what my BIL thought way headphones was insulin tubing. I still can't work out why the kid wouldn't tell a teacher it was an insulin pump? I wondered why as a teacher he didn't already know that he was diabetic and also using a pump but in high school the kids go from class to class and the teachers really don't see personal information on every child. Kids can be pretty secretive with their diabetes stuff also.

9 would be a hard age. Not old enough to be responsible but not young enough to have someone be doing it all for her. A rock and hard place ...

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
My friend is a teacher, and she acts on the parents instructions as to making the child in her class do her bolus and checking her levels. I know the parent gives my friend the teacher the BG diary to complete with the child.....and sometimes this is done by somebody that supervises lunch time meals. The child takes in her own food which has already been evaluated for the carbs, and written in the BG diary, my friend was shown by the parent what the procedure is i.e Test blood, eat and bolus, and that is what the child does. The child is also 9.

It may be that the pump etc could be discussed with the school.

I only know about this, as my friend came to stay two weeks before I went on to a pump last week, and she was telling me about this child and the pump, and her part, AND telling me how easy it is!!!!!

I have no doubts that my teacher friend, just watches the child and just signs to say that the full meal was ate, or not, and what the BG was, and the bolus given, but having been on pump for a week, my friend was absolutely right as to what the procedures are.......