Help Dieting

Christine1

Hello
I am a Type 2 Diabetic which is controlled with Insulin and Metformin. I have been on insulin since approx 2002, but quite honestly have never got my head around my diabetes, food etc etc, and my sugar levels have always run high and been all over the place, and I have sunk my head in the sand and ignored it. As a result of this I developed severe proliferative diabetic retinopathy, and most of my peripheral eye sight has been lazered away and I am now registered as partially sighted.

Finally, I have after all this time, now woken up, and realised I need to get my life, especially my diabetes in order and that I need to loose weight, and totally change my eating lifestyle. I want to loose approximately 5 stone in weight.

I am about to embark on a healthy living life style regime, which will totally change the way I eat, understand and view food, coupled with 2 exercise sessions a week. I am attending a taster session tomorrow evening, but over the last week have started to make subtle changes following what I already know about the eating regime. I am cutting out bread, gluten as much as I possibly can, and if I eat pasta or rice limiting it to brown pasta or rice and limiting it to 5 cooked tablespoons of pasta, but if I can I want to omit these from my diet too. There will be lots of other changes too.

The problem I am having is what food to put with salad at lunch time to keep my sugar levels from falling. At the moment I have been having chopped up celery, cucumber, tomatoes, peppers, mixed beans and pulses with 4 or 5 corn thins, with say a tin of fish in oil, or chopped up chicken. As I work full time I have to take something that is already prepared and easy to eat. However, I am finding that approximately 4 hours after having my lunch my sugars are dropping to 4 or thereabouts. I don't usually have my evening meal until around 7 in the evening, so this is quite a problem, as this drop could happen when I am still at work.

Are there any suggestions what I can add to my lunch time meal that would help give a slow release of sugars so my sugars don't drop too low, or any other alternatives for a working person to take for their lunch.

I am sorry if this is a bit long winded, but I needed people to understand my problem. I am committed and determined to get my blood sugars down and to loose the weight. It has been many years in the coming but hopefully this is not too late for me to sort out, and will extend my life and give me many extra years around to see my grandaughter who is due to be born in January.

Thank you.

Christine

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
Hi welcome :) well done for making the decision to make the changes, if you were to try low carbing you would reduce your weight, blood sugars and hopefully need less insulin, but as I know nothing of insulin I'll step aside and let folks who know help

Good luck :)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Christine1

Hi Andy
Thanks for your reply, I have to admit I don't really understand low carbing, but I think the diet regime I am following is probably a low carb diet. You seem to have done really well with your blood sugar levels, and I wish you luck, and hope mine will soon be on the downwards slide too. Thanks again.

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
Hi, it basically works like this, carbohydrates turn to sugar once eaten so the less carbs you eat the less sugar you eat, after that it's just a case of learning which foods are lower in carbs than others, also low GI carbs are better than high GI ones because they turn into sugar slower therefore not spiking blood glucose, there is endless amounts of info on this forum and I would advise having a read, anything specific you can ask, for example beans and corn are high carb :( everyone reacts differently to different levels of carbs so it's trial and error with the testing but I have read many many stories of low carb living means insulin reduction therefore helping with the weight loss so it's win win :)

Christine1

Hi Andy
Thanks for that, I think I get it, sort of, but I will have to try having a read through forum posts, when I have a bit of time.

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
Salads are easy I eat them every lunch time at work, lettuce, peppers, red onion, jalapeños, gherkins, small amounts of tomatoes, cucumber, cheese and any meat, oh and the best thing is you can eat fat! Goods fats of course but I eat as much fat as possible because it slows down carb release and stops you getting hungry as soon, some say limit fats but I don't or didn't and the weight fell off like this

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
What insulin do you take? It sounds as if you normally take a fixed dose?
If your bg is dropping to 4.0 2-3 hours after eating then if it was me I would be liwering my insulin by 1unit downward...
However, this will depend whether you are on bolus/basal regime or a mixtard insulin.

Christine1

Hi Donnellysdogs

Yes I am on a bolus/basal regime. I take Levemire which is split up to twice a day, and I take novorapid 3 times a day prior to meals. That is something I was thinking about reducing my lunch time insulin dosage by a unit, but as it is such early days into this new diet regime, I didnt want to do that just yet. Hopefully tomorrow I will know a lot more about what foods I can eat.

Christine1

Hi Andy
Like you I am trying to eat salads, although on this diet regime I cannot eat cheese, and can only eat chicken, turkey, or fish, but somehow it just isn't keeping the levels from falling too low. When I find out more tonight on what I can eat then I will probably give it a week with some trialing, and if I have no success then I may resort to dropping my lunch time insulin by a unit and see how it goes from there.

Just want to thank every one for their help. I will keep you posted on how its going.

Christine1

Hi Andy

Just another quick question please. You say about Fats, and good Fats, how do I find out what Fats are good and which ones are bad. Also same to do with GI, you say about low GI and high GI foods. How do I find out what are low and what ones are high? Obviously this will help when shopping and knowing what to steer away from.

Thank you.

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
Christine1 said:
Hi Andy

Just another quick question please. You say about Fats, and good Fats, how do I find out what Fats are good and which ones are bad. Also same to do with GI, you say about low GI and high GI foods. How do I find out what are low and what ones are high? Obviously this will help when shopping and knowing what to steer away from.

Thank you.

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?feature=plpp&v=FSeSTq-N4U4

Have a look at this Christine see what you think

http://lowfatcooking.about.com/od/lowfa ... adfats.htm. This is about fat

http://lowfatcooking.about.com/od/lowfa ... adfats.htm. This is about GI

The links are due to there being folks much smarter than I that can explain things better :)

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
Lol nooooooo I'm not! I'm a dumb builder, taken me forever to take this all in, and I learn new stuff all the time :)

Adan Bailey

Avoiding from fast food, cold drinks oil made products can help you to achieve your targets. Proper exercising is a good sign for your health and fitness. Milk, light dose, fruits, vegetables and exercise is good activity for perfect health.

Scales Store