Reactions: Angelofthemarches

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
From the nibbles section I would choose paté (no bread obvs), I hate olives but they would be a good choice if you like them. Main course I’d ask for cheese and bacon burger, no bun, sauces and pickles on the side so I can control how much I eat of them, then order a side salad to go with it.

Dancing Badger

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you for responding. I should have said in my OP that it's only the main course I need to think about as we're having nibbles and pre-drinks before walking to the restaurant. Also, the only salad ingredients I eat are tomatoes, cucumber and coleslaw, which wasn't a problem before attempting a low carb lifestyle.

• Friendly
Reactions: Rachox

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Most places are happy to do a couple of starters as a main course these days - I'd hit that charcuterie board and add halloumi. Somebody else can have the foccacia.

• Agree
Reactions: Rachox and Outlier

DEBBIESCOTT

Type of diabetes
MODY
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Burger without the bun & haloumi fries or fajitas without the wrap, was going to say add a salad, but read you don’t like salad
Have lots of nibbles before you go maybe

Lakeslover

I’d order the fajitas without the wraps, and the house slaw. Although it would be wise to ask if there is any sugar in the dressing.

barrym

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Everyone can do an omelette! Get them to add what ever you are happy with; bacon, mushrooms, pepper. Add a bit of green salad to fill the plate.

Stick to red wine and you won't even need to take your insulin:p

Reactions: Angela64

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Everyone can do an omelette! Get them to add what ever you are happy with; bacon, mushrooms, pepper. Add a bit of green salad to fill the plate.

Stick to red wine and you won't even need to take your insulin:p

The original poster is a type 2 managed with diet only I believe. And as a type 1 I personally would still need some insulin for the above.

barrym

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I think the suggestion is still valid, for T1 or T2. And a pointer to the fact that most kitchens will try and be helpful.

Regarding what a T1 would take for an omelette, if I were eating and going home almost immediately I probably wouldn't take anything immediately, ad just see how it goes.

Vive la différence, eh?

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Burger without the bun & haloumi fries or fajitas without the wrap, was going to say add a salad, but read you don’t like salad
Have lots of nibbles before you go maybe
Halloumi fries are often (but not always) coated in bread crumbs.

• Agree
Reactions: Rachox

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We're going out for lunch with a group of friends next week, and I'm struggling with what looks like a very high carb menu (link below). It's annual event, and last year, pre-diagnosis, I had the nasi goreng, which is really good. Steak would be the obvious choice, but from previous experience I know it wouldn't be wonderful. I'd be very grateful for for your opinions.

- Stir fry hold the noodles
- Thai Green Curry - hold the rice (maybe sub a salad). The curry should, if trying to be authentic, in a shallow bowl, so easily eaten, finishing with a spoon.
- A "nqked" burger, therefor hold the bun, with the options to add bacon or another patty

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
The burrata and tomato salad looks lovely to me.... (Might need to ask them to go light on the breadcrumbs).

Dancing Badger

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you for your responses. I'm still undecided - not least because OH (who is actually quite supportive and fully on board with low carb eating) suggested I order the nasi goreng and just not eat the rice, which wouldn't be hard because the rice component is modest and very much outweighed by the chicken, prawns, vegetables and omelette.

Decisions, decisions [drums fingers].

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you for your responses. I'm still undecided - not least because OH (who is actually quite supportive and fully on board with low carb eating) suggested I order the nasi goreng and just not eat the rice, which wouldn't be hard because the rice component is modest and very much outweighed by the chicken, prawns, vegetables and omelette.

Decisions, decisions [drums fingers].
If you're lucky, the nasi goreng is mixed in the kitchen right then and there.
So what about asking for the nasi goreng without the rice?
You can also contact them before and ask if this would be possible, which would save you from another week of trying to decide the best course.

Angela64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
T2 and PAF & now Haemochromatosis!
Ask for no rice. I’m low carb T2D. No rice or pasta, very little bread and only my home baked which has multi seed mix added. Eating out low carb is very challenging. If the restaurant is compliant that’s big plus.

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The literal translation of Nasi Goreng is “fried rice” in Indonesian and Malaysian. Ordering it without rice is like ordering cake without the flour.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
The literal translation of Nasi Goreng is “fried rice” in Indonesian and Malaysian. Ordering it without rice is like ordering cake without the flour.
Except, if it's made on the spot, and it has lots of ingredients to liven up the rice (as is often seen in western countries), they can easily do the goreng without the nasi.
No different than ordering a burger without the bun at Burger King.

Reactions: aylalake