Help Needed sweet weakness

anderson3000

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi all, a few years into diabetes type2 , first couple total denial, just spent time on metformin, had a couple of other pill sfor a while but had nasty side effects so took myself back off them.....last year tried to remove obvious carb....daily blood sugar hovers between 10 and 15 , no weight loss, because I still eat sweet things , have to snack from 5 til midnight (habit, boredom, hunger) ...love high fat stuff, which is playing to my weaknesses ...love love love cheese, cream and could eat loads.
New year, want to retry again...LCHF ...please offer solution to my sweet tooth (currently still helping clear sweet pile from Xmas) please do understand that I LOVE sweet stuff....but don’t add sugar to tea ....I am not finding this easy at all :(

Reactions: Liam1955

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It’s hard isn’t it but with blood sugars that high it won’t be long before you will get irriversable damage to your body.

There are sweet options, lots of them but you’ll need to bake them yourself. Look on the recipe section here, loads are easy to do.

Reactions: Sue192

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
The easiest thing that I found to have in the early days was a few berries in a bowl of Greek yoghurt. I would use frozen berries and allow the mixture to sit for five minutes then mix it all together, it is just like ice cream.
Another trick, strangely enough, was a teaspoon of good quality peanut butter. Not sweet but it took away cravings.

Reactions: Sue192

anderson3000

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thanks v much both......what is your view on adding a teaspoon of honey to Greek ya...appreciate its sweet but I like stuff?

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sugar is sugar and the only way to know if it has any impact on you is to test but do you really want to swap potential blindness and toes for honey? Have you tested an hour after you’ve had your evening sweet hit?

Look at the chocolate brownie recipe, or fat bombs, all are sweet but use sweetener instead.

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all, a few years into diabetes type2 , first couple total denial, just spent time on metformin, had a couple of other pill sfor a while but had nasty side effects so took myself back off them.....last year tried to remove obvious carb....daily blood sugar hovers between 10 and 15 , no weight loss, because I still eat sweet things , have to snack from 5 til midnight (habit, boredom, hunger) ...love high fat stuff, which is playing to my weaknesses ...love love love cheese, cream and could eat loads.
New year, want to retry again...LCHF ...please offer solution to my sweet tooth (currently still helping clear sweet pile from Xmas) please do understand that I LOVE sweet stuff....but don’t add sugar to tea ....I am not finding this easy at all :(

I use Stevia which you can buy from Holland & Barrett or Sainsbury’s.

Stevia is 200x sweeter than sugar but it’s zero sugar, zero carbs so it won’t affect your blood glucose levels. I use it for tea, yogurt, homemade low carb cakes and deserts!

Also buy “Cavalier Chocolates” from Friars.

Go to “No added sugar - Cavalier”...

https://www.friars.co.uk/

Cavalier is the only brand recommended for diabetics. Also sweetened with Stevia.

Quality is excellent!

knipster

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I find a super easy recipe of sugar free jelly powder, gelatine and 2/3 of a cup of water boiled and set in the fridge tastes sweet without a single carb and only 40 kcal in the entire mix is enough to control any cravings x

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sorry typo...trying to say I appreciate its sweet but I like to think that natural stuff is good ?
Lots of foods may be good for people with "normal" health. That's not you or me or the rest of the people on this Forum. If we were suffering from kidney failure, lovely healthy super-foods containing potassium (eg strawberries, dark chocolate, jacket potatoes) would be death to us. None of us here copes well with too many carbs so we have to make some very hard choices. Over time eating fewer sweet things changes one's sense of taste, so that foods we once enjoyed and craved now seem too sweet and sickly. (Lots of people have commented recently on experiencing this over Christmas.) I have found to my great surprise that some foods, such as vegetables, have come to taste much nicer than before. But there will IMO always be longings.

No-one can force you to eat less carbs and sugar, the choice is totally yours, but equally no-one can make it good for your long-term health to eat lots of them, whatever medicines you take. It's up to you to decide what you want most.

sunburst69

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Look into a low carb diet which trades carbs for fat & protein as a % of your diet. There are 0 cal/low cal sweeteners that are natural-I use stevia. Snacking late on high fat/protein/low carb foods is better than eating a lot of carbs late. A small amount of nuts with cinammon & whipped cream can satisfy a sweet tooth. A small amount of low carb ice cream or plain Greek yogurt and stevia (better carb/protein profile than regular) with a few berries and nuts is another good one-imho. There are many low carb/paleo/keto recipes for cookies, etc. Of course, portion control is always important. Fat and protein satisfy hunger better than carbs. Do some research and discuss with your doctor/team. You can do this - good luck.

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I snack on cheese, olives, pecan/walnuts, smoked salmon or sliced turkey/ham wrapped in lettuce.

I also make my own low carb “Keto” bread, cheese, carrot, chocolate cakes etc made with almond flour sweetened with Stevia.

Recipes on the low carb program and YouTube.

https://www.lowcarbprogram.com/

Delicious!

NatJS

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes
I found sugar free jelly helped a hell of a lot. If you really can't get on top of it, there are other medications to try - repaglinide, sulfonylureas, even insulin ultimately, and lots of others besides. At least that way your blood sugar will be more under control, even if the better solution is to reduce carbs. What's not a solution is having high blood sugar all the time, though. Best of luck.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think the easiest way to lower carb is to eat a breakfast totally without carbs, like 2 eggs and some olives, and maybe half a LIDL protein roll... with coconut oil on. and coffee with cream

I drink sparkling water and eat macadamia nuts in between and cheese sticks

if you eat a lot of protein early in the day, then you maybe won´t feel like eating the whole evening... maybe you should find yourself a hobby where you use your hands in the evening so you stop eating just out of boredom or go for a long walk

Last edited:

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I think the most easy way to lower carb is to eat a breakfast totally without carbs , like 2 eggs and some olives , and maybe half a LIDL protein roll... with coconut oil on. and coffee with cream
I drink sparkling water and eat macadamia nuts in between and cheesesticks

I was thinking that was not all that good an idea, and then realized that you were eating about 5gm of carbs as bread, plus some from olives so not none, and then you add in cheese sticks - surely they have carbs?

If you set your mind to eating only low carb foods and being kind to yourself, not your diabetes - which can grow into a monster if not squashed pretty quickly, then it seems that with some luck and a bit of effort and planning, all could be well.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
realized that you were eating about 5gm of carbs as bread, plus some from olives so not none, and then you add in cheese sticks - surely they have carbs?
Plus eggs have 0.6g carbs each and cream too is not carb free. Macadamia nuts also contain carbs, as do all nuts, alas! Fish, flesh, fowl, fats and Maxicol contain zero carbs. As far as I know, that's it.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was thinking that was not all that good an idea, and then realized that you were eating about 5gm of carbs as bread, plus some from olives so not none, and then you add in cheese sticks - surely they have carbs?

If you set your mind to eating only low carb foods and being kind to yourself, not your diabetes - which can grow into a monster if not squashed pretty quickly, then it seems that with some luck and a bit of effort and planning, all could be well.

well e few carbs in the olives or in the cheese, does depend on which kind of cheese you slice up for cheese sticks some emmenthaler cheese contains 0.5 gram of carb per 100 gram... well in my mind that is almost nothing, cream is only 3.2 grams of carbs per 100 grams which is also almost nothing when it comes to a cup of coffee with cream

but of cause if you eat less than 30 grams of carbs a day it will end up as a problem... but this is not the case I believe for anderson 3000

I sometimes use sucralose as a substitute for sugar in my coffee it is maybe not the most healthy but it tastes almost like real sugar

Last edited:

anderson3000

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thank you ALL for such helpful remarks....I’m really going to try to crack this....one more low grade question....houmous and low fat houmous ? Comments on both please (is this in the tick or the cross pile ?)

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you ALL for such helpful remarks....I’m really going to try to crack this....one more low grade question....houmous and low fat houmous ? Comments on both please (is this in the tick or the cross pile ?)

The glycemic index for chick peas is 28 which is low.

However, I would recommend making your own humus instead so that you’ll know exactly the ingredients and there aren’t any hidden sugars or carbs !

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The glycemic index for chick peas is 28 which is low.

However, I would recommend making your own humus instead so that you’ll know exactly the ingredients and there aren’t any hidden sugars or carbs !
Sainsburys Classic hummus has, they say, 10.6g carbs per 100g and 6.1gc per 3 tablespoons. By contrast their BGTY lower fat hummus has 11g carbs per 100g and 6.3gc per 3 tablespoons. So not a big difference in carbs. However the Classic has almost twice as many grams of fat. Whether you see that as an advantage will depend on the kind of anti-diabetes regime you decide on. Personally, I can't afford to spend 6 gc on 3 tablespoons of hummus, but it all depends on your carbohydrate budget.

Oh, and if you care about the Glycaemic index, higher fat is always going to be lower GI, other things being equal.