help - not sure what to expect

Cathy66

Hi
I have previously being told by my GP that I was classed as prediabeties. I have recently had a blood test for various other things (I have high blood pressure) and I now have an appointment with the Diabetic Nurse/Clinic. I have this feeling she's going to tell me I'm diabetic.
I'm trying not to let this get to me but it is. I don't know any readings or levels yet but true to form with me I'm expecting worse case scenario.
I know its a long shot (especially as I don't know anything yet) but can anyone put my mind at rest as to what I might expect from this meeting.

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
There is just no way of knowing until you get the results, but true to human form we often jump straight to the worst case scenario in our minds on just about anything. Perhaps call and see what the results are, you are entitled to them after all.

Reactions: HSSS

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If, and it is an if at this stage, I would expect (hope) you would be given the actual results in numbers along with an explanation of what this means. Possibly for cholesterol as well as blood sugar levels. I would also expect some basic tests like blood pressure and a urine sample. Your feet might get tickled with a tester to check for sensation.

You should have a discussion about the way forward and be given lifestyle and dietary advice and any medications relevant. This is where is can go badly wrong imo.

The lifestyle and dietary advice can vary from being excellent (low carb as opposed to low fat) to very vague (lose weight!). Some will want to go straight to medications before any trial of other changes. Others are happy for a short trial of changes before considering medications (Most medications will require dietary changes alongside them - and even if really quite high scores can come down very quickly with food changes alone if you are motivated to do that instead of drugs).

Some will want on you statins because it is “protocol for all diabetics “ (it’s not that clear cut btw) - whilst simultaneously not understanding much at all about them, their relevance and true benefits let alone side effects (raising hb1ac for one!) and cholesterol breakdown and ratios etc.

I’d strongly recommend you get your results before you attend so you can go armed with some pre knowledge and have any questions and requests ready rather than be ambushed. Remember your actions are your decision once armed with all the options. Come back on here for any help you’d like understanding the results and options.

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Some of the diet advice is rather out-of-date, ignoring not only recent research but NICE and NHS guidance - although I find the other services good.
For both pre-diabetes and type 2, low carb shows impressive results - and no, eating some extra fat doesn't usually raise cholesterol.
In most areas of England you can get a prescription (voucher) for the lowcarbprogram if you are interested. It was recommended as an option over a year ago but a lot of GP surgeries don't know.
https://nhsaccelerator.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/Low-Carb-Program-Implementation-Toolkit-1.pdf

Reactions: Rachox

Oscarbeaumont

First of all try not to worry, I know its easy for me to say that, but honestly my T2 diagnosis was oddly the best thing to happen to me. If you get a diabtetes diagnosis at least you know what it is and how you can go forward. To help you I will share with you my experience if thats OK. My husband sent me to the doctors in February as I just wasnt right and my Hb1ac (hope thats correct) was 65, I was 15 stones (Im 5 foot 6), had a constantly dry mouth, gingivitis, no energy, blurred vision and totally no energy and I looked a mess. I cant say it was easy but I decided to try to deal with this without drugs, but I was given amolodopine and ranapol for high blood pressure. After 3 months I was down to 50, and a further 3 months along it was 47. Im now on six monthly checks with a view to getting down to under 42, which I will do.

Ive also lost over 3 stones and dropped from size 22 to size 14. I ride and have a horse and Ive gone from a total passenger riding to a being fit enough to jump and at 57 years old I want to event and showjump my horse, we've also gone out and won at dressage as I can ride properly. Before anyone accuses me of horse squishing, he is a big animal and carried me fine before I lost weight. Life is also so much nicer and I feel and apparently look 15 years younger than my 57 years,

Go and get your diagnosis, and if you are diabetic then Im sure will be a shock - it is to all of us, but at least you can do something about it. Im not saying it will be easy it demands a total life style change. That first meeting should help prepare you for life as a diabetic and you may get offered some education as well - I was. I was offered metforin but have done all this by diet and life style changes and exercise. Take all of the advice given - I did apart from taking statins - my chlorestrol is under 5 and if I dont need the drugs. Also make sure you go to all your appointments as well. Dont be surprised to feel overwhelmed and worried, I felt like I was in a straight jacket and would never eat anything 'naughty' again. Honestly that passes and you will be OK. There is a lot of help on here. Good luck!

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
.................and I now have an appointment with the Diabetic Nurse/Clinic. I have this feeling she's going to tell me I'm diabetic..................I know its a long shot (especially as I don't know anything yet) but can anyone put my mind at rest as to what I might expect from this meeting.

Well it's probably not much more than a friendly chat with the practice diabetes nurse who may also be the asthma nurse, the heart nurse and the focal point for a number of different conditions, depending on your practice. They are more than likely trying to prevent you from becoming diabetic and will suggest that you watch what you eat and come back in a few months time for a follow up etc. Nothing to worry about at this stage.

Reactions: HSSS

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi
I have previously being told by my GP that I was classed as prediabeties. I have recently had a blood test for various other things (I have high blood pressure) and I now have an appointment with the Diabetic Nurse/Clinic. I have this feeling she's going to tell me I'm diabetic.
I'm trying not to let this get to me but it is. I don't know any readings or levels yet but true to form with me I'm expecting worse case scenario.
I know its a long shot (especially as I don't know anything yet) but can anyone put my mind at rest as to what I might expect from this meeting.
It's anyone's guess what the talk'll be about. Whether your numbers are prediabetic or diabetic, I hope you know there's a lot you yourself can do to tackle diabetes; before it even forms, or after it hits. First thing you do, at this appointent, is get a print out of all your testresults. They won't mean anything to you at this point, most likely, but they will eventually. You need to know where you're at so you know where you're headed. (So make it a standard practice to ask for those result. They're quite motivating!). If you need help interpreting the numbers, we're right here to help. Secondly, https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blog-entry/the-nutritional-thingy.2330/ is my own quick-start guide. It's everything I wish someone'd told me when I first started out, because I was clueless and scared out of my mind. Which basically goes for almost all of us here. I hope it'll give you a bit of hope to hold on to. (It's a lot of information in a short little bit, because there's a wealth of information online, here at diabetes.co.uk, dietdoctor.com and in books like The Diabetes Code, but the main thing about the info, that needs to sink in first, is ALL IS NOT LOST, which is what it comes down to. After that you can hit the books/net in earnest. ;) ).

You'll be okay. The talk could be to prevent the prediabetes progressing, it could be a T2 talk, could be anything.... But you will be fine. Honest.

Jo

Reactions: Flora123

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Lowering intake of carbs tends not only to get rid of diabetes but improves general health, lowers blood pressure, waist size, increases energy and activity levels without much effort - so its all to the good.