Help Please!!

insomnia56

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Hi All,
I am a Type 2 diabetic, nearly 65 years old.I was diagnosed about 17 years ago and went through the usual progression of diet and exercise only, to oral medications to now being on GLP1(Trulicity)weekly injections.
While I kept it more or less under control, during lockdown I just gave up trying and now my low kidney function and high blood sugar means the medics want me to go onto insulin. I just really don't fancy it. I get the feeling it pretty much takes over your life.
Are there any Type2 insulin users out there that can give me their views on taking insulin/how it affects your life/pros and cons etc. Anything really to help me make up my mind about taking it.
Thank you for your help!

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I do not have type 2 but I do take insulin and have been doing so for over 15 years without it ever taking over my life.
It has not stopped me driving, travelling, exercising, partying ... living

Reactions: insomnia56

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Can you let us know what your weight/BMI is? If you have excess weight, insulin may not be of much use. If you have high insulin resistance you will already have too much insulin in your blood; a C-Peptide test would help show how much you have. If you need insulin you need it - end of. Yes, it does take over your life to some extent but it works (assuming insulin resistance is low). You get into a routine and after a while it just forms part of the day.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All,
I am a Type 2 diabetic, nearly 65 years old.I was diagnosed about 17 years ago and went through the usual progression of diet and exercise only, to oral medications to now being on GLP1(Trulicity)weekly injections.
While I kept it more or less under control, during lockdown I just gave up trying and now my low kidney function and high blood sugar means the medics want me to go onto insulin. I just really don't fancy it. I get the feeling it pretty much takes over your life.
Are there any Type2 insulin users out there that can give me their views on taking insulin/how it affects your life/pros and cons etc. Anything really to help me make up my mind about taking it.
Thank you for your help!
Diabell is right, you should find out how your own insulin production's doing... Who knows, if you still make oodles of the stuff and you're insensitive to it, a dietary approach might be back on the table after all. Because if it's down to insulin resistance, that's not going to go away if more is thrown at it. Otherwise, then yeah... Not a whole lot of options if your production's low.

Back when you were diet-controlled, what did that look like day-to-day, mealwise? I don't know whether 17 years ago, low carb was a thing, hence the question.

insomnia56

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Thank you all for your replies. I have decided to at least give it a go and see what happens.