Help with results

Ziggyuk

Hi guys hope you can advise.

A couple of years ago I went to Lloyds Pharmacy for a check as both my parents are Type 2, I think I had a reading of about 7.9 and was told to get checked properly by my doctor, I did this and after further checks he said I had nothing to worry about, my readings (sorry can't remember what they were) were a little high (upper end of normal) but not what he considered pre diabetic.

Thursday afternoon I did a random check about an hour or more after food and got 11.1
Friday I did the same and got 10.5
Today I decided to do a fasting test before eating and got just 5.8

The post food reading are very high yet my morning reading shows a normal reading.

Just hoping for some expert thoughts on those reading.
Many thanks.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Regardless of being told you have nothing to worry about, I'd be looking further into it and I would most certainly ignore the you have nothing to worry about comment. As already mentioned get your hba1c and keep a log of your levels and what you have roughly for meals. Getting a c-peptide level done would be great,but your gp will most likely not want to do that. Still, get the hba1c level checked. The possibility of diabetes is not something to be treated lightly as you know. Good luck!

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

A couple of years ago I went to Lloyds Pharmacy for a check as both my parents are Type 2, I think I had a reading of about 7.9 and was told to get checked properly by my doctor, I did this and after further checks he said I had nothing to worry about, my readings (sorry can't remember what they were) were a little high (upper end of normal) but not what he considered pre diabetic.

Thursday afternoon I did a random check about an hour or more after food and got 11.1

The post food reading are very high yet my morning reading shows a normal reading.

Many thanks.
If the HbA1c was done a few years ago and was the upper end of normal then, and T2 runs in the family, go to the GP again and have another HbA1c done. Thing may have change in the interim. Or not. Whatever you do, make sure you get the numbers from this time and last time. They'll be good to compare where you were, where you're at, and where you're headed. (Or want to aim for).

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

You might find this article by Jenny Ruhl helpful for evaluating and A1c bg readings:
https://www.bloodsugar101.com/what-is-a-normal-blood-sugar
She refers to a common mismatch between fasting and after-eating bgs:
"The fasting glucose test often misses diabetes in the many people whose fasting blood sugars stay normal long after their post-meal blood sugars are rising into the range over 200 mg/dl (11.1 mmol/L)"

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
my readings (sorry can't remember what they were) were a little high (upper end of normal) but not what he considered pre diabetic.
In the UK the upper end of normal is 41mmol/L, whereas in the US it is 38.8mmol/L.

Ziggyuk

Thank you all, I have been asked to go to my surgery to check my blood pressure and bloods, part of regular screening, when I book the appointment I will get them to check again.
I was just wondering why my fasting results appear normal but my post meal ones are so high, the doctor normally asked for a fasting test so he will never see those post meal highs in double figures.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was just wondering why my fasting results appear normal but my post meal ones are so high, the doctor normally asked for a fasting test so he will never see those post meal highs in double figures.

That’s why an HbA1c test is the best to assess your overall glucose levels over the passed 3 months.

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
The post food reading are very high yet my morning reading shows a normal reading

It seems pretty obvious to me that your diet has more carbs than you can cope with. It's only after hours of fasting through the night that your system manages to get your glucose levels down.
Oops sorry forgot to say welcome to the forum.

Ziggyuk

Thank you, I will certainly be getting tested again and will get a record of my last results.

Just for clarity, those results in double figures were after lunch of a tuna sandwich, I don't eat anything before 1PM and normally have a sandwich for lunch about 1PM then nothing until 7PM for dinner.

It is true I don't avoid carbs but I have quite a healthy diet with a good mix of food groups and little to no processed food.

My mum although T2 actually came off her meds due to her zero carb diet so I do know the importance and what it did for her.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It is true I don't avoid carbs but I have quite a healthy diet with a good mix of food groups and little to no processed food.
For many years I ate an obsessively healthy Mediterranean-style diet, until a nurse at my GP practice alerted me to a series of A1cs showing I was galloping towards diabetes. (It had never occurred to my GP that this was worthy of a mention. She sent me to the nurse hoping she would persuade me to take statins to lower my LDL cholesterol.) So I started with the advantage of knowing that a "clean" and healthy diet would not help my bg.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Many thanks.

Hi @Ziggyuk ,

Welcome to the forum.

Random checks on a home BG test meter are not always conclusive regarding an issue.
Home meters can also read upto 15% higher than the calibrated NHS standard issue. (Which is the allowed "tolerance" regarding a home test kit?)

Testing more regularly & logging the results with a food diary, may build some sort of profile on how your BG is trending.

Hope this helps?