Help

sandycarter

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
am a type 1 diabetic that's 12 years old I have had diabetes for about 6 or 7 years. I was playing outside with my friends and then I had a hypo and I couldn't speak I could only say the letter i and it was difficult for me to speak. I went home and sorted out the hypo, then I sent back outside and it was really sunny and it hadn't been sunny for a long time and I had the worst sore head ever and I had a really bad hypo and had to get a lift home and sort it out and I was in pain and was hypo then lator that day I spewed up 4 times. Was this because I drank to much sugar at once or was it the heat or my hypos?

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @sandycarter :)

Hypos can give you a really nasty headache, especially if it's a bad one, and for some people heat can cause their blood sugar to go lower than usual.

I'm not sure why you vomited. There was a thread here recently where someone said they had been sick after a hypo. If it was me, I'd just watch to make sure it wasn't the start of an illness. I'd also do extra blood tests too.

I hope you're feeling better now :)

Reactions: 2 people

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @sandycarter that didn't sound very nice at all, hope you're ok now ?

Yes as @azure has said the heat can cause you to burn up glucose faster, so testing is really important, also hypos can cause the headache, I get them too, best to just sit it out with some fluids and take it easy.

It's all a learning curve and testing is so important so you know what's going on, do you carry glucose on you at all times, also do you have a good mate who can recognise the signs of a hypo with you ? Having a good trustworthy friend is a good thing to have, someone to watch your back if you can't communicate properly :)

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
@Juicyj I always have hypo stuff with me and my friends can recognise if I'm having a hypo and thanks for the advice. :)

Ok, glad to hear it, sorry if it sounded a bit mumsy, I was a little concerned when you said you had to go home to sort it so just wanted to check, also great your friends can recognise it, great to have good friends about, they are worth their weight in gold ;)

1abRat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Bad hypos make me want to puke too.....stupid body....doesn't it know it needs the flippin' carbs?!