Help

jacko3469

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I had a check up 3 months ago my hba1c was 68, the doctor tried me on gliclozide but I was very unwell on it, so he took me off it and tried my on dapaflozin in which once again I was very unwell. I have just had my blood done again and my hba1c was 59, I said that my sugars are still between 13-17 most of the time, I eat healthy with my training please advise as I don't want to get any complications, my doctor said I will be fine see you in 6 months ?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just to check.. at the moment you are not taking any meds for diabetes or anything else?
And could you let us know what you eat most of the time.
A lot of us have found that "healthy" eating doesn't help with Type 2 and adopt a Low Carb way of eating with a higher than usual fat intake to fill us up.
If you have an HbA1c of 59 then I'm not sure how your doctor expects you to be "fine" in 6 months time..

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Let us know what you mean by healthy eating. Note that Gliclazide wouldn't normally be prescribed for a typical T2; Metformin is the normal first drug of choice. There is a hint here that your Doc may not be an expert in diabetes but I may not have the full story. Go for the low-carb diet and if necessary suggest Metformin to the GP and the Slow Release (SR) version if you are subject to stomach/bowel problems.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I think the OP mentioned Metformin in a previous post.

Can you confirm your current meds @jacko3469 ?

Can you also give us an idea of a normal day's food for,you?

jacko3469

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I'm on metformin and linagliptin. My average day is porridge for breakfast, salad for lunch and some sort of meat with either pasta or once a week chips. My nurse said my eating is ok .Just worried as away at weekend

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm on metformin and linagliptin. My average day is porridge for breakfast, salad for lunch and some sort of meat with either pasta or once a week chips. My nurse said my eating is ok .Just worried as away at weekend

Some Type 2s here find controlling their carb intake helps.

Do you test before and after meals? That's a good idea as it will show you what foods are sending you high. You can then avoid them or eat them in smaller portions as needed.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I had a dreadful few weeks trying to take Metformin and live a normal life - so I gave up the Metformin and ate low carb - all seems well now.
Low carb for me is no grains, no potatoes, nothing starchy - I try to eat foods with less than 11 percent carbs - so your lunches might be OK for me, but the rest of what you are eating would push my BG levels into the teens.
Did the nurse not advise that you be cautious about the amount of porridge, pasta and potatoes you eat? They are all high carb and cause high blood glucose readings.
I checked meals - taking readings before and 2 hours after, and modified what I ate according to my readings - I want to be under 8.5 after eating.

jacko3469

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Yes we spoke in detail about porridge. It does not matter what i eat my levels can go somewhere between 13-19 2hrs after meals

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes we spoke in detail about porridge. It does not matter what i eat my levels can go somewhere between 13-19 2hrs after meals

That is high. Can I ask your BMI?

Is it possible you might be a slow onset Type 1?

jacko3469

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I dont know my bmi but i do a lot of training in the gym and on squash courts as i play racketball all over the country