Help!

Beetlebum

Hi I have been told by GP this evening by telephone I have type 2 diabetes. It came as no surprise as I have not felt well for long time , and have been tested for it numerous time over last 30 years. Both parents and grandparent also diabetic.
He has inform me I need to start metformin on Monday, change diet and lifestyle. I’m not the healthiest I worked for last 25 In nhs doing lots of nights so was tired all the time. I have changed jobs now so no more nights
Would really appreciate any help getting my head around this spent my whole life looking after others now I need to invest in sometime for me feeling very low right now

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi I have been told by GP this evening by telephone I have type 2 diabetes. It came as no surprise as I have not felt well for long time , and have been tested for it numerous time over last 30 years. Both parents and grandparent also diabetic.
He has inform me I need to start metformin on Monday, change diet and lifestyle. I’m not the healthiest I worked for last 25 In nhs doing lots of nights so was tired all the time. I have changed jobs now so no more nights
Would really appreciate any help getting my head around this spent my whole life looking after others now I need to invest in sometime for me feeling very low right now
You've come to the right place. I know, getting diagnosed, even if you know the odds are against you, is still quite the kick in the head... But you'll start feeling better soon, that much I can promise you! I would recommend asking the GP for a few month's grace, when it comes to metformin... You should be able to get your blood sugars back under control just with a diet change. Not everyone gets side effects mind you, but if medication can be avoided altogether, I think you'll feel better quicker... (Gastro-intestinal issues are NOT fun when you're already feeling ill). https://josekalsbeek.blogspot.com/2019/11/the-nutritional-thingy.html <-- have a read, this is my own quick-start guide with everything I wish someone'd told me when I was first diagnosed. Would've saved me months of being really depressed, feeling powerless and crying a lot. I can also wholeheartedly endorse Dr. Jason Fung's The Diabetes Code, (or his free youtube video's), dietdoctor.com and this place's website, diabetes.co.uk. You'll find quite a lot of invaluable information in those places. Any questions, throw them out there. You don't have to do this alone.

I'm glad you're not working shifts anymore, that's really going to help you gain control faster and better too.

You'll be okay. And feeling better in no time at all! (I'll eat a pound of sugar if I'm wrong!)
Hugs,
Jo

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome,

I can't say it better than @JoKalsbeek. The link she provided is really helpful.

You will be okay. Invest in a meter and test regularly. Read around the site- there are a lot of people here who have been where you are now and who are very generous with sharing their experience and expertise.

Good luck, welcome and keep reading and posting.

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome. I was diagnosed in December and I recognise this history and these feelings. For me a low-low carb keto diet has had a huge immediate impact. Weight falling off and BG down to around 5ish on average, but as yet unconfirmed by HbA1c. Lethargy gone, painful tingling almost gone, night sweats gone, oedema gone. If I can do it anyone can - I liked my beer and chips..... Lots of good advice on this forum and best of luck.