Hi All

mrscoppack

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people, injustice, Bad manners
Hi, I have been type 1 for about 4 years and can never get my bloods right, i struggle with what to eat for the best results, i have now been tested positive for ceoliac, i went for biopsy today and fasted since 10 p.m to 7.30 a.m and my bloods were 11.7 it still confuses me. Can anyone give me some positive advise.

slunnon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I've also been Type 1 for 4 years.

You are not alone! It's impossible to have perfect bloods 24/7, when things like the weather, temperature, hormones, stress levels, amount of food you eat etc all affect your numbers.

To help me in the beginning, I started out by writing down all of my blood sugar readings and food entries in a diary, and if I saw a pattern of high blood sugars, I would assess what foods caused these and adjust my insulin dosage accordingly. However, as I was a teenager at the time I grew tired of this very quickly!!

I'm now trying the Keto diet, which is high fat, low carb. I've been on it for almost a week now. I haven't been hungry at all, and even bitter things like dark chocolate taste super sweet to me. The less carbs you eat, the less insulin you need, and the easier it is to control.

It did take a few days to tweak my background insulin to get it to the right level (I was on 20 units of levemir and now I only need 15).

My sugars have improved drastically and I no longer have major highs or lows, they just seem to stay around 5-6 m/mols.

If you are unsure I'd check with your health team, but I'd recommend keto (otherwise known as Low Carb High Fat, LCHF) 100%! Hope this helps