Hi All

Paul1067

Diagnosed type 2 in early march.
Doctor prescribed matmorphin which definitely do not agree with me. Changed to a slow release version. Also glikazide. I had a heart attack 3 years ago and am on a variety of other meds. But...I've spit my dummy out and stopped all meds an feel great! Does anyone have any tips how to stsy feeling great and foods to help?
I drive 1000miles a week and coming off meds has helped my concentration and tiredness levels. I may be fooling myself but i honestly do feel better.
Cheers. Paul

Reactions: Prem51

Kittycat_7_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,
Welcome to the forum
It is best to check with a dr before coming of medications, glad your feeling better.
The diabetes was probably causing the tiredness, now your levels are better you are feeling that effect.
Good luck

M

Member496333

Hi Paul. Welcome along!

It’s great that you’re feeling better but please keep in mind that communities such as this, by their nature, are full of personal experiences and opinions regarding medication, but this doesn’t necessarily mean that any of us know what we’re talking about. I’m hoping that you have quit your medications in full collaboration with your doctor, rather than made a knee-jerk reaction based on views that you may read on these boards.

Last edited by a moderator:

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Welcome.

Are you checking your levels? I’m assuming as you had glicazide you have testing equipment. If you just ditched everything all in one go without medical discussions I’d be vigilant with checking at the very least. It’s possible they have dropped so you feel better, or it could have been side effects making you feel rubbish. Either way they might well rise again without them so watch carefully.

Were statins one of the meds you along with dropped with your diabetic meds?

How do you plan to manage your diabetes now? Because you do need to do something.

Reactions: 1spuds and Prem51

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Stopped ALL meds? Certainly not what I'd do.

aealexandrou

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Exercise
Doctor prescribed matmorphin which definitely do not agree with me. Changed to a slow release version. Also glikazide. I had a heart attack 3 years ago and am on a variety of other meds. But...I've spit my dummy out and stopped all meds an feel great! Does anyone have any tips how to stsy feeling great and foods to help?
I drive 1000miles a week and coming off meds has helped my concentration and tiredness levels. I may be fooling myself but i honestly do feel better.
Cheers. Paul
You were prescribed meds because you had T2D and an obvious heart issue. There is no benefit to coming off the meds unless you have or had actively engaged in addressing those issues by important lifestyle changes. Are you on a low carb high fat diet? Are you intermittent fasting? If not why not? If you are still on the same carb diet that caused your issues you need to get back to your doctor quickly.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Cheers. Paul
Hi Paul,

There's a difference between carefully re-evaluating your medication and just chucking it out altogether. My mom was on a lot of different drugs, and she didn't quite know what everything was for. Turned out a few were to counter side-effects of a drug she didn't actually need anymore, and hadn't for years. That's the kind of thing you find out when you make an appointment with your pharmacy, and you carefully go over the entire load you're on. Could be some stuff you're on may make you a little less clear headed, and you do need it, so.... You can look for alternative with less side-effects. Just an idea. I know I dropped my meds (Gliclazide, Metformin and Simvastatin) in agreement with my doc, when blood tests showed my bloodsugars and cholesterol were perfectly fine on the low carb, high fat diet. I had to make a permanent lifestyle change not to need those drugs anymore though. If I hadn't, they'd be the things keeping me alive, and my quality of life worth it.

Don't chuck everything if you're not making any dietary changes. Get tested regularly to mark any progress or trouble rising. Make sure your medical team knows what you're up to, and why you're taking these measures. I hate taking more pills than I absolutely have to myself, so I know where you're coming from. I mean, I just had to take meds I was told would only need 3 months and ended up on them for half a year, and they gave my migraines every single day, plus 10 additional kilo's I really didn't want to add after some magnificent weight loss. Not to mention joint pain, eyesight getting worse, what have you. Sometimes we have to do stuff we don't like, to get back to good though. And you don't want to keel over either, just want to regain quality of life, right? So... Make informed descisions, and go from there.

Good luck!
Jo

Paul1067

Hi Paul,

There's a difference between carefully re-evaluating your medication and just chucking it out altogether. My mom was on a lot of different drugs, and she didn't quite know what everything was for. Turned out a few were to counter side-effects of a drug she didn't actually need anymore, and hadn't for years. That's the kind of thing you find out when you make an appointment with your pharmacy, and you carefully go over the entire load you're on. Could be some stuff you're on may make you a little less clear headed, and you do need it, so.... You can look for alternative with less side-effects. Just an idea. I know I dropped my meds (Gliclazide, Metformin and Simvastatin) in agreement with my doc, when blood tests showed my bloodsugars and cholesterol were perfectly fine on the low carb, high fat diet. I had to make a permanent lifestyle change not to need those drugs anymore though. If I hadn't, they'd be the things keeping me alive, and my quality of life worth it.

Don't chuck everything if you're not making any dietary changes. Get tested regularly to mark any progress or trouble rising. Make sure your medical team knows what you're up to, and why you're taking these measures. I hate taking more pills than I absolutely have to myself, so I know where you're coming from. I mean, I just had to take meds I was told would only need 3 months and ended up on them for half a year, and they gave my migraines every single day, plus 10 additional kilo's I really didn't want to add after some magnificent weight loss. Not to mention joint pain, eyesight getting worse, what have you. Sometimes we have to do stuff we don't like, to get back to good though. And you don't want to keel over either, just want to regain quality of life, right? So... Make informed descisions, and go from there.

Good luck!
Jo
Ok thanks everyone. I'm going to go back on everything and make an appointment with my doctor to see what.if any i can come off slowly.

Thank you

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Paul
Since you drivefor a living you need to be extra careful with managing your routines. If you decide to give up sugar and starches (bread, potatoes, rice and pasta, anything flour or grain based like cereals you will be able to reduce BG and get better concentration. HOWEVER you must have that discussion with your doctor first.
If afterwards you need help with food suggestions come right back here. All best wishes.

Paul1067

Hi Paul
Since you drivefor a living you need to be extra careful with managing your routines. If you decide to give up sugar and starches (bread, potatoes, rice and pasta, anything flour or grain based like cereals you will be able to reduce BG and get better concentration. HOWEVER you must have that discussion with your doctor first.
If afterwards you need help with food suggestions come right back here. All best wishes.
Hi, im really stuck with the food things. Didn't get much information from the doctors. So ive cut out all sugars , sweet stuff , fatty foods, but strangely still eating wholemeal bread. I think i needa whole new diet. As i stated I'm out on the road ish every day and especially in winter I'd like hot food for dinner. I can't believe how hard it is. I haven't lost any weight at all. I'm 100 kilos. But i suppose the bread is the cause.

Thanks. Paul

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
When you're on the road, use a wide mouth thermos for hot soups or stews. Make a pan of low carb stew and refrigerate.

M

Member496333

Yeah bread is just cake without the sprinkles on top. I once couldn’t ever imagine giving it up, but now it seems foreign to me and couldn’t imagine eating it. In attempting to smash T2, you could do a lot worse than giving up bread. It’s a highly processed ‘food’ and is absolutely loaded with glucose.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Eat the fat! Seriously. Low fat food is full of sugar and chemicals. Cutting the carbs means you need energy from somewhere else and fat is the answer.

Take good note of the final paragraph below please

Can I suggest you take a good look at low carb high fat methods of eating (keto is just a version of this). It helps many of us lose significant amounts of weight, if desired, keep our numbers down and for some even eliminate medications and achieve remission and reduce or improve complications. Try clicking these links for more detailed explanations that are well worth readings

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blog/jokalsbeek.401801/ for info including low carb made simple

And https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/category/success-stories-and-testimonials.43/ to show it really works and for motivation

and https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/what-have-you-eaten-today.75781/ for food ideas

also https://www.dietdoctor.com/ for more food ideas and general info of carb content of foods. Lots of other websites for recipes out there too. Just use the term low carb or keto with whatever you fancy.

Also it’s very important to be able to check for yourself what’s happening so you can make the necessary adjustments day to day and meal by meal rather than wait 3, 6 or even 12 months and then have no idea what had what effect. Getting a blood glucose meter is the only way to do this (no matter what contradictory advice you may have heard - it’s usually budget based rather than anything more scientific). Please ask if you want any guidance on this.

IMPORTANT FOR ANYONE ON MEDS CONSIDERING LOWERING CARBS: if you lower your carbs then any glucose lowering meds may need to be adjusted accordingly to make sure you aren’t taking more than your new diet requires. It can cause a hypo if you have more gliclazide or insulin etc (this is not relevant for metformin on its own) than your new carb intake requires. Keep a close eye on your numbers and do this with your dr’s knowledge. Please don’t be put off by an ill informed out dated rubbishing of low carb diets or

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Cheers. Paul

welcome here Paul :)

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, im really stuck with the food things. Didn't get much information from the doctors. So ive cut out all sugars , sweet stuff , fatty foods, but strangely still eating wholemeal bread. I think i needa whole new diet. As i stated I'm out on the road ish every day and especially in winter I'd like hot food for dinner. I can't believe how hard it is. I haven't lost any weight at all. I'm 100 kilos. But i suppose the bread is the cause.

Thanks. Paul
Hey again Paul,

Good news: Fat's back on the menu. I just had some eggs with bacon, cheese and salami. My cholesterol is fine, my bloodsugars too. The problem for T2's really is the carbs. So bread, pasta, spuds, underground veggies, fruit, rice... That still leaves a whole lot of other stuff. Like eggs, cheese, butter, clotted cream, meat, fish, above-ground veggies, berries (any kind basically, as they're the lowest-carb fruits available, besides starfruit), nuts, mayo, olives, extra dark chocolate (85% and up).... If you miss rice, try replacing with cauliflower rice, it's remarcably versatile. For me, I mostly stick with salads (with tuna, capers, olives and mayo, sometimes as a treat some asparagus thrown in, or pickles), eggs (Boiled, scrambled, sunny side up, omelettes, with good stuff added.... So that could be cinnamon, erythritol sweetener, and a couple of berries and grated coconut, with a tiny little drizzle of heavy cream. Or make it into a sort of pizza with the toppings, or just plain scrambled with bacon, cherry tomatoes, mushrooms, cheese...?). And then of course in the evening veggies with, again, bacon and/or cheese to make it more filling, and meat or fish. These things will get your bloodsugars down. BUT, and this is a really, really big but, don't do this if you don't have a meter and continue with the gliclazide. Glic can make you hypo, and if you go low carb it WILL make you crash and burn. No maybe's. And especially since you're driving, that's not something you want to have happening. Don't just experiment if it could get yourself, a passenger or people on the street killed.

Just some stuff to mull over. Remember, white or brown carbs, wholeweat or processed, it doesn't really mater all that much: every carb has to be processed sooner or later, so whatever the colour, they're generally not good. I picked diet over gliclazide, and I never looked back. But that's not for everyone. My best friend swears he can't live without bread and rice and spuds, and keeps telling me he doesn't know how I do it. I shut him up with "I'd rather keep my feet". T2 runs in his family and I do believe it is only a matter of time before he'll have to pick a side, judging by his ever growing gut and man-boobs, indicating he's becoming insulin resistant. Will it be The Dark, Carby side, or the Low Carb Jedi's? I have a feeling he'll fall to the dark side, honestly. He loves food more than his health, and that's his choice. Like I said, it's not for everyone. Pills are a valid option. But when it comes to staving off progression and complications, diet seems more effective in the long run. You don't have to decide anything overnight. just read, learn, and see what works for you.

Good luck,
Jo

Paul1067

Hey again Paul,

Good news: Fat's back on the menu. I just had some eggs with bacon, cheese and salami. My cholesterol is fine, my bloodsugars too. The problem for T2's really is the carbs. So bread, pasta, spuds, underground veggies, fruit, rice... That still leaves a whole lot of other stuff. Like eggs, cheese, butter, clotted cream, meat, fish, above-ground veggies, berries (any kind basically, as they're the lowest-carb fruits available, besides starfruit), nuts, mayo, olives, extra dark chocolate (85% and up).... If you miss rice, try replacing with cauliflower rice, it's remarcably versatile. For me, I mostly stick with salads (with tuna, capers, olives and mayo, sometimes as a treat some asparagus thrown in, or pickles), eggs (Boiled, scrambled, sunny side up, omelettes, with good stuff added.... So that could be cinnamon, erythritol sweetener, and a couple of berries and grated coconut, with a tiny little drizzle of heavy cream. Or make it into a sort of pizza with the toppings, or just plain scrambled with bacon, cherry tomatoes, mushrooms, cheese...?). And then of course in the evening veggies with, again, bacon and/or cheese to make it more filling, and meat or fish. These things will get your bloodsugars down. BUT, and this is a really, really big but, don't do this if you don't have a meter and continue with the gliclazide. Glic can make you hypo, and if you go low carb it WILL make you crash and burn. No maybe's. And especially since you're driving, that's not something you want to have happening. Don't just experiment if it could get yourself, a passenger or people on the street killed.

Just some stuff to mull over. Remember, white or brown carbs, wholeweat or processed, it doesn't really mater all that much: every carb has to be processed sooner or later, so whatever the colour, they're generally not good. I picked diet over gliclazide, and I never looked back. But that's not for everyone. My best friend swears he can't live without bread and rice and spuds, and keeps telling me he doesn't know how I do it. I shut him up with "I'd rather keep my feet". T2 runs in his family and I do believe it is only a matter of time before he'll have to pick a side, judging by his ever growing gut and man-boobs, indicating he's becoming insulin resistant. Will it be The Dark, Carby side, or the Low Carb Jedi's? I have a feeling he'll fall to the dark side, honestly. He loves food more than his health, and that's his choice. Like I said, it's not for everyone. Pills are a valid option. But when it comes to staving off progression and complications, diet seems more effective in the long run. You don't have to decide anything overnight. just read, learn, and see what works for you.

Good luck,
Jo
Im reading and Learning lots more than from my doctor. Its fascinating but terrifying.

Cheers

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was on Metformin and Atorvastatin and felt close to suicidal - it was just before Christmas and I could not do anything much - so I binned the tablets. I was feeling so ill I did not care if I lived or died, but fortunately I had been eating low carb since diagnosis - I was in normal numbers for blood glucose very quickly as the thought of going back on the tablets was more than enough to keep me on the straight and narrow.
Just avoid carbohydrate, that is starches and sugars, particularly from dense sources such as grain, starchy vegetables sugary fruits, and go for salad stuff and low carb veges, small servings of berries with cream - coffee with cream too - and you should - with any luck, soon get your metabolism rubber side down and rolling again.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Im reading and Learning lots more than from my doctor. Its fascinating but terrifying.

Cheers
It is both, indeed... But you'll get the hang of it, and make your choices accordingly. Honestly, T2 is the least of my worries. It's the one condition I have a say in. The rheumatism, migraines and hypothyroid are a little tougher to crack. I never thought T2'd end up being the "easy" one. ;) You'll learn. Give yourself time. ;)

Paul1067

It is both, indeed... But you'll get the hang of it, and make your choices accordingly. Honestly, T2 is the least of my worries. It's the one condition I have a say in. The rheumatism, migraines and hypothyroid are a little tougher to crack. I never thought T2'd end up being the "easy" one. ;) You'll learn. Give yourself time. ;)
My mum has rheumatoid arthritis. Its a cruel thing. Good luck

Paul1067

Hi all

Bit of an update. Im back on allll my meds. Eating quite healthy. Been trying the low carb diet for 3 weeks. My bloods are between 6 and 8 most days. But was 5.3 this morning. I was on standby last night and got a call at 2.30 am. I realised after i had answered the phone that i was sweating more than ever before in my life. I was also very dizzy. The call turned out to be a false alarm so i went back to sleep. Have i had a hypo? What are the rules on driving after such an episode. It scared me as it was really strange.

Cheers. Paul