Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ho de Ho.

& welcome to the forum.

Tell us a little more. What's been happening?

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cauliflower pretending to be rice and any vegetable pretending to be pasta
Hi and Welcome @Rod Quilter

Tell us about your journey so far?

TooSweetForMe

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello and welcome. Interested to hear how you came to be on this journey with the rest of us.

Rod Quilter

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Chocolate
Hello all new sufferer arriving

Recently diagnosed with t2 diabetes, now started metformin prior to that had no symptoms or inclination of anything near diabetes.
Used to work shifts then stressful 9-5 would drink a small bottle of lucozade sport nearly every day which i assume is the cause of it all.
Now retired lost 2 stone+ over last few months have to wait and see what the diabetic nurse has to guide me later today, using needle prick test twice a day reading between 18-22.

Thanks all for welcome

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Recently diagnosed with t2 diabetes, now started metformin prior to that had no symptoms or inclination of anything near diabetes.
Used to work shifts then stressful 9-5 would drink a small bottle of lucozade sport nearly every day which i assume is the cause of it all.
Now retired lost 2 stone+ over last few months have to wait and see what the diabetic nurse has to guide me later today, using needle prick test twice a day reading between 18-22.

Thanks all for welcome

Hi Rod,

How did you get on with the diabetic nurse..?

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome to the forum.

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Now got to start glucozide as the metformin not working fast enough
Metformin on its own I expect wouldn’t bring levels of 18+ down to acceptable levels on its own, so can understand the nurse adding in something else. Those levels you need to get lower and if glic is a way to do this quicker then that’s one option

but there may be options to help longer term and potentially reverse the drugs. It doesn’t always work but quite a few have moved to no drug or maybe small doses of metformin. So, have you changed your diet at all? The weight loss may well help but knowing what you eat we may be able to give some advice.

do you know what hba1c level you had in your last?

welcome :)

Rod Quilter

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Chocolate
Metformin on its own I expect wouldn’t bring levels of 18+ down to acceptable levels on its own, so can understand the nurse adding in something else. Those levels you need to get lower and if glic is a way to do this quicker then that’s one option

but there may be options to help longer term and potentially reverse the drugs. It doesn’t always work but quite a few have moved to no drug or maybe small doses of metformin. So, have you changed your diet at all? The weight loss may well help but knowing what you eat we may be able to give some advice.

do you know what hba1c level you had in your last?

welcome :)

Hba1c was 145
Dont eat much 1 main per day usually about 5pm
Trying to find out exactly which drink i can have, diet ok not sure about suger free

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hba1c was 145
Dont eat much 1 main per day usually about 5pm
Trying to find out exactly which drink i can have, diet ok not sure about suger free
Am somewhat surprised at that hba1c they started on just metformin.

thing is, what the NHS and others describe as an okay diet may well not be the best for us T2s. Higher carbs can easily cause a real problem that keeps our levels high. That’s why we ask

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Those numbers are a bit high- nothing to panic about at this stage, but they look a bit high for one meal a day: are you taking in a lot of carbs, like from fruit or bread or drinks?

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m paging @Mbaker purely because I believe he started from the same, or at least very similar number.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Mine was a 134 at diagnosis, which meant barely functioning for me.

With what I have gathered now, to get on the right track. I would base all meals on chicken, sardines, eggs , bacon, greens, cucumbers, gherkins (Morrisons), lettuce, peppers and a little cheese; just a start for consistency and to get the sugar down, whilst figuring out more choices. For drinks water, sparling water (my goto), tea, black coffee.

There is a temptation to want to go for variety or can I have Weetabix, oats etc. I would keep it simple, and watch your numbers come down.

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome,

You wondered about drink- are you interested in non- alcohol or alcoholic. some options:

Alcoholic- stick to clear non sugary liquors- either by themselves or with non sugar mixers- eg vodka, white rum. tequila or gin with things like soda water, diet (no carb) tonic water, Diet Coke etc
non alcoholic- black tea, black coffee or add cream rather than milk, water (well obviously lol), Diet Coke our other soft drink, soda water etc.

As people have posted above carbs are the problem- however, taking glucozide you need to reduce your carb intake carefully while testing regularly.

Welcome.