Hi to everyone

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi everyone, my name is Mike.
I had pre-diabetes and atrial fibrillation a few years back.
Luckily I discovered intermittent fasting, and wondered if anyone here is doing this

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Lots of people here practice it. I usually skip breakfast and don't eat until after 1pm. Though some days, like today, I have a (late) breakfast that is near zero-carb, but high in healthy fats and packed with protein. (Long-winded way of saying I scooped out a can of tuna with a dollop of excellent Belgian mayo and a sprinkling of pepper, to hike my vitamin D up before a walk, haha!). My days don't follow a usual rhythm so what I do, and when I eat may vary. But five days out of seven, if not more? Just lunch and dinner, no brekkie.

And with me... Many, many others here. Some doing just whatever is convenient, like I do, others adhering strictly to 16:8, or 5:2, or.... All sorts, really. Whatever works for any given person or lifestyle. Most of the time though it is in combination with low carbing in some form or another, be it keto, carnivore, (medium) LCHF, Mediterranian, Scandinavian, some type of Paleo, etc etc...

How's your blood sugars and heart doing now? Everything running okay?
Anyway, welcome, and make yourself at home!
Jo

Outlier

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm one of the many here who eat once or twice a day. I eat to hunger - real hunger not emotional cravings or social pressure - and so usually eat a small lunch (typically homemade soup, small piece of cheese or a small plain Greek yoghurt) and main meal in the evening, though latterly I'm not hungry until the evening, so 24 hours' fasting betweentimes.

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Lots of people here practice it. I usually skip breakfast and don't eat until after 1pm. Though some days, like today, I have a (late) breakfast that is near zero-carb, but high in healthy fats and packed with protein. (Long-winded way of saying I scooped out a can of tuna with a dollop of excellent Belgian mayo and a sprinkling of pepper, to hike my vitamin D up before a walk, haha!). My days don't follow a usual rhythm so what I do, and when I eat may vary. But five days out of seven, if not more? Just lunch and dinner, no brekkie.

And with me... Many, many others here. Some doing just whatever is convenient, like I do, others adhering strictly to 16:8, or 5:2, or.... All sorts, really. Whatever works for any given person or lifestyle. Most of the time though it is in combination with low carbing in some form or another, be it keto, carnivore, (medium) LCHF, Mediterranian, Scandinavian, some type of Paleo, etc etc...

How's your blood sugars and heart doing now? Everything running okay?
Anyway, welcome, and make yourself at home!
Jo
Thanks for the welcome

I had an a number of cardioversions (resetting the hard with a defibrillator) and an op called an ablation (where they put a catheter into your leg through the main artery to your heart, and use a cold gas in a tiny balloon inserted in this catheter to freeze electrical areas of the heart that are playing up) which failed. My atrial fibrillation was terrible with a heart rate around 200 bpm unless I took a high- dose of beta blockers. A friend told me about intermittent fasting and low carb. I was very sceptical, but even after a couple of months my heart improved so I carried on. It is then that I bought a blood sugar monitor, and realised that my blood sugars were quite high, with quite high spikes at various times in the day straight after eating. So that's when I started the intermittent fasting. Another astounding fact is how I actually put on quite a bit of muscle even though I'm quite a slim build. This appears to be due to a growth hormone release when doing slightly longer fasts (18 to 22 hours). I've been fasting now for a couple of years and my cardiologist was amazed. It is undoubtedly the greatest thing I've ever discovered just when I thought my health in life was over. I now have a number of friends also fasting for 18 to 20 hours, with amazing results. A couple of my friends are very overweight, but they have also had great results.

I've just added in some photo bio modulation (Red light Therapy) which appears to be keeping my blood sugar levels even lower. I don't think I can post any links at the moment to studies because I'm new here.
Has anyone tried Red Light Therapy?

Last edited:

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for the welcome

I had an a number of cardioversions (resetting the hard with a defibrillator) and an op called an ablation (where they put a catheter into your leg through the main artery to your heart, and use a cold gas in a tiny balloon inserted in this catheter to freeze electrical areas of the heart that are playing up) which failed. My atrial fibrillation was terrible with a heart rate around 200 bpm unless I took a high- dose of beta blockers. A friend told me about intermittent fasting and low carb. I was very sceptical, but even after a couple of months my heart improved so I carried on. It is then that I bought a blood sugar monitor, and realised that my blood sugars were quite high, with quite high spikes at various times in the day straight after eating. So that's when I started the intermittent fasting. Another astounding fact is how I actually put on quite a bit of muscle even though I'm quite a slim build. This appears to be due to a growth hormone release when doing slightly longer fasts (18 to 22 hours). I've been fasting now for a couple of years and my cardiologist was amazed. It is undoubtedly the greatest thing I've ever discovered just when I thought my health in life was over. I now have a number of friends also fasting for 18 to 20 hours, with amazing results. A couple of my friends are very overweight, but they have also had great results.

I've just added in some photo bio modulation (Red light Therapy) which appears to be keeping my blood sugar levels even lower. I don't think I can post any links at the moment to studies because I'm new here.
Has anyone tried Red Light Therapy?
I've not read about it here, but I miss plenty (loads of posts per day), but if it's helping, it's usually of interest. When you've had enough messages/replies under your belt (I think five?), you could start a thread on it, folks might be interested.

As for the fasting and the low carb, for me it was the liver. "An abnormal stacking of fat", they called it. Well, first they called it cancer, but that turned out not to be the case, and rather than seeing a coffin from the inside within a few weeks time, that'd mean in a year or so. The doc spoke about palliative care as there was nothing he could do about non-alcoholic fatty liver disease, and I wasn't even in my 40's yet. No-one actually bothered to find out why my liver was in the state it was in, so Doctor Google helped me find some possible culprits, and as it turned out, I could check for the diabetes one myself, as we had an insulin-dependent cat with T3c. I think that first test gave me 18 mmol, the second half an hour later went into the 20's. So I accidentally diagnosed myself that afternoon. Slew of doctors still convinced I'd die before diabetes became an actual problem, and I wouldn't have the spine to stick with a diet anyhow. Weird, huh? Went low carb after metformin side effects and started IF, haven't really looked back since. I'm far from healthy, there's too much other stuff going on, but I get to be active, where at that point in time, I couldn't lift a fork, it was literally too heavy. Now I haul around camera gear and am able to walk a decent few kilometers with that girded about my waist. Pretty good for someone who was supposed to be a goner five years or so ago. ;)

So, yes, IF and low carb changed this life as well. And many others here'l tell you the same. I'm glad you have friends who got on the bandwagon too. It's hard sometimes when I hear about family members dealing with diabetic complications, but they refuse to give up a single spud. Laugh in my face when I gently suggest it. Ah well. To each their own.

Anyway, looking forward to learning more from you. :)
Jo