Hi

Roller

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Hi

I was diagnosed with T2 diabetes a few months back and Was told to change my eating habits. They also said that my colestrol was very high. I am due another set of checks tomorrow and am wondering what’s in store for me if my colestrol and blood sugar isn’t much improved.

Help.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Entirely your choice what comes next. They can only recommend. Whether you agree depends on how much you trust that advice. If they are still too high likely to be offered meds of some sort. Metformin is the first stop, maybe some others if it’s quite high. Statins are also likely to be offered. I’d seriously do some reading before making decisions there.

did they say what changes? Indeed what changes did you make?

did you fast last time? No matter what they say it does make a difference for cholesterol tests. 12hrs recommendation.

do you know the last lot of numbers? Full breakdown with units and ranges? If not get them.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi

I was diagnosed with T2 diabetes a few months back and Was told to change my eating habits. They also said that my colestrol was very high. I am due another set of checks tomorrow and am wondering what’s in store for me if my colestrol and blood sugar isn’t much improved.

Help.
It really does all depend on the changes you've made... The most important one for a T2 is to cut the carbs. No more spuds, bread, rice, pasta, cereal, fruit (save for berries), besides cutting out the obvious sugars. Up the fats, keep protein moderate, and usually, Bob's your uncle. If you didn't get that advice, and haven't done that, then most likely you will be offered metformin and a statin.... Statins, by the way, up blood glucose and can actually make a person a T2. There's more drawbacks than perks on those, unless you've already had a cardiac event. Read a lot, ask questions, and if you want, you can just ask for another month or so's respite, to see what you can do yourself now that you know a bit more. Also, https://josekalsbeek.blogspot.com/2019/11/the-nutritional-thingy.html is my own little quick-start guide... Maybe it'll explain some stuff. (Good things to read next: The Diabetes Code by Dr. Jason Fung, dietdoctor.com and diabetes.co.uk , NOT .org!).

Just remember this is about your health, your body... And your choice. You get a say.
Good luck,
Jo

Roller

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Well there were some diagrams on the wall showing teaspoons of sugar. So for rice they said is full of sugar - lots of teaspoon symbols. That’s just one of them. So I followed that I hope it works

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well there were some diagrams on the wall showing teaspoons of sugar. So for rice they said is full of sugar - lots of teaspoon symbols. That’s just one of them. So I followed that I hope it works
Hopeful they were supportive of low carb if they were Dr Unwins infographics. In which case did they give you similar advice to @JoKalsbeek ?

Roller

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Hopeful they were supportive of low carb if they were Dr Unwins infographics. In which case did they give you similar advice to @JoKalsbeek ?
Not really, the nurse said brown rice was okay which seemed to contradict what was on the sugary walls.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Doesn't matter the colour, no rice, no potatoes, no pasta, no bread.

Roller

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Okay thankyou. I will see tomorrow or whenever I get the results. Cross finger I have done enough.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Come back here with your results. If they try and give you drugs, ask for 3 months grace to try and improve using diet only.

Reactions: Roller

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh. Right. I see. So I wonder what kind of results I will get tomorrow..
No-one got their blood sugars under control with shoddy advice. A carb is a carb, be it a brown or a white one. And if the people who are supposed to be in the know, haven't a clue, how were you supposed to? You're catching on now, and you should indeed ask for a little respite before resorting to medication.

I was on metformin for a while, and when I didn't tolerate that, gliclazide, for a few months. So it's not like, if you start medication, you'll be on it forever, no matter what anyone tells you. Just so you know. You have options. The treatment is entirely up to you. You have a voice here.

Good luck eh.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Rice full of sugar? No - it is high in starch, which is something type two diabetics can't cope with, because starch and sugar in the diet end up in the blood stream.
If they can't even explain the problem there is little chance of them outlining the cure.

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Rice full of sugar? No - it is high in starch, which is something type two diabetics can't cope with, because starch and sugar in the diet end up in the blood stream.
If they can't even explain the problem there is little chance of them outlining the cure.
I think that the OP saw one of Dr Unwin's 'infographic' charts, which show table sugar equivalent of the starch content. Thus 150gm of Basmati Rice is roughly the equivalent of 10 teaspoons of table sugar etc.

Roller

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I think that the OP saw one of Dr Unwin's 'infographic' charts, which show table sugar equivalent of the starch content. Thus 150gm of Basmati Rice is roughly the equivalent of 10 teaspoons of table sugar etc.
That sounds like it. Yes.

Blood samples have been taken so I wait now for the results.

Roller

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Right. Thankyou for all the advice by the way.

I had a call from my sugary today and they have a result for a fasting plasma glucose test which they want to repeat. But no ABC H1. Is that good or bad? I think she said it was 6.2

Roller

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
These are the cholesterol results:

4801C11C-AE20-4D8F-835E-B17C5A5ECB5E.jpeg

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I was lucky as I already knew that low carb could get T2s into remission - with a better chance the sooner you start.
I managed to get my GP to agree to hold off on the drugs while I tried low carb, with the help of the lowcarbprogram - in some areas you can get this 'prescribed' so you don't need to pay.
I did not find the local dietitian helpful, she kept telling me to eat more carbs even though my blood glucose was already dropping into normal levels.

Beyond Dr Unwin's poster there is a lot of helpful information in here about the carb levels in food, suggestions for swaps and recipes.