Type 2 High blood sugar 25to28

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Then hopefully they will have access to your result. I'd also imagine the police would have made a note of it - you could check maybe?

Having high blood sugar would make you feel ill and probably make your vision blurry, but I would think most people would still be able to attempt a breath test.

There is a link to symptoms of high blood sugar on the previous page of this thread.

Did you try to do the test?

Reactions: 2 people

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Being charged for not providing a breath sample is a serious matter - fined, banned and doing time are all possible.

Having high blood sugar shouldn't stop you from doing the breath test, unless you were so high to need hospitalisation - considering a paramedic attended but you've not said if you were taken to hospital, I'll take that as a no then, the pessimist in me thinks - perhaps you were hyper because of the beer you consumed?

Sorry, but hopefully you can prove me wrong.

billmoira

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Being charged for not providing a breath sample is a serious matter - fined, banned and doing time are all possible.

Having high blood sugar shouldn't stop you from doing the breath test, unless you were so high to need hospitalisation - considering a paramedic attended but you've not said if you were taken to hospital, I'll take that as a no then, the pessimist in me thinks - perhaps you were hyper because of the beer you consumed?

Sorry, but hopefully you can prove me wrong.

billmoira

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks you have not been to 25 or. You would know what it's like to have a hyperaemia

billmoira

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@billmoira If you feel you've been fined unfairly, you can appeal. IF you're uncertain, then perhaps it would be best to consultant someone with legal expertise. Hopefully, they would be able to advise you about the likelihood of success and ask appropriate questions Eg did you try and fail to give a breath test? What did the police do then? Did the paramedics check for ketones? Did you have to go to hospital? Were more tests taken there? How was your driving?

Breathlessness is not a common symptom of hyperglycaemia but ketoacidosis can cause irregular breathing. However, I presume the paramedics checked for that?

While no one here can advise you about this legal issue, the advice above about seeking medical help for your high blood sugar is very sensible.

You haven't said whether you test at home nor what medication you're on. Your meds might need adjusting if you're going as high as this. Do see your GP as soon as you can (or seek more urgent medical help if you feel ill).

You could check out the Type 2 section of this forum for general advice and support. There are lots of helpful people here. But do speak to a doctor initially as you'll feel a lot better with blood sugars in range. For yoyr own peace of mind, a doctor coukd also give you a more general check to make sure all seems ok with your general health too, bearing in mind your experience above.

Best wishes

Azure

P.S
Information about hyperglycaemia (high blood sugar) here:

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/Diabetes-and-Hyperglycaemia.html

"What are the symptoms of hyperglycemia?
The main 3 symptoms of high blood sugar levels are increased urination, increased thirst and increased hunger.

High blood sugar levels can also contribute to the following symptoms:

No no one check for ketones all it will not come in to it thanks

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@billmoira Maybe a chat with your doctor or nurse would help get an idea of success in appealing?

You haven't said whether the police offered you another way of being tested eg blood test?

I understand you probably don't want to write down all the details here, so either some medical advice or some legal advice might be best. Then you could go over everything that happened and maybe get some help with appealing, if you choose to do so.

billmoira

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@billmoira Maybe a chat with your doctor or nurse would help get an idea of success in appealing?

You haven't said whether the police offered you another way of being tested eg blood test?

I understand you probably don't want to write down all the details here, so either some medical advice or some legal advice might be best. Then you could go over everything that happened and maybe get some help with appealing, if you choose to do so.
Thanks for your reply. The thing is i got legal advice but know one knows what i feel like when I get attack all i want to do is roll up in a bull and feel so weak i am not saying it's impossible but there is the metal side of it dehydration ot the Brian

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks for your reply. The thing is i got legal advice but know one knows what i feel like when I get attack all i want to do is roll up in a bull and feel so weak i am not saying it's impossible but there is the metal side of it dehydration ot the Brian

Then I think maybe you need to try to get a supporting medical letter or perhaps write a statement yourself describing that. Both would be good.

I don't know anything about how you would appeal, so I don't know if you have to pay or how difficult it is. But those would be important factors too to weigh up.

Aside from the legal side, if you get high blood sugar regularly then do get help with that. High blood sugar is unpleasant and can have short term and long term effects on your body. I wouldn't want my blood sugar to be that high because I know it's not a nice feeling. If you want support with that (general support, nothing to do with the driving matter), then do read around the forum and ask any questions you like :)

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
I do know somebody who had levels that high on regular occasions. With respect, I cannot see how that would render you unable to give a breath sample, considering it just means blowing into a machine. I'm not sure if you had imbibed any alcohol at all, as you haven't clarified that point?

billmoira

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I do know somebody who had levels that high on regular occasions. With respect, I cannot see how that would render you unable to give a breath sample, considering it just means blowing into a machine. I'm not sure if you had imbibed any alcohol at all, as you haven't clarified that point?
Not been drinking was in doors when police come have you been at 25 sweating and dehydrated and weak

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I've been almost comatosed at those levels and totally out of it so I empathise with you.

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not been drinking was in doors when police come have you been at 25 sweating and dehydrated and weak

I'm confused. You were asked to take a breath test regarding your driving when you were indoors?
To answer your question, I have looked after someone who regularly had very high levels, who was sweating, shaky, pale, and feeling rough. It still didn't render them incapable of blowing out.

Not sure what replies you are after but I think you've been given some very good advice in answer to your question. You seem to be looking for someone to agree that high levels mean you can't take the test? I'm don't think that is going to happen somehow, but you will get help on how to get your levels down.

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I'm confused. You were asked to take a breath test regarding your driving when you were indoors?
To answer your question, I have looked after someone who regularly had very high levels, who was sweating, shaky, pale, and feeling rough. It still didn't render them incapable of blowing out.

Not sure what replies you are after but I think you've been given some very good advice in answer to your question. You seem to be looking for someone to agree that high levels mean you can't take the test? I'm don't think that is going to happen somehow, but you will get help on how to get your levels down.
No, I stand corrected, Donnellys Dogs seems to have experienced this.

billmoira

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

B***s

Edited by a mod for language

Last edited by a moderator:

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I don't think they are affected somehow...

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
We are all effected differently by high/low blood sugars. High blood sugar can and does make people irritable to the point of belligerent. It sounds like that might be what you experienced?

I'm a bit confused about the circumstances of the refusal to give a sample? Essentially, if you are pulled over and refuse to give a sample (do the breath test) without a reasonable excuse that refusal is an offence. I think they are, rightly, rather strict with what counts as a reasonable excuse - I'm not sure being angry due to high blood sugar would cut it, I think it is usually something more towards physical incapability (& if that applies I'm wondering if you should have been driving anyway?). You might want to take legal advice on whether you have a reasonable excuse & grounds for appeal (personally, I'm very doubtful that you do), the first step in that would be to obtain copies of the paramedic records.

Obviously your high blood sugar levels are causing you problems - I hope you can get some support to get them under control.

Reactions: 4 people

billmoira

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
We are all effected differently by high/low blood sugars. High blood sugar can and does make people irritable to the point of belligerent. It sounds like that might be what you experienced?

I'm a bit confused about the circumstances of the refusal to give a sample? Essentially, if you are pulled over and refuse to give a sample (do the breath test) without a reasonable excuse that refusal is an offence. I think they are, rightly, rather strict with what counts as a reasonable excuse - I'm not sure being angry due to high blood sugar would cut it, I think it is usually something more towards physical incapability (& if that applies I'm wondering if you should have been driving anyway?). You might want to take legal advice on whether you have a reasonable excuse & grounds for appeal (personally, I'm very doubtful that you do), the first step in that would be to obtain copies of the paramedic records.

Obviously your high blood sugar levels are causing you problems - I hope you can get some support to get them under control.
Have you been up to 25

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Have you been up to 25

Yes I have and higher, but it's not a competition & I don't really see the relevance. As I said in the post you quoted we are all effected differently by high/low blood sugars. The way I experience 25 is probably really different from the way you do. Being higher certainly makes me more irritable (not to the point of police action mind).

Reactions: 2 people