Type 2 High blood sugar 25to28

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
When I have been almost comatosed (when my pump wasn't working and it occurred very quickly) I was weak to the point of just wanting to sleep.. However I could follow instructions and was able to blood test etc..
I empathise totally but I think I would have attempted a puff in a breathalyser had I been requested to do it..Even in the state I was in I still wanted to help myself and my hubby that was so concerned.. I empathise but do not totally understand why police did not ask to see you blood test or call medical assistance?? I do understand why they asked for a breath test if you had been driving. When I was involved in a driving incident years ago and a hypo the police were good with me...
I wasn't angry when I was hyper or hypo with my driving incident. All I could think about when almost comatosed was helping myself and my only incident of anger with the hypo incident was after trying to sort out the mess I had landed myself in.

Reactions: 3 people

billmoira

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
When I have been almost comatosed (when my pump wasn't working and it occurred very quickly) I was weak to the point of just wanting to sleep.. However I could follow instructions and was able to blood test etc..
I empathise totally but I think I would have attempted a puff in a breathalyser had I been requested to do it..Even in the state I was in I still wanted to help myself and my hubby that was so concerned.. I empathise but do not totally understand why police did not ask to see you blood test or call medical assistance?? I do understand why they asked for a breath test if you had been driving. When I was involved in a driving incident years ago and a hypo the police were good with me...
I wasn't angry when I was hyper or hypo with my driving incident. All I could think about when almost comatosed was helping myself and my only incident of anger with the hypo incident was after trying to sort out the mess I had landed myself in.
I was refused water and sitting in my home and not given my meds

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm confused - if you weren't driving and were inside your house, why were they asking you to do a breath test? Did you try to do the breath test? Had you been drinking?

High blood sugar does impact on our mood. When I have been out of it due to low blood sugar I'm pretty compliant and able to follow instructions, but I have heard of people refusing hypo treatments and becoming a bit punchy. But then I'm also very compliant when drunk, whereas some people get lairy when drunk. I think that's because it's in my personality to always chose the anything for an easy life option, while other people are naturally much better at standing up for themselves. From the tone of your posts, I'm guessing that you would fall into the higher end of the standing up for yourself category - I can see how that might have come out to the nth degree when hyper.

While that might make your refusal to do the breath test "not your fault" and take away the moral culpability I don't think it should excuse you from the offence of refusing to do a sample - because it would give licence for someone in a bad mood to refuse to do the test and, well, I like road safety.

It seems that most of the replies you are getting are that you should have tried to do the test & your hyper doesn't give you an excuse. You might want to consider getting legal advice on it and I certainly don't advocate making your decision on next steps based upon an Internet forum. However, I would take into account that we are likely to be your most sympathetic audience, so you might fare even worse trying to convince a non diabetic of your arguments.

Reactions: 2 people

billmoira

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm confused - if you weren't driving and were inside your house, why were they asking you to do a breath test? Did you try to do the breath test? Had you been drinking?

High blood sugar does impact on our mood. When I have been out of it due to low blood sugar I'm pretty compliant and able to follow instructions, but I have heard of people refusing hypo treatments and becoming a bit punchy. But then I'm also very compliant when drunk, whereas some people get lairy when drunk. I think that's because it's in my personality to always chose the anything for an easy life option, while other people are naturally much better at standing up for themselves. From the tone of your posts, I'm guessing that you would fall into the higher end of the standing up for yourself category - I can see how that might have come out to the nth degree when hyper.

While that might make your refusal to do the breath test "not your fault" and take away the moral culpability I don't think it should excuse you from the offence of refusing to do a sample - because it would give licence for someone in a bad mood to refuse to do the test and, well, I like road safety.

It seems that most of the replies you are getting are that you should have tried to do the test & your hyper doesn't give you an excuse. You might want to consider getting legal advice on it and I certainly don't advocate making your decision on next steps based upon an Internet forum. However, I would take into account that we are likely to be your most sympathetic audience, so you might fare even worse trying to convince a non diabetic of your arguments.
I ask for. People to tell. How they feel at25mml not to judge me

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
@billmoira You've had a large number of responses with people telling you that at 25, they do not feel unwell enough to not be able to blow into a tube. The general consensus of the responses is that while it is highly unpleasant, it is also not immobilising. If you are looking for a broader evidence base that having high blood glucose levels is incapacitating to use in some form of case, it doesn't look as though you're finding it here. Is there anything else we can do to help you?

Reactions: 6 people

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Sorry if you think I was judging you. I wasn't.

I could have just told you that when I was diagnosed at 32 I felt absolutely fine and completely normal, but I didn't think that would be a very useful response in your situation. So instead, what I did was acknowledge that how you feel at 25 might be a million times worse than how I felt at 25 and I said several times that high blood sugar is acknowledged to effect mood.

I offered what was intended to be helpful suggestions:
  1. Obtain ambulance records
  2. Seek legal advice
  3. Try to get your blood sugar under control.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

@billmoira I was 25+ when I was diagnosed. I felt ill, exhausted and my vision was very blurry. The last thing I felt like doing was getting in a car....The concern is that if you're saying that you were too ill to give a breath test then you may be asked why you were driving in that condition.

its good you've taken legal advice, as you mentioned above. You don't have to accept that advice. But it might be wise to bear it in mind.

Please do see your doctor. High levels like that are damaging. If you can bring them down, you'll feel a lot better in every way.

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The reason you were not allowed to have water or any medication was if they thought you were driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs this could have had an effect on the test results - either way.

I can't get my head around the scenario you've described, you were driving, felt ill/hyper so pulled over, someone called the police thinking you were drunk, you then drove home? police arrived, a breath test was required, you failed to provide a specimen citing a medical condition excused you from giving one, a paramedic was called, a blood test by them indicated your BG level was high, you were fined for not providing a breath sample and that was it?

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi thanks for your reply you probably think this is a excuse but i had been driving and feet unwell and having a hyperaemia stop my car some call the police said i was drunk.
I was ask to take a breath test but as i was unwell i got very angry my mouth was very very dry in need of a drink of water i told the police i am a diabetic and siad i need of water and police siad no
Are you saying that you think asking a diabetic to do a breath test is wrong so were you making a stand by refusing to do it

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
I think the suggestion to obtain legal advice is wise. Whatever way you look at this, it sounds like your driving was erratic enough that somebody reported you to the police. I do wonder if you would have bothered to call the paramedics if the police hadn't arrived and asked you to give the breath test?
You obviously have very high sugars on a regular basis. If they are so bad that they affect your driving, why are you getting behind the wheel? DVLA would take a pretty dim view of this, its your responsibility to ensure you are able to drive safely and it sounds like this is in doubt.

This forum is very supportive in helping people manage their diabetes, if that's what will help you. But if you drove, knowing you were that high, its irresponsible - and you can curse at me all you like over that one. Lives could be at risk.

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
We are all trying to help you both legally and medically, but we need to know all the facts and order of events to fully understand the situation you're in so we can provide useful advice.

Last edited by a moderator:

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I actually now wonder if unable to provide a breath test due to hyper whether it could still be considered as driving under the influence of drugs... Like a T1 if hypo...

Levels of 25 don't just come about and mine at 30 have been due to a pump bolus not working after I ate and rose within 30 minutes.. And not having a pen accessible or a change of set for 3 hours....(my stupidity-but I wasa passenger in a car, not driving)....

I would personally err on the side of caution here.. You are the person responsible for giving your doses of insulin.. Your drug.. And if you don't flgive enough or control them I am seriosly wondering if you could actually be done for a driving offence if you are too ill to take a test..

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
I actually now wonder if unable to provide a breath test due to hyper whether it could still be considered as driving under the influence of drugs... Like a T1 if hypo...

Levels of 25 don't just come about and mine at 30 have been due to a pump bolus not working after I ate and rose within 30 minutes.. And not having a pen accessible or a change of set for 3 hours....(my stupidity-but I wasa passenger in a car, not driving)....

I would personally err on the side of caution here.. You are the person responsible for giving your doses of insulin.. Your drug.. And if you don't flgive enough or control them I am seriosly wondering if you could actually be done for a driving offence if you are too ill to take a test..

The OP is a T2 on oral meds DD.

maureen5752

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi please can someone tell how they feel when there blood sugar levels are 25 or 28 thanks
I was in Middle East for 3 weeks always thirsty & tired & quick tempered, was ill on return flight, drinking bottles & bottles of water,& colapsed in airport on arrival, thought I was just tired went doctor next day, he was shocked, immediately put me on meds, took blood tests & gave me metre & strips! Test regularly & seek help if sugars go high, doctor said my sugars must have slowly been going up over previous 3 months, which is when I had my last test so if your that high get help soon, good luck, stay calm just get help to get bgs under control, I have nerve damage now cos I was ignorante about diabetes good luck

billmoira

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was in Middle East for 3 weeks always thirsty & tired & quick tempered, was ill on return flight, drinking bottles & bottles of water,& colapsed in airport on arrival, thought I was just tired went doctor next day, he was shocked, immediately put me on meds, took blood tests & gave me metre & strips! Test regularly & seek help if sugars go high, doctor said my sugars must have slowly been going up over previous 3 months, which is when I had my last test so if your that high get help soon, good luck, stay calm just get help to get bgs under control, I have nerve damage now cos I was ignorante about diabetes good luck
Very kind of you thank you

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
When I was first diagnosed, I was told to go to A&E if my blood levels reached over 25

I would suggest contact 111 and asking their advice as soon as you can if your levels are that high
Abs
Hi please can someone tell how they feel when there blood sugar levels are 25 or 28 thanks
Thanks for your reply the paramedics told me they used there own meter
Hi suggest you seek urgent medical advice before I was diagnosed over period of time lost weight felt incredibly tired constantly going the loo ended up in A and E with sugars at 35!!!! I was lucky that got sorted and straight on the road to recovery and now 5 years on pretty stable however have had ongoing problems with neuropathy probably as a result of running very high sugars for a period of time so message is don't ignore all the best

maureen5752

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Very kind of you thank you
Forgot to say check your weight, I lost 9 kilos in very very short time, thought it was cos I was been careful with foods contains sugar but it was cos my bgs were high so seek help if sugars are so high, I've got nerve damage cos I was ignorant of the Damage high bgs can cause, I live with painful burning toes now, get bgs under control, doctor is there to help you good luck, A & E will help if you can't get to your doctor, better safe than sorry

Citizen_Pain

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Not that I suggest you do this, there is legal precedent to claim insanity or automatism as a defence, from activities which occurred during hyperglycaemia. Ive always found that an interesting fact if nothing else.