High blood sugar after low GI breakfast

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
And I take @VivD's point about protein. You may need to add in 50% of the g's of protein to your carb count also !!

lollerhaylz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Lynne C J Thank you, having breakfast earlier is what I will be trying next, it also opens up my options for food because I don't have access to a microwave at work.

@VivD Thank you for the suggestions, I'm going to look into more high fat and protein/low carb options. By HIT do you mean that high intensity exercise? I take the dog out for a 15 min walk every morning so get a bit of exercise in that way but don't have a lot of time for a workout session.

@kitedoc I don't have a particular place that I used for my breakfast injection and I rotate sites so I don't think that's the issue. Leaving a longer time between taking the novorapid and eating is a good idea. I have only been brave enough to take it 15 mins before but I'll try adding another 5 mins and work my way up if it needs longer.

lollerhaylz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Today is a good example of why I am so baffled by my high sugars all week:
Friday means I have a cooked breakfast from the work's canteen, this consists always of 1 slice of toast, 1 slice of bacon, 1 fried egg and 1 hash brown. I count this as being 40g of carbs as an educated guess. So using a ratio of 1 unit:4g (sorry I got it wrong on my original post, this is because I actually see it as 2.5 units:10g) I take 10 units of novorapid.
Pre-meal reading was 9.2, took novorapid 15 mins before eating, 2 hrs later my blood sugar was 8.2! Such a relief after feeling so rubbish all week!
I really think it's the mixed nuts & raisins that are messing everything up. I don't know why but it's as if the insulin just can't touch it.

Reactions: Fairygodmother

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Or just doesn’t touch it til later in the morning. Absorption of carbs for me is very slow. Since wearing the Libre I now treat my levels as though on a pump. Often injecting 6-8 times a day. Sugar surfing is the way for me. Not eligible for a pump and don’t really want one.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Today is a good example of why I am so baffled by my high sugars all week:
Friday means I have a cooked breakfast from the work's canteen, this consists always of 1 slice of toast, 1 slice of bacon, 1 fried egg and 1 hash brown. I count this as being 40g of carbs as an educated guess. So using a ratio of 1 unit:4g (sorry I got it wrong on my original post, this is because I actually see it as 2.5 units:10g) I take 10 units of novorapid.
Pre-meal reading was 9.2, took novorapid 15 mins before eating, 2 hrs later my blood sugar was 8.2! Such a relief after feeling so rubbish all week!
I really think it's the mixed nuts & raisins that are messing everything up. I don't know why but it's as if the insulin just can't touch it.

Brilliant! And a relief! I hope this reaction’s repeated. As many say, it’ll probably depend on you wearing the right socks, the direction the wind’s blowing, meeting a ginger cat, or not, and the conjunction of the planets.
After 49 years of the beast I’ve given up expecting consistent results despite the goodwill of mice and men.

Reactions: maryrachel

maryrachel

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Beetroot
I have had this issue for the last 20 years. If I get up early (5am) my blood sugars soar. But also if I delay breakfast they also soar. So eating as soon as I get up seems to stabilise. On days I get up at 5 I just have to take additional bolus about an hour after waking.