High blood sugar

Tyiaka

So for about a week now my levels have been above 30.0 and im really not sure why, I have a lot of factors, I'm trying to quit smoking, I have a irregular eating pattern, (but that's not been a huge problem before) I have bad depression, and cause I'm up all night solving my blood sugar, a really bad sleeping routine, anyone know how I can get my levels down with out going to hospital

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @Tyiaka

Unfortunately running high blood glucose levels puts you at risk of developing ketoacidosis which is incredibly dangerous, signs to look out for are pear breath, blurry vision, extreme tiredness as well as thirst and urination. If you develop any of these symptoms get to A&E straight away.

As a forum we cannot advise you on what dose of novorapid to take, from a personal point of view I hit insulin resistance when I go above 12 mmol/l, however in your case you need urgent help with your correction doses, have you been given any instruction on is at all and do you have any way to test ketones ?

Tyiaka

Hello @Tyiaka

Unfortunately running high blood glucose levels puts you at risk of developing ketoacidosis which is incredibly dangerous, signs to look out for are pear breath, blurry vision, extreme tiredness as well as thirst and urination. If you develop any of these symptoms get to A&E straight away.

As a forum we cannot advise you on what dose of novorapid to take, from a personal point of view I hit insulin resistance when I go above 12 mmol/l, however in your case you need urgent help with your correction doses, have you been given any instruction on is at all and do you have any way to test ketones ?
To be honest I forgot about ketones but I do 2 to every 1 on my nova, I do have some ketones strips somewhere about in my bag, I have 3 of those symptoms

vic hill

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
sorry to hear about your problems
make sure you check you blood sugars before your meal at whatever time that is then check 2 hours after meal s write it down if still 30 this is what i would do get to your clinic or phone a get there advice or a nurse
now if still not wishing to this ..
are you a pump or syringe extra 3 units plus food bolus but but do check 3 hours after inject and food to see if this will bring it down slowly
if you read this check and recheck if you do blood sugars are still thirty go in to outpatients at hospital and tell them why
ok do it TONIGHT please...... TYIAKA .......
vic novorapid on pump 63 ON INSULIN
ANY ADVICE ON THIS FORUM WITH BLLOD SUGARS THAT HIGH 30 IS A MEDICAL PRIOTY

Reactions: michita

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Ketoacidosis is really really serious and with blood sugars so high for so long you are at high risk.
Honestly, I think you should call 111 right now and get advice.
If you're nervous about making phone calls, so you have any house or flat mates that could do it for you?

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
To be honest I forgot about ketones but I do 2 to every 1 on my nova, I do have some ketones strips somewhere about in my bag, I have 3 of those symptoms

Please contact 111 or get yourself into A&E, showing any of these symptoms suggests you need urgent medical advice, to be honest I wouldn't even bother checking for ketones either, just get yourself sorted and let us know how you are ?

Tyiaka

I found my ketones strips and It's alright, I think it's mostly stress that's got my bg up so very high but I don't understand why I still have symptoms and sorry to concern everyone, Im really not worth all this stress, I'm just being silly, I can ride it out

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I found my ketones strips and It's alright, I think it's mostly stress that's got my bg up so very high but I don't understand why I still have symptoms and sorry to concern everyone, Im really not worth all this stress, I'm just being silly, I can ride it out
You're not being silly, blood sugars that high are very serious, and it's good that you realised this and asked for advice. For as long as your blood sugars are very high, you're at risk of ketosis. Are your sugars finally coming down now? You'll feel pretty rotten till they do, and honestly I'd feel far more comfortable if I knew you'd got some medical attention. (ie call 111, or 999 if you think you might pass out.)
Please say safe, and let us know how you go. I know that all of us who've read your thread will be thinking of you and hoping you feel better soon.

vic hill

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
STESS yes.
thankfully it nice to hear you are back .
hope you get on top of high blood sugars try and get back slowly to under 15 if pos
the acting time of my insulin ACTRAPID is about 6 hours but first 30 mins will boost the fast acting side of things
you still do not say if you are on a pump or injections .
for me if bloods are up to 20 i will give 5 units which in theory will be unit to bring it down by by 2 0n blood sugars so 5 x2 = 10 10 from 20 down to TEN on b/s but taken over a 6 hour period plus then take your food bolus as per normal drink plenty of water or tea to flush out system
learnt this from a mr SING who is from INDIA , and is a pancreas transplant off 12 years
Regards Vic .have a god day TYIAKA
pis? poor preparation .. leads to pis? poor performance ... bit like my footy team bottom of league championship

michita

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

You are not being silly. 30+ is very high. You should go to A&E. It must be very difficult. I don't know what to say but just wish you well.