High blood sugar

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I just eat in moderation pasta rice noodles and I use a small plate and I would measure how much I eat with a scale I want to get rid of the carbohydrates but I dont know what else to eat.

And then you wonder why your blood sugars are high even with your meds?
Cut out the carbs a try a ketogenic diet whilst reducing your medication.
Check out www.dietdoctor.com for food ideas but effectively eat more meat and green veg rather than pasta rice noodles etc..
You are suffering from peaks and troughs of blood sugar, your medication is causing you to go low and your food is creating spikes.

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
I don't know what else to eat I usually used to egg weetabix in the morning now I'm eating 3 eggs and for dinner I will have a small amount of rice with veggies. I dont snack inbetween meals. I try to be sensible I know people who tell me to enjoy life sometime, enjoy a cake and that but my blood sugars aren't in agreement with that.

Hi UsmanMo96,
Do you eat fish? You don't mention meat, so I assume you don't eat it.
Nuts, Cheese, Cream, full fat Yogurt and Avocado are several of the most frequent items in my meals.
I mainly eat leafy Veg which tend to be lower in Carbohydrates than legumes or root veg. However Broccoli and Cauliflower are also good e.g. Cauliflower Cheese or even using Cauliflower or Broccoli 'rice' as a substitute in rice dishes.

UsmanMo96

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Check out www.dietdoctor.com for food ideas but effectively eat more meat and green veg rather than pasta rice noodles etc..
You are suffering from peaks and troughs of blood sugar, your medication is causing you to go low and your food is creating spikes.
Hi UsmanMo96,
Do you eat fish? You don't mention meat, so I assume you don't eat it.
Nuts, Cheese, Cream, full fat Yogurt and Avocado are several of the most frequent items in my meals.
I mainly eat leafy Veg which tend to be lower in Carbohydrates than legumes or root veg. However Broccoli and Cauliflower are also good e.g. Cauliflower Cheese or even using Cauliflower or Broccoli 'rice' as a substitute in rice dishes.

I just had fish just now, I eat meat and veggies.

UsmanMo96

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Anything I can do to fix the blood sugar issue I'm willing to do. For breakfast I usually have porridge or weetabix I've moved to eggs now. I'm just needing to know what I could have for dinner. I'll look up the website and see what I can change thanks.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I just had fish just now, I eat meat and veggies.

Then make those the base of your new way of eating.. monitor blood sugars closely to ensure you don't go low and cut out rice.noodles. pasta, bread and anything with sugar (including sauces). Green veg over underground veg and you'll start to see results.
Sounds like you are restricting calories too which won't help all that much as you'll slow your metabolism and be hungry which will make you more likely to fall off the wagon.

UsmanMo96

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Then make those the base of your new way of eating.. monitor blood sugars closely to ensure you don't go low and cut out rice.noodles. pasta, bread and anything with sugar (including sauces). Green veg over underground veg and you'll start to see results.
Sounds like you are restricting calories too which won't help all that much as you'll slow your metabolism and be hungry which will make you more likely to fall off the wagon.

The calorie restrictions is because I'm trying to lose weight I'm 5 ft 6 and weigh 74.8kg I want to get to 66kg but I want to lose the body fat %

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The calorie restrictions is because I'm trying to lose weight I'm 5 ft 6 and weigh 74.8kg I want to get to 66kg but I want to lose the body fat %
Carbs will make you fat or retain weight.. protein and fats keep you fuller and help with weight loss without unnecessary restriction. I lost 45kgs without counting cals..

UsmanMo96

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Carbs will make you fat or retain weight.. protein and fats keep you fuller and help with weight loss without unnecessary restriction. I lost 45kgs without counting cals..

Thats great! I want to only lose body fat % I want to get rid of the fat around my liver and starting from tomorrow i will cut out carbs and if it works which it definitely will I'll stick to it for as long as I need if my mood and energy changes I'll be on it for life.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thats great! I want to only lose body fat % I want to get rid of the fat around my liver and starting from tomorrow i will cut out carbs and if it works which it definitely will I'll stick to it for as long as I need if my mood and energy changes I'll be on it for life.
Just monitor your blood sugars closely as you don't want to go too low. Maybe speak to your doc about reducing some meds whilst you try dietary changes.

UsmanMo96

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just monitor your blood sugars closely as you don't want to go too low. Maybe speak to your doc about reducing some meds whilst you try dietary changes.

Definitely I'll make appointment next week and I will let my doctor know I'm cutting out carbs. The website you told me about wants me to try a free trial so I'll do that.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It sounds so counterintuitive we know. We’ve been told to avoid fat and count calories for decades. But it’s wrong! Especially for diabetics. We’ve been in your shoes. Desperate for change, scared of eating fats and calories bit done it anyway and reaped the benefits. We improve blood glucose, lose weight, improve cholesterol figures, reduce blood pressure, improve inflammation and pain and a whole lot more. There is a lot of science that backs up what we’re advising. Lots that show it’s more effective than low calorie.

as well as diet doctor there are a large number of low carb/keto site out there with recipes and numerous Facebook groups. Each have their own focus. But as a first step if you have a favourite meal enter that in a google search and add “low carb” or keto” in the search bar and you’ll have lots of alternative ways of making your favourites in a more suitable way. Once on a site explore it for other ideas.

Reactions: ziggy_w

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Definitely I'll make appointment next week and I will let my doctor know I'm cutting out carbs. The website you told me about wants me to try a free trial so I'll do that.
There’s lots on there for free too so you don’t need their program unless you want it.

UsmanMo96

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It sounds so counterintuitive we know. We’ve been told to avoid fat and count calories for decades. But it’s wrong! Especially for diabetics. We’ve been in your shoes. Desperate for change, scared of eating fats and calories bit done it anyway and reaped the benefits. We improve blood glucose, lose weight, improve cholesterol figures, reduce blood pressure, improve inflammation and pain and a whole lot more. There is a lot of science that backs up what we’re advising. Lots that show it’s more effective than low calorie.

as well as diet doctor there are a large number of low carb/keto site out there with recipes and numerous Facebook groups. Each have their own focus. But as a first step if you have a favourite meal enter that in a google search and add “low carb” or keto” in the search bar and you’ll have lots of alternative ways of making your favourites in a more suitable way. Once on a site explore it for other ideas.

I'm happy that so many people are giving me advice and it's very thoughtful, I have had diabetes 5 years and not once was I told to avoid food, just to eat in moderation and I'm upset I wasnt given advice that people on this site have given me. I shall follow the advice and will let everyone know the results. Thanks

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You don't need to sign up for anything the recipe section is mostly free on diet doctor unless it has changed very recently..

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Please don't cut your carbs without stopping the glicazide first, also check whether you need to give it 24 hours after stopping before you cut back. Use the time to research, look for recipes, order strips etc.

A couple of apps for you. copymethat will let you snag any recipe you find on the internet, really helpful. The other one is mysugr. You enter your glucose readings into it before you eat and two hours after, also the food that you consume. After a few days it will give you an estimated hba1c number which will show you how you are trending.

Reactions: HSSS

UsmanMo96

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Please don't cut your carbs without stopping the glicazide first, also check whether you need to give it 24 hours after stopping before you cut back. Use the time to research, look for recipes, order strips etc.

A couple of apps for you. copymethat will let you snag any recipe you find on the internet, really helpful. The other one is mysugr. You enter your glucose readings into it before you eat and two hours after, also the food that you consume. After a few days it will give you an estimated hba1c number which will show you how you are trending.

That's a good idea I'll look up the website I write my blood sugars levels down on my notepad but I'll use the app too. I have been wanting to cut the gliclazide down for many months now. It gives me anxiety and it gives me low blood sugar and it makes me want to eat the whole tub of ice cream

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Cake - google keto chocolate mug cake. Split mixture between 2 ramekins. Serve with double cream.
Rice - google cauliflower rice.
Cauliflower is a wonder veg. Hundreds of variations of cauliflower cheese.

Any food you feel you are missing just google it, put keto first in the search.

Sweeteners. If you have any fur babies xylitol can be fatal, I won't have it in the house. Other than that it is down to your personal tastes.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
makes me want to eat the whole tub of ice cream
Look for Oppo ice cream, Halo Top is another one, but it spikes me personally. Stay away from products "for diabetics", they should be banned.

UsmanMo96

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Look for Oppo ice cream, Halo Top is another one, but it spikes me personally. Stay away from products "for diabetics", they should be banned.

Hopefully when I'm off gliclazide I wont have to have any hypos

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Once you have got a grip of your new diet, you will be able to try other things from time to time. Once I got my numbers down from 122 (starting point) to mid 30s a few months later, I found that I could tolerate a few more carbs. I still try to eat keto, my biggest carb load is breakfast which is scrambled eggs and black pudding around 6 or 7 carbs. At first the black pudding spiked me but now it doesn't.

The main thing is to keep a tight reign on things at first. I won't pretend it is easy. Twice, I waddled to the corner shop for a packet of crumpets, waddled home and fell face first into a plateful. That is carb addiction. Everyone is different but it took me around 4 weeks before I had an epiphany. Suddenly no more hunger, no wish to snack, had to be reminded to eat. And the weight just started to melt away, no effort. AND the numbers continued to plumet.

The information on this site and contained within the wisdom that are the forum members is absolutely massive. We have mostly been where you are now. Ask and you will receive more information than you can process! You can't ask a silly question, so don't worry about that.

Reactions: HSSS