High Fasting BG reading

Tazza67

Hi I am newly diagnosed. I get high readings in the morning (e today 8.5)even if I went to bed with a low one. The only thing I eat at bedtime is a statin (altovorstatin). Does this cause the spike?
I not taking any diabetes meds ATM. Thanks

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Some statins raise blood glucose levels. Also check out the dawn phenomenon.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Does this cause the spike?

I assume you are T2?

You are possibly/probably suffering from something called the dawn phenomena, where your liver helpfully (if you weren't T2) pumps out sugar when you first wake up so as to give you energy for the day (eg so you can go and chase down that mammoth).

As your body can't process carbs properly, your bg levels rise.

A lot of T2s on here who go into remission by lowering their carbs say that their dawn reading is the very last one to eventually come down.

Good luck.

Reactions: Tazza67 and Keesha

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

sno0opy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Welcome to the forum @Tazza67 ! As the others have said it sounds like dawn phenomenon, here’s an article about it. It’s also worth knowing is that fasting levels are often the last to come down:
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/blood-glucose/dawn-phenomenon.html
You might also find this info useful too:
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/basic-information-for-newly-diagnosed-diabetics.17088/

Interestingly that article does not specify what "unusually high levels" are which would be very helpful. So is a 5 to 6 high, a 7 to 8, 8+?

Since every one gets a ump of glucose to process in the morning diabetic or not, im assuming directly after waking is not the same as a fasting level. A normal person may have increased levels in the blood for the same reasons?

I will add this to things i test on my wife for interest lol

Lilylala

With me I have always had high morning bs readings ( 10.4) this morning .I am T2 and is taking humulin m3 injection and been OMAD since 1/2/20 .My morning bs is high due to as mentioned above by Rachox, I inject 8 units ( pre omad I was on 40) I drink 3 litres of water a day , by 7 pm I test and bs is 4 to 5 inject 12 units ( was 40 per omad) then eat tea which is usually meat/ potatoes/ salad , by bed my Bs is 6 to 7 .

Tazza67

I assume you are T2?

You are possibly/probably suffering from something called the dawn phenomena, where your liver helpfully (if you weren't T2) pumps out sugar when you first wake up so as to give you energy for the day (eg so you can go and chase down that mammoth).

As your body can't process carbs properly, your bg levels rise.

A lot of T2s on here who go into remission by lowering their carbs say that their dawn reading is the very last one to eventually come down.

Good luck.
Thanks

NéjiSaïdi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Fake knowledge
Hi I am newly diagnosed. I get high readings in the morning (e today 8.5)even if I went to bed with a low one. The only thing I eat at bedtime is a statin (altovorstatin). Does this cause the spike?
As some comments have pointed out, this might be due to the dawn phenomenon. To eliminate this possibility, might check your blood sugar 3 or 4 hours after breakfast. If it still above usual values, the dawn phenomenon is rules out. Anyways, you need to keep carbs as low as possible. If you manage to attain the amount your body processes with sugar spikes, your lipid profile might improve and your GP might decide to de-prescribe your statins.

MarkHaZ123

I wish mine were always just 8.5 haha

Before my diagnosis of type 1 my morning readings were 16+ and night times mid 20s+

Diet control should help and there are plenty of people on here who can help with questions you may have

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Statins raised my glucose levels overall, but didn't cause spikes. I'd agree that the dawn phenomenon is the most likely reason, as has already been suggested.