High Fibre Snacks / Breakfast

MrPeaky

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hey all,

Still plodding along and coming up to five years in the remission bracket.

For the most part I have just skipped breakfast but with a new training schedule and focus on fitness looking to have a solid three meals a day, in part to keep me fuelled all day and to keep the digestive system flowing.

Looking to add a decent breakfast with a good portion of fibre, I know I don't get enough fibre as it is, so open to suggestions and or supplements to help with this.

Dinner and Tea are fine salad / veg and meat

Open to any suggestions and options.

Have a couple of Libre 2 sensors to use so can experiment a little bit.

Also any one user

Worth the yearly cost?

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @MrPeaky

If you scroll down to near the bottom of the link that you posted it gives you the costs per month/half year & yearly the yearly is approx £69 which they say is the best value. Sorry I’m not a user so can’t comment on what it’s like

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hey all,

For the most part I have just skipped breakfast but with a new training schedule and focus on fitness looking to have a solid three meals a day, in part to keep me fuelled all day and to keep the digestive system flowing.

Looking to add a decent breakfast with a good portion of fibre, I know I don't get enough fibre as it is, so open to suggestions and or supplements to help with this.

Also any one user

Worth the yearly cost?
Hi - it's maybe a bit difficult for folks to respond without knowing what sort of regime you're on - in terms of carb count etc. and what else you're eating.

Personally I almost never have breakfast but if I do it will be a fry-up, and I won't want to eat much until the next day. I seem to get enough fibre anyway from green veg, olives and nuts. How about an omelette/poached eggs with spinach? You'll see similar described as "eggs florentine" - but obvs no muffin.

MrPeaky

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi - it's maybe a bit difficult for folks to respond without knowing what sort of regime you're on - in terms of carb count etc. and what else you're eating.

Personally I almost never have breakfast but if I do it will be a fry-up, and I won't want to eat much until the next day. I seem to get enough fibre anyway from green veg, olives and nuts. How about an omelette/poached eggs with spinach? You'll see similar described as "eggs florentine" - but obvs no muffin.
Lunch is normally Fatty protein with salad coleslaw and a few eggs.

Dinner Same again but with Veg.

Through the day post gym will be a protein bar normally a grenade, or a shake depending what's been on offer this month.

Carbs wise Under under 30, without a bar, under 50 with.

Keeps me in the 4.5-7.0 range and under 6.0 2 hours post.

I can push more carbs than stated if I work out and when I go out once a month for a meal I eat like a non T2 and my bloods never go above 7.8 but they tend to stick at 6.5-7.0 for a few hours, but the once a month meal keeps me sane tbh.

Reactions: Antje77

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
For fibre, I 'd suggest milled seeds mixed with plain yoghurt and a few berries. Made the night before it will thicken , or you can do several days ahead, or on the day . It's very adaptable. Start with 1 or 2 tablespoons seeds and see how you "go" . You may need to adjust amounts up or down

Reactions: MrPeaky

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Reactions: MrPeaky

shelley262

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hey all,

Also any one user

Worth the yearly cost?
I started my low carb journey nearly 7 years ago as a member of the low carb programme which was being piloted and was free at that time. For me at the time moving from a very high carb low fat way of eating and also starting with very high hba1c of 97 I found it really useful to help me to have confidence to lower my carbs and up my fats. However I think it's probably not going to be as helpful to you as someone who has made the leap and kept it going for so long. I certainly didn't use the programme after working through the course and don't now.
Why not look at ideas from good keto or low carb sites such as diet doctor

I tend to mainly have home made kefir and eggs for breakfast but also often add fibre through low carb bread which is often high fibre. I don't eat them but there are a fair few keto granola type recipes out there or commercial ones from low carb companies.

• Informative
Reactions: MrPeaky and Antje77

MrPeaky

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
For fibre, I 'd suggest milled seeds mixed with plain yoghurt and a few berries. Made the night before it will thicken , or you can do several days ahead, or on the day . It's very adaptable. Start with 1 or 2 tablespoons seeds and see how you "go" . You may need to adjust amounts up or down
Will head out to shops tomorrow pick some up give it a go TY :)

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm not a member either, but I think the program is significantly higher carb than your current diet.
The programme is what you make it. There are lots of suggestions, but no prescribed meal plans, unless the individual chooses to use some of those provided.

• Informative
Reactions: Antje77

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@MrPeaky as someone who lives with chronic constipation (errant thyroid in the mix), if I want the ease my system along a bit (Ahem....), then I up the fat. One of my favoured breakfasts is full fat yoghurt with some berries.

If I need to gain weight, or stop a loss, I sometimes add a dose of double cream to that, although that starts getting a bit rich for my personal taste.

Paul_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
For higher fibre sources, which would traditionally be associated with breakfast, I use:

Chia seeds - 15g mixed into greek yogurt, gives 5g fibre.

Livlife bread - Available from Waitrose. 4g fibre per slice for only 3.4g carbs.

Brocolli or mushrooms, generally with eggs of some form.

Low carb rolls (12.1g fibre, 1.4g carbs per roll) - https://handcraftedbread.co.uk/product/low-carb-bread-rolls/

If money is no object, you could supplement by adding psyllium husk powder into meals. It's high fibre, but very expensive in my opinion.

Reactions: Zhnyaka

MrPeaky

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
For higher fibre sources, which would traditionally be associated with breakfast, I use:

Chia seeds - 15g mixed into greek yogurt, gives 5g fibre.

Livlife bread - Available from Waitrose. 4g fibre per slice for only 3.4g carbs.

Brocolli or mushrooms, generally with eggs of some form.

Low carb rolls (12.1g fibre, 1.4g carbs per roll) - https://handcraftedbread.co.uk/product/low-carb-bread-rolls/

If money is no object, you could supplement by adding psyllium husk powder into meals. It's high fibre, but very expensive in my opinion.

This will work nicely thankyou. two of them a day will add in a good chunk of what I am missing.

Excellent stuff ty.

Yeah the husk is a good option but like you say way too many ££