High morning bs

DaisyDuke 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Selfish arrogant people.
I’ve been T2 for about 5 years now and been in remission after abandoning Metformin and following the low carb diet, my morning bs have until recently been between 5-6. But in the last 6 months they have been in the 6’is and now 7,8 and 9 this morning.

I really cannot understand why, I recently had annual blood test, my hba1c was 46... I exercise every day, after breakfast which bring my bs down, don’t eat lunch and then dinner, but it seems that unless I workout after each meal my blood sugar does not move?

Any suggestions?

Reactions: saky
M

Matt2023

Hi Daisy,

Only a suggestion but could it be the "morning phenomenon" that I seem to experience most mornings.

Apart from that I am not too sure, but there is bound to be someone on here who can also point you in the right direction.

Thanks

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I’ve been T2 for about 5 years now and been in remission after abandoning Metformin and following the low carb diet, my morning bs have until recently been between 5-6. But in the last 6 months they have been in the 6’is and now 7,8 and 9 this morning.

I really cannot understand why, I recently had annual blood test, my hba1c was 46... I exercise every day, after breakfast which bring my bs down, don’t eat lunch and then dinner, but it seems that unless I workout after each meal my blood sugar does not move?

Any suggestions?
Hi @DaisyDuke 2
It could be dawn phenomenon. Are you testing when you rise or just before your first meal?
As waiting for about half an hour after waking before eating will give you a better consistent fasting test.
However, isn't there always? Most T2s, do not bother with fasting tests and use pre meal and two hours after to see what those results bring.
If your two hours after reading is more than 2mmols higher than pre meal test, then something in the meal is causing a spike, and needs to be either avoided or reduced in portion size.

Exercise is a bit of an individual thing. Some it doesn't bother but others cannot do much exercise especially if it's vigorous because when you deplete your energy, the body responds with a liver dump, which is called glucogenisis.
I can do some walking, but anything more strenuous is not conducive.
What I do and have seen this explained as a good way of controlling all manner of blood glucose control, fifteen minutes after eating, go for a walk or do some chores for fifteen minutes. Apparently with a low carb diet, this will reduce your spike by at least 1mmols.

It is with dietary treatment, with exercise, so individual, and trial and error, experimenting with exercise, will you find what you need to get out of it.

Best wishes

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
Just a few thoughts
Have you been under any extra stress lately, any change in the quality of your sleep, any other illness or different medication, are your test strips in date, are you using a different batch of strips, have you let a few extra carbs sneak back into your diet.
Your HbA1c of 46 puts you firmly in the pre diabetic range, almost nudging the full blown T2 level. Maybe cutting some more carbs out could get that lower and improve your fasting numbers.
I've seen all sorts of suggestion here, not eating too late the night before, a glass or two of wine before bed (that works by the way but hardly healthy) having something to eat like some cheese or nuts as soon as you wake is another idea to stop the dawn phenomenon in its tracks.
I gave up testing my Fasting levels years ago, is seemed to me that I couldn't really do anything to alter them. So I concentrate on keeping my level as low as possible after meals. Hoping to reduce the amount of sugar stored in my liver and improve my insulin resistance. Which in theory at least, should improve your fasting levels

• Agree
Reactions: ianf0ster and filly