Reactions: 2 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
This is your basal rate.. How much were you previously raising your increases in units by?

lcarter

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
My pancreas
I raised my basal by 2 every 3 days

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Did you ever do the basal fasting checks as mentioned in our previous discussions? You really need to get that right before anything else.

Reactions: 6 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Did you ever do the basal fasting checks as mentioned in our previous discussions? You really need to get that right before anything else.

Whats your total bolus compared to total basal on an average day?

Have you done basal testing?

Are you increasing basal dose now wvery 3 days?

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Nothing stays the same with doses.... Ie winter doses can be different to summer, breakfast bolus ratio can be different to evening meal...

Have you got a record of the last doses you were using when ur levels have been under 10?

Reactions: 6 people

lcarter

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
My pancreas
Yes I did the basal tests. ( I did mention this earlier) I went from 19 to 13 in 6 hours in the morning.

I dont have a typical day if im honest as my ratios don't add up so they change. Im not increasing basal its just increased to 22 last night.

lcarter

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
My pancreas
Nothing stays the same with doses.... Ie winter doses can be different to summer, breakfast bolus ratio can be different to evening meal...

Have you got a record of the last doses you were using when ur levels have been under 10?

No I didn't need to then. However I had a ratio of 1:10g am. 0.5:10g 1:10g pm lantus was 30 units at 9pm.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Yes I did the basal tests. ( I did mention this earlier) I went from 19 to 13 in 6 hours in the morning.

I dont have a typical day if im honest as my ratios don't add up so they change. Im not increasing basal its just increased to 22 last night.

Basal testing for more than 6 hours? Ie an over night, a morning and a afternoon and an evening? Its a whole 24 hr overview needed...over a few days.. Not a whole day starving...

Incidentally, have you checked your fridge is at the correct temperature??

Your food bolus aren't really a concern as much as your basal rates. As a rule of thumb if you go high or low 2-3 hours after eating then its your bolus...

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
looking at the pages from your diary i still don't think you have your insulin to carb ratios sorted out.

I know it can be a pain but you might want to start weighing your food and getting hold of the Gem collins calorie counter.
you can get a copy on line from amazon for about £3-£4

I am in the process of applying to go on a pump and they have me completing in depth 24 hour diaries listing everything I do and at what times to build a proper picture of how i live.
another chat with your Diabetes care team would be good too.

lcarter

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
My pancreas
Well the diabetes team told me to measure my basal test from waking, all the way through to lunch. I did it from 6 am until I had lunch at 2pm. I had an omelette mid morning. My dsn said I didnt need to do much more than that?

I use carbs to cals book, and I have completed a dafne course so I am interested in which part of the food diary looks like I am getting it wrong? I thought I was really close to that to be honest.

My diabetes team are out until Monday so until then I am just sitting correcting and still staying at 20. Again, any advice would be great.

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for uploading your diary :)

Though this is just a brief snapshot , this and what you have described does sound to me that it's mainly a basal issue . Because you are having issues when you adjust the dose of basal , it sounds very like it could be the Lantus. As it was explained to me, though Lantus works very well for many people, some individuals body chemistry causes Lantus to erratically release rather than a controlled slow release. So it's possible to have crashing hypos ( too fast release) and also not keeping a steady basal dose going ( too slow or inadequate release ) If this happens to be true in your case, then your switch to Levemir should see a positive change in stability. Until that is achieved it's probably best to leave your Bolus ratio alone though it will likely need adjusting anyway later on. As @donnellysdogs has said - they often need adjusting anyway, for no discernible reason :rolleyes: Oh such fun !

One wee suggestion I would make from your diary entry is maybe consider roundin up at times rather than down. For example, for 38g carb, bolus 4 units rather than 3.5 as at a ratio of 1:10 38g is closer to 40g . It's a small change but can make a difference.

Oh and if you can get hold of a DAFNE diary or download the DAFNE app, because the BG changes and patterns are so much easier to see . I hate diaries personally, and moan like a kid at filling 'em in but do so to spot patterns when things are mot going as I want them :mad:

Onwards and downwards !:D

Signy

Reactions: 5 people

lcarter

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
My pancreas
Thank you so much. Very helpful suggestions there which I shall endeavor to do!

I cannot get hold of levemier till next week- would I be better upping my lantus or just correcting until then? (Although that's not really working either!) Just checked levels. 21. :( thankyou again.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Thank you so much. Very helpful suggestions there which I shall endeavor to do!

I cannot get hold of levemier till next week- would I be better upping my lantus or just correcting until then? (Although that's not really working either!) Just checked levels. 21. :( thankyou again.

Up it....

Reactions: 2 people