High sugar levels AGAIN feeling upset :(

lcarter

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
My pancreas
I have tried omelette today and yesterday :) salad for lunch? With crackers. Nom

lcarter

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
My pancreas
Going to check levels in half an hour. Then its been 2 hours since I corrected. Gahh. So tired.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have tried omelette today and yesterday :) salad for lunch? With crackers. Nom
some find they need to bolus for some of the protein when there is no/low carb, [~50% TAG total available glucose]

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Can we get back to your original post. Did your DN really tell you to reduce your Basal? If so I'm afraid I would do the opposite if your blood sugar is too high you INCREASE your insulin. I think splitting your insulin might make getting the balance more complicated at this time although many do it to get a flatter profile but you then need to work out the split ratio. Try to get the Basal right first. Although several posters have indicated the best way to work out what you need you can get it approximately right by adjustung Basal until your morning fasting is between 5 to 7 mmol. You make very small adjustmens day by day using the meter to avoid hypos; this is how I do it. What is your BMI? If higher than it should be it will make insulin dose adjustment difficult due to insulin resistance. A low-carb diet will help with this. I'm obviously guessing a bit and there may well be several other factors at play here but I'm not convinced changing to Levemir will make a big difference, but it would not do any harm to change to it.

lcarter

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
My pancreas
Hi. Can we get back to your original post. Did your DN really tell you to reduce your Basal? If so I'm afraid I would do the opposite if your blood sugar is too high you INCREASE your insulin. I think splitting your insulin might make getting the balance more complicated at this time although many do it to get a flatter profile but you then need to work out the split ratio. Try to get the Basal right first. Although several posters have indicated the best way to work out what you need you can get it approximately right by adjustung Basal until your morning fasting is between 5 to 7 mmol. You make very small adjustmens day by day using the meter to avoid hypos; this is how I do it. What is your BMI? If higher than it should be it will make insulin dose adjustment difficult due to insulin resistance. A low-carb diet will help with this. I'm obviously guessing a bit and there may well be several other factors at play here but I'm not convinced changing to Levemir will make a big difference, but it would not do any harm to change to it.

Hi. Yes my dsn did tell me to drop my lantus based on my basal test in the morning where my levels dropped.

Interesting info again, thank you.

My bmi is high yes. I am joining slimming world tomorrow to combat this, and they do support lower carbs too.

Thanks.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Well my dsn checked my tummy sites and said they were ok. Does the insulin injected into lumpy bits suddenly release?! How terrifying.

It's called lipohypertrophy and the condition can alter the absorption of Insulin. I've got this, but I have been injecting for 25 years, so I use other area's. Just reading your posts and you are still very high, I really feel for you.:( Hope you get it sorted out very soon.

Best wishes RRB

Reactions: 6 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
It's called lipohypertrophy and the condition can alter the absorption of Insulin. I've got this, but I have been injecting for 25 years, so I use other area's. Just reading your posts and you are still very high, I really feel for you.:( Hope you get it sorted out very soon.

Best wishes RRB

Just concerns me that nobody can actually see whats going on under the skin.

With levels in 20's I wld be injecting in my arm...

Reactions: 4 people

lcarter

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
My pancreas
In terms of keytones I have checked my ketostix and I have 0.5 which is trace. Checking levels in a few mins.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Just concerns me that nobody can actually see whats going on under the skin.

With levels in 20's I wld be injecting in my arm...

True, dd, I didn't have any idea at the time of under skin lumpiness, but I do use my my arms, well the left one mainly, it must be so frustrating for Icater and worrying too.

RRB

lcarter

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
My pancreas
Two hours after QA my levels are 20.9. Do I take more QA or wait a little longer? Unsure.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Two hours after QA my levels are 20.9. Do I take more QA or wait a little longer? Unsure.

2 hours after adjusting it's still so high. If it was me I would ring NHS diect, asap and ask for advice. number is 111

Take care

RRB

Reactions: 2 people

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

I too would ring for help on it or even go to A&E and let them sort it out if your ketones rise

Do you have another box you can get a pen from? it could be crook insulin

JUST my non-insulin taking opinion, a T2, if it was me I'd follow sickday rules
Sick day rules
http://www.diabetes-support.org.uk/info/?page_id=141
http://www.diabetes-healthnet.ac.uk...flet_-_Sick_Day_Rules_for_Type_1_-_Nov_13.pdf

Sick day rules flowchart
http://www.leicestershirediabetes.org.uk/uploads//documents/Type1 Sick_day_rules_InsulinV3.pdf

lcarter

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
My pancreas
Well I have decided to take another 5 units of QA. Ive managed to get them down yesterday with lots of quick acting. I would much rather avoid A&E unless absolutely necessary as I don't feel unwell. Will check levels again in an hour. If they don't move downwards I may call 111. Thank you.

Reactions: 5 people

Ilya83

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
About 10-15 OR hippo :confused: But no worries! I'll manage it somehow. Working on it :cool:

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anyone retested their blood yet ? feeling a little motherly with you girls ?. dd will be asking as well I expect
RRB
IIya, I hope you will be okay
RRB

lcarter

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
My pancreas
Ahhh. Im at 19.4. It's under 20!! My QA will show after 2 hours so will update then. Hoping I will be at about 15 then I can fall asleep as I am very tired now x