High sugar levels AGAIN feeling upset :(

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
i feel so bad for you --- your BG's are double what i consider to be my top of range.
i think because we all see things that could be the issue we are slightly bombarding you with suggestions.

first thing to remember is this is a marathon not a sprint race and small steps taken slowly will get you there hopefully without rebounding blood sugars-- take care - with you for sure !!!!

Reactions: 2 people

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Another thing to consider is that Lantus does not last 24 hours as originally claimed, and does have a gradual peak ( in most people ) . When you split it and experienced hypos before, was it split 50/50 and the hypos happened overnight ?

Signy

lcarter

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
My pancreas
:( I have just taken 10 units to correct it as I had some leftover ham & oven chips for tea.. im hoping it brings them down 1:1 so I am at about 13 before bed..which is high but a **** sight better than 23.. will increase my lantus to 24 too. Four weeks ago my lantus was at 30 now its 22 so it must be that.. im terrified I wont lie. I have tried everything to get them down.

lcarter

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
My pancreas
Another thing to consider is that Lantus does not last 24 hours as originally claimed, and does have a gradual peak ( in most people ) . When you split it and experienced hypos before, was it split 50/50 and the hypos happened overnight ?

Signy

Yes it was 50/50 and my hypos were in the day time. Eventually we dwindled the daytime down and I had 20 in the evening and 8 or 10 in the morning.

Emmotha

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
From snippet one your basal actually looks relatively stable from pre-bed to morning, raising by one. Does this happen every night? According to DAFNE the problem doesn't look so much basal, but you are going to bed too high. Also you are raising in the morning too, which could be dawn phenomenon.

Please could you send us your pre-bed and morning readings for a few days?

lcarter

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
My pancreas
From snippet one your basal actually looks relatively stable from pre-bed to morning, raising by one. Does this happen every night? According to DAFNE the problem doesn't look so much basal, but you are going to bed too high. Also you are raising in the morning too, which could be dawn phenomenon.

Please could you send us your pre-bed and morning readings for a few days?

Yes I can do. Honestly what I seem to see is that my levels are stable until I eat!! Them they go high and stay high. Then randomly my qa insulin works super quick ie within one hour! Very bizarre.

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Roll on the Levmir prescription ! :rolleyes::D

Seriously , @himtoo is absolutely right, it's a long haul not a sprint and while we ALL have times
when we're as frustrated as hell it will get sorted in the end :rolleyes: There are many roads still left to try and explore and I know it can drive you bats that the process seems so sloooooow ! But your trying hard and doing all the right things so big kudos to you :)

Signy

Reactions: 4 people

lcarter

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
My pancreas
Im hating these levels. In six years this has never happened :(

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I forgot to ask.....
What's your bolus insulin ?
Is it in date ?
Is the pen working OK ?
Injection sites rotated ?

All my usual cockpit drill questions when things are not working as I expect them to ! ;)

Signy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hi, just had a thought, could you have lumpy injection site area's, as this would cause problems with the Insulin not getting into your system, I had this is my tummy area, so was told to stop using that area.

Take care RRB

lcarter

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
My pancreas
I forgot to ask.....
What's your bolus insulin ?
Is it in date ?
Is the pen working OK ?
Injection sites rotated ?

All my usual cockpit drill questions when things are not working as I expect them to ! ;)

Signy
Haha! Novarapid. It expires in sep 2015. Brand new pen. Injection sites in a smile shape on tummy! :)

lcarter

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
My pancreas
Hi, just had a thought, could you have lumpy injection site area's, as this would cause problems with the Insulin not getting into your system, I had this is my tummy area, so was told to stop using that area.

Take care RRB
Well my dsn checked my tummy sites and said they were ok. Does the insulin injected into lumpy bits suddenly release?! How terrifying.

lcarter

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
My pancreas
Took 10 units an hour ago and my levels are now 24.4. How confusing! In other news just took my lantus and did a slight increase to 24. Changed my insulin vial in my novarapid too.

Emmotha

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My correction doses usually take about 2 hours to work and in that time I usually give myself more to compensate

Could you reduce your carbs in the mean time to reduce spikes?

Reactions: 3 people

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Hello,
Until we see a snippet of your food / insulin diary we are all guessing really.
The more info you can give the better the advice will be :)
Took 10 units an hour ago and my levels are now 24.4. How confusing! In other news just took my lantus and did a slight increase to 24. Changed my insulin vial in my novarapid too.

There is a usually 2 hour 'onset' action with basal insulins .
Means the peak performance of the insulin injected 'kicks in' .

Try retest in another hour - and hopefully your BG levels will
have come down .

I use Levemir basal insulin and it does take 2hours for the onset with myself .

lcarter

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
My pancreas
My correction doses usually take about 2 hours to work and in that time I usually give myself more to compensate

Could you reduce your carbs in the mean time to reduce spikes?
Im not eating now.. I wanted cheese & crackers and red wine but settled for a few small glasses of prosecco....

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I too was going to suggest a lower carb intake, when I saw the 80g for breakfast. I would suggest 40g a meal for a while

lcarter

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
My pancreas
There is a usually 2 hour 'onset' action with basal insulins .
Means the peak performance of the insulin injected 'kicks in' .

Try retest in another hour - and hopefully your BG levels will
have come down .

I use Levemir basal insulin and it does take 2hours for the onset with myself .
Sorry I meant I took my correction (novarapid) an hour ago.

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Im not eating now.. I wanted cheese & crackers and red wine but settled for a few small glasses of prosecco....
o_O Booze with me - makes my levels plummet downwards .
Keep eye on yourself please :)