higher than expected results

whatashock

Good morning from sunny majorca.

I am a type 2 who decided that whilst on holiday I would male sure that I ate. Although for the last few weeks I have lowered my carbs with no pasta very little potatoes and no alchohol, I have been eating these foods and I have ha some wine (very frustrating as I am all inclusive)

My levels have been really good during the day and even 2 hours after dinner (I only check this at the moment)

The last two mornings I have been 8.0 an 8.2.
Last night two hoes after dinner I was 5.8.

When I went to test myself this mornig ) and possibly yesterday) I could not get enough blood out my finger so I tried again with a different finger. Is it a mixture of blood that is causing this wierd Reading?,

Looking forward to responses.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Good morning whatashock, from a quite sunny Sutton Coldfield. 8)

Your morning readings should be between 4 - 7 mmol/l on waking, so the 8's are much too high.
I am not sure what you mean by 'mixture of blood ' ? :?

You need to make sure that you rub your hands/fingers together to encourage blood circulation and also check the depth of your finger pricker device. You should be able to get an adequate drop of blood then. Most meters only need a tiny drop of blood nowadays.

Ken.

sandymaynard

Morning whatashock
I get that problem with not enough blood, if you rub your finger before then your finger will give the blood up no problem!
Sounds nice where you are!
Are you drinking enough? When i get dehydrated my blood sugar goes up! as my body does weird stuff to compenstate for lack of drink in it!
Maybe with the heat you are using up more food, are you walking alot?
I know may sound weird but your liver could be dumping because of the heat to compenstate for the loss of sweat etc! As far as our bodies are concerned in the heat of summer we lose salt through sweat!
if we lose too much salt our bodies crave sugar to try and replace the amount of salt that we have lost!
I hope that this may help in some way! Sounds like your body is overcompensating at night times, What are you eating with in 2 hours of going to bed?
Sandy

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Whatashock
The others have told you the right things, may I make another suggestion though?
I never test on my fingers. they hurt too much. My finger pricker allows for alternative site testing( check your manual!) always use the inside of my forearm. If using my Freestyle Mini meter, I get enough blood, but if I use the free Contour I got, I need more, so I rub a bit harder. that's the benefit of the Mini. It uses so little blood.
As to higher readings
Possibly a delay in getting glucosee through into your blood from the extra carbs. If you eat late, you slow things down and if you have a complication called Gastroparesis, you never know how long it takes.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Whilst what hanadr says is basically correct, please be aware of the following.

An extract from a Bg momitor instructions booklet.

Note on Alternative Site Testing:
Some blood glucose meters can use blood samples from the upper arm, forearm, base of the thumb, or thigh.Using alternative sites gives you more options.

Be aware that blood glucose levels from these sites may not always be as accurate as readings from the fingertips. Alternative site results differ from fingertip results when glucose levels are changing rapidly such as after a meal, after taking insulin, during exercise, or when you are ill or under stress.

Use blood from a fingertip rather than an alternative site if:
• you think your blood glucose is low,
• you don't regularly have symptoms when your blood glucose is low, or
• how you feel doesn’t match the results from the alternative site.
Caution: Not all meters can use blood from alternative sites, and not all alternative sites are
the same. Only test from sites that are identified in the instructions. Alternative site testing is
not for everyone.

Talk with your doctor before you test from a site other than your fingertip.

Ken.

Trinkwasser

whatashock said:
When I went to test myself this mornig ) and possibly yesterday) I could not get enough blood out my finger so I tried again with a different finger.

Make sure to use one of the full ones. <G>

The others may well have a point about dehydration skewing your morning numbers. It looks like you have redeveloped the ability to hit a few more carbs than previously (the wine may be helping) but you are getting some Dawn Phenomenon. Possibly some form of late night snack would help: a cracker and cheese, some nuts and red wine etc.

Thanks for sending some of your Mediterranean weather over here!

whatashock

thanks got all of that. I am sure I am not drinking enough, and the face that I have started to be really thirsty at bed time is probably proof of that.

What I meant in my first post regarding mixing blood is that sometimes when I try, I do get blood on the stick but it does not register, so I then use a different finger, so end up with blood from two fingers on the same stick.

Also, not sute if this is the best mentality, but, I am on holiday, and although I do not want to do myself any harm, I do want to enjoy it.