HIIT and low blood sugar

12oz sirloin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am aware this post might sound like a humblebrag, but it is definitely not meant to be, so I will try to word it carefully...

T2, diag 4 months ago, no medication, went relatively low-carb (100-120g/day), rapid drop in weight and hba1c (38 last time).

Recently returned to HIIT after a few weeks away, as I know I still have more fat to turn to muscle. Did some exercise 90 mins after my now-typical evening meal, relatively low carb but still some carb nonetheless.

Tested after exercise as I was feeling a bit light headed (now 2 hours after meal). 4.0 mmol/l. That's low for me, and after a quick google, seemingly getting close to hypo? Is that right?

I'm torn between two options:

1. Eat more carbs before exercise so I won't go so low, or
2. Keto - eat no more carbs in the hope of training my body to burn fat instead of sugar.

Anyone got any similar experiences or advice?

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Unless you are on drugs that stop your body responding naturally to low BG (you say you are not) then there is no harm in BG going low after exercise. 4.0 mmol/l Is in the normal range for many people, but I expect your body has not experienced BG being normal for many years.

You may find your body responds better to HIIT before eating.

Personally I would keep to keto so your body becomes better at using its own fat stores as it will give you the most flexibility with exercise.

Reactions: 12oz sirloin

sno0opy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
When I first started I could get away with excersise without eating.

Now I'm getting much fitter and can give allot more I need to eat before.

Fundimentaly you need to be able to burn something and with high intensity once your easy to burn is gone your body can struggle to keep up. You won't have a "hypo" but I used to routinely get dizzy and feel sick untill I started having something to eat before I trained. Typically a piece of fruit or similar before a session is enough for me to keep the sickness away. As a note this is nothing to do with diabetics, it's just the same for any person.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi there @12oz sirloin

Congratulations on your progress so far.

As you’re not medicated it’s extremely unlikely that you’ll have a hypo. There could be a number of reasons for the light-headed feeling. Firstly it could be your body reacting because it’s not used to being at 4; equally it could be electrolyte depletion due to the exercise or you could just have overdone things.

In the first instance I’d suggest adding electrolytes (a bit of salt, or some electrolyte powder which has no carbs added) to whatever you’re hydrating with before/during/after exercise. I use this powder: https://www.bulkpowders.co.uk/electrolyte-powder.html

I find that exercising fasted is not only possible, but often improves the intensity at which I’m able to work. I regularly walk long distances (furthest to date 30 miles) water fasted and also swim/lift weights without eating before or immediately after. If I am hungry then I’d eat something with protein rather than carbs as it fits with my way of eating. Having said that, I eat very low carb and am fat adapted, and having been doing this for a while, my body has no problem with dropping into the 3s.

Editing to tag @Mbaker and @rhubarb73 (although I haven’t seen him posting in a while) as they may have some useful insights.

Last edited:

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Hi 12oz Sirloin, I have no personal experience of HIIT on moderate carbs (which is what I feel you are doing).

On the amount of Carbs you're eating you are far away from nutritional Ketosis - thus you are still firmly a 'Carb burner'.

From the information I've gathered on the subject of Carbs and exercise I would suggest that you have a mis-match between your choice of dietary method for controlling your T2D and the style of exercise you have chosen for the same aim.

Low Carb reduces Insulin and as a 'Way Of eating' it causes a slow and steady (safe) means of losing weight. In fact more people say they struggle to stop the weight reduction (when they feel they have lost enough) than those who report Insulin control but no weight loss.

HIIT on the other hand will not turn fat into muscle on 2 counts:
1. Unless you are already completely fat adapted HIIT will cause your BG to go uncomfortably low since it uses up a lot of energy very quickly - thus for people who are not fat adapted it requires more fast acting Carb intake - which doesn't help your T2D or even do as much for your weight as a longer moderate intensity exercise regime would.
2. The best form of exercise for building muscle is resistance exercise such as weight lifting, squats, press-ups etc. So several members doing Low carb/Keto are doing some weights in addition to some brisk walking.

I hope this helps.