Hobbies anyone??

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
I'm a railway modeller. Not train sets, although there's nothing wrong with that, but detailed modelling/construction that takes in historical research, carpentry, metalwork and soldering, creation of scenery, electrics and electronics, you name it - several hobbies in one if you like. I have several projects on the go and help out with friends on theirs. We exhibit them and I've had a couple of articles published.

I also once did an evening class in cabinet making, still have all the tools and some materials, one day ...

Many other things that are interests rather than hobbies - art, old buildings, birds, photography (but all with a digital camera these days, the SLR is in a cupboard somewhere), gardens/gardening, watching sport. Trouble is work gets in the way of doing all this, I need to retire ...

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 6 people

Lenny3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not much
I recently joined a Rock Choir and I'm loving it. Also have just started trying out new nail painting technics, just for me, did consider once doing a nail technician course...maybe one day. But joining the Choir was the best thing I've done for a long time.

Reactions: 7 people

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I also make stuff, I sew, I love fabrics, so make patchwork quilts and bags, and cloth dolls. About to open a shop on Folksy to see if I can sell anything. Need to clear the house for more fabric.

Reactions: 12 people

RosieLKH

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I write although haven't been published yet,am in the process of"fleshing out" my first young adults novel for a publisher, I knit, sew,create jewellery,and handcraft my own greetings cards,envelopes,gift boxes,gift bags,wrapping paper,writing paper and notelets. I also upcycle old furniture and clothes. So like others here my house is a tip,but it's a happy glittery tip.(I also have four stepsons)
We have a lot in common!

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@mo1905, chuckle, I like the story of the 'dirty veg'. I've just harvested my first ever garlic crop. They were dead easy to grow and dig up and I've now got 30 bulbs hanging in the garage. That's a whole lot of garlic cloves. I've tried one and it was as good as Sainsbury's. However, shop-bought look white and clean. Mine are grey and 'dirty'. :eek::D

Reactions: 3 people

Opalshards

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Liars, thieves, users, cruelty, doing the washing up. Lol
I write. I haven't got anything published by a publisher yet, though I've had some lovely rejections - LOL! I have self-published a couple of novels and a book of short stories for Kindle.

I also do watercolour painting. At the moment I'm painting lots of small pictures to turn into greetings cards for a craft stall at our village fair in Sept. I'm also making jewellery, scottie dog keyrings, tin can lanterns and bunting. My house is a tip!

I am very lucky Rosie when Keith started to carve we had an old broken down shed, we have no drive so no garage. So after looking around wooden sheds were so expensive, it was cheaper to buy a pebbledash garage but with just a personal door, and put it across the bottom of the garden. All my craft stuff was in the loft due to family circumstances needing room again for my son and grandson. It was so frustrating and men don't share there sheds, we went out and bought the same kind of thing for me. But a smaller size. Which is great if you can get in it for gardening gear and bikes. However recently tidied up it is so great to be creating things again.

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
@lizdeluz I guess this is not like the wild garlic that goes rampant in our garden if we don't keep on top of it!

Opalshards

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
:rolleyes:

Hi Dawn I too have just registered with Folksy and Etsy . I just need to stage my work now and photograph it. I only have half a dozen sets up to now.

Reactions: 2 people

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Hi Dawn I too have just registered with Folksy and Etsy . I just need to stage my work now and photograph it. I only have half a dozen sets up to now.
What will you be selling?

Opalshards

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I am so glad I started this thread, what an interesting mix of hobbies and pastimes we have.
691-if-you-can-dream-it-you-can-do-it-1.png

Opalshards

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
What will you be selling?

I have started to make beaded jewellery sets, I have been haunting e-bay for stock. There are some beautiful hand worked beads called Lampwork very individual and lovely machine made beads called draw bench beads. I had a go some years ago just bought a small kit with all you need for one or two projects. If you want to have a go you will need a set of small pliers. I was lucky that I had worked in a Wholesale jewellery workshop. But there are loads of helpful videos on Youtube. Or feel free to message me.

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
I too being a hobbyist if that's a word, have just about everything. I also had a go at making jewellery so got all the kit. The trouble with me is that although all my friends want my stuff I don't think its good enough. I now think it is. My little bags and jewellery bags are pretty good. We will have to swap shop names so we can support each other - and make sure we do it!!

Opalshards

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I too being a hobbyist if that's a word, have just about everything. I also had a go at making jewellery so got all the kit. The trouble with me is that although all my friends want my stuff I don't think its good enough. I now think it is. My little bags and jewellery bags are pretty good. We will have to swap shop names so we can support each other - and make sure we do it!!

I know your problem, I am good at giving stuff away but never tried selling. Also going to try Facebook, My DIL sells all sorts on there within this area and people pick them up. So no postage needed.

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@lizdeluz I guess this is not like the wild garlic that goes rampant in our garden if we don't keep on top of it!

I don't know. I remember wild garlic in Bishopston Valley, huge swathes of it smelling quite strongly of garlic, and with starry white flowers. Can wild garlic be used in cooking?
The garlic I grew kept me company in 2 neat and tidy columns over the winter months, in an otherwise pretty sad and barren veg patch.. I followed Monty's advice, putting them in in the Autumn, digging them up the other day after they'd browned and keeled over.

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
You can eat wild garlic.

RosieLKH

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That reminds me of taking a class of 10 yr olds on a school trip and them rolling down a bank where wild garlic was growing - wow did they stink!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 people

reidergirl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yep you can eat wild garlic as well as many other things that most people consider weeds, dandelions being a good one as you can use every part of the plant, I make a mean nettle soup. Oh see that's another hobby, foraging. I also read A LOT.
For those who craft how would you feel about setting up a kind of penpal thing where we send a pack of crafty bits I.e.papers charms ribbon jewellery fixings(nothing too heavy)to one another and we have to make something out of it and then post the finished product on to another member of the group along with a letter.?

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am quite lucky as my hobby is classic cars, I buy one in a baddish condition then enjoy bringing her or he back to a reasonable state. take a little time yet great satisfaction when you hear the engine etc; when it is all done.
images

Reactions: 7 people

RosieLKH

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Today's hobby clothes - très chic! ;) I'm painting tin can lanterns.
P1407171440284.jpg